Another recruiting name

Guest BillikenReport

Why is SLU continuing to recruit big men. Don't they have enough in the fold?

Unless someone is redshirting or shakily verballed, it seems we have quite a few......

Then again, maybe we are too used to seeing teams without any depth at all....

Imagine last years team with two Ian's and Kenny brown and Tom Freicks on the bench (or better.......)

These big kids are going to need all the help they can get to compensate for their inexperience. Maybe RM feels having that edge forged by ultra competitive practices will overcome the natural tentativeness young bigs feel starting out.

I have the same question. The only thing I can think of is that we plan to use BT and WR at the 4 and 5 interchangeably. I only saw BT once and he didn't really strike me as a 4 at all. I know nothing of WR. But, that being said, we have yet to recruit a true power foward...so maybe Reed will play the 4?? Conklin is quoted as saying RM wants to use him at the three. We could have an enourmous lineup for the next few years...

Guest BillikenReport

You can never have enough big guys.

Thompson was recruited to play the five. Willie Reed was recruited to play the four.

When they are freshmen, the only other "big guys" on the roster will be 6-7 sr. Barry Eberhardt and 6-9 jr. Adam Knollmeyer.

Eberhardt and Knollmeyer could start at the four and five spots, with Reed and Thompson backing them up. But then the following season, you'd have Knollmeyer as a senior and Thompson and Reed as sophomores. So where is the depth?

If you don't continue to recruit big men, you're going to have a situation like you'll have this year — Husak, Eberhardt and Knollmeyer represent the best options for those two spots, unless you want to continue to include Luke Meyer as an undersized four.

You need depth. Majerus is building depth and with that he's also setting up the potential for competition every day in practice. That hasn't been the case in recent years, when you've had walk-ons and assistant coaches and Kramer Soderberg playing for the scout team at times in practice because you didn't have enough bodies.

You can also throw Conklin into the mix at the four, even though he was told he was recruited to be a small forward, because you already have other options at small forward like Marcus Relphorde or a smaller shooting guard in a three-guard lineup.

The key to this rebuilding job is adding talent, and RM appears to be doing a good job of that. Now, it looks like he's trying to add the best player he can to the roster — whether it is a shooting guard or a post player.

- Nate

wouldnt you in a perfect traditional sense have 40% of our roster (power forward and center vs two wings and a point guard) be "bigs"?

that would be 5 players on the roster at any time were pure bigs. from a step back perspective, i wouldnt call either eberhardt or relphorde pure bigs. in fact from all reports relphorde should be playing wing exclusively with his skills.

so you lose husak, and if you cant count relphorde and eberhardt, and sounds like conklin has swing capabilities, i would agree with the stocking up of inside players. hell i am thrilled we are trying to stock up on inside players.

Best news is Kansas expresses no interest at this time; although kids have their own dreams, Jim Hinrich, his new coach for his senior year seems

like a pipeline to Kansas where Kirk Hinrich played before the Chicago Bulls

In years past we couldn't even field a team with a true pivot man. Having 2 or 3 is a much better proposition.

I'm just glad we're still recruiting. We have one scholarship left and it sounds like we're going after 4 players we know of.

Gone are the days when we're holding our breath on a players decision hoping to fill our scholarships and always ending up with two unfilled.

True Big Men in the A-10 are rare. Sure everyone has a guy that's 6-10 (at least that's what they list them as) on their roster, but most of them aren't the next coming of Marcus Camby/David West (who wasn't that tall) or Tyrone Hill (who wasn't that tall either). If SLU (or X, or anyone else) can get a true Pivot Man that can bang in the post, you'll win in this conference consistently.