What grade would you give the '08 class that has verbally committed?

My grade is based on what i have heard about the players, watched on youtube and how i see the players filling holes.

The class may even deserve an "A" as is, but it will definitely be an "A+" if we land Suggs or another high quality player.

I have never been this excited about a recruiting class coming to SLU and it's only June of 2007!

the hughes, tatum, baniak, henrich class was more exciting simply because hughes was a world class top 5 recruit plus other perfect support cast players. suggs is a fabulous talent, but by all accounts he isnt a top 10 player like larry was.

but i would have given the hughes class an A+. this one is pretty darn close to that if a suggs comes in as well.

I gave it a B. I think there is a lot of talent here, but to give it an A we need the big time recruit.

If I was giving it a grade compared to past Billiken classes it would be an A

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

If you rate it on what RM has accomplished in a short time and much of it in a dead period, it is a solid A.

If you rate it by what is being accomplished nationally by other programs it is a B and maybe a B-. As it stands right now it is not a top 40 type class. I don't see how you can give anyone outside of the top 40 a grade higher than a B.

In the last 35 years, I would peg this class at the third best. Hughes' class is by far the best, as Baniak and Heinrich had better high school resumes than Reed and Thompson.

Second would be the Claggett/Highmark/Winfield/Grant/left-handed UMSL transfer out that led to our first NCAA win in their junior year.

Fourth through eighth would be a dogfight with the classes led by Roland Gray, Anthony Bonner, Jimmie Irving, and Harry Rogers contending for rank.

As far as the letter grade, with regard for the timeline, it's an A-.

With regard to the future, I fully expect this staff to sign no one lower than a three star in future classes, unless it is someone who flies under the radar, like Lisch did by not playing AAU. We are musch better situated than RM was in Utah, so we should see a better basement level of talent coming in every year than he had at Utah.

I would put the Clagget/Highmark and the Hughes led class as a tie for the best. I think it is little early to put this class anywhere close to those two. It could be, but we will have to wait to see how this class performs on the court before we do that.

It really depends on your grading scale, if you want to grade on being competitive in the A10, then you it would get a B+ or an A-. If you are talking about comparing it to National Programs then you would give it a C or C+ at best.

brian in hindsight you are correct only because we had no idea that a venice high school skinny kid would translate into the star that erwin claggett became.

that said, upfront we expected huge profits from julian winfield, so maybe that also puts that class ahead. of course winfield and grant (horrible knee injury that freshman year) never came to fruition for the billikens either.

many times i think a lot of the credit for claggett highmark memories get skewed because of h. waldman who was not a part of that recruiting class. h is the best point guard we had in the last 20 years.

Good point. My as they always are, was relative to the conference, past SLU classes, the team's needs and the strength of the players. My grade was not based on a side-by-side comparison with any other recruiting class. I agree, this recruiting class would probably be just above average or in the C+ - B- range on a national basis.

Had to be the Douglass/Gray class. That class saved the program from going Division 3.

This class, '08 is important, but the next one will be the real key to the Majerus era. He will have a full year to work on that class and we will get a real feel for what he will be able to get done on the recruiting trail. If it is as good as I think it will be, watch out.

The way I would rate the class is if the recruits coming in will be able to be a major scorer 30+ a game or major rebounder 10+ a game it would get a rating of an A. If the recruits coming in will score a 10-15 points a game or get 15 ponts and 8 rebounds a game I would rate the class a B, If the recruits coming in will be able to contribute and fill an immediate need then I would rate a C or higher maybe a C+ on the number of recruits that are able to do these things. Remember that there is plenty of playing time available on this team for the incoming class to contribute ponts and rebounds. I see the possibility of one recruit coming in that might be a B player.

Guest BillikenReport

I gave this class an A because I think it will help SLU get to the top of the Atlantic 10 and hopefully to the NCAA Tournament for a couple years.

Not all of these guys will be great players in college and chances are one or two won't finish their careers at SLU, but this group of four players (with two more to come) addresses needs at almost every position and will provide depth for several seasons.

Even though these guys will be freshmen when Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch are seniors, this group should be able to help out right away in some form or another.

This is a great start for Majerus. Don't forget, the guy hasn't even been able to get out and recruit yet and he's already got four commitments.

- Nate