who made the first move?

Not sure why you would doubt the info in the article? Wiley has been around along time with SLU basketball so I would not be a bit surprised if he had some part in all of this. Usually in situations like this very unusual connections tend to play very important roles at key times. Roy, thanks for sharing the article. In time we will have the entire picture of why and how things happened.

That Wiley and Versace are friends and that he talked to both him and Majerus.. But, to think he had anything to do with this hiring is foolish. Wiley might think that, but I highly doubt it.

Versace is on Chaifetz's payroll, literally. He works for Chaifetz when it comes to Chaifetz's interest in purchasing an NBA team. Chaifetz name is on the new arena, because he donated millions to the project. Biondi and Chaifetz both knew of Mejerus interest long before Joe Wiley.

On one hand you have a published article saying that Joe Wiley was the go-between...on the other hand you have a Billikenboard rumor during the hiring process when every other post was basically rampant speculation.

I am putting my money on Wiley.

Is Frank C. Frank talked about how Dick Versace works for Chaifetz's NBA interest. How Dick was the one setting up the meeting in Chicago between RM and Chaifetz that "supposedly" didn't happen because of a scheduling conflict. I will take Frank C's word on that any day. You don't have to take my word for it.

i think RM contacting SLU is a likely scenario.

word on the street is that he was one of two coaches who had contacted creighton through channels about the second altman was announced as going to fayetville.

it seems that majerus had in his mind the profile of the school that he was going to finish his career at - and SLU and CU sure have a ton of similarities. he mostly just traded that great omaha beef for some quality pasta on the hill. :)