Good article on Griffey

“I like Coach Anderson’s style. What I like to do is [a good fit] with how they run. That’s big for me,†he said.

We would have had ZERO chance to get him under Brad. Kids do not like "soak up the shot clock and hope to win 49-45" kind of basketball. RM may not land him either, but I guarantee you he will be in the mix.

Tyler is a great kid.

I mentioned here years ago that Griffey was similar to McDonald's All-American Josh McRoberts, who just completed his sophomore season at Duke. I liked the versatility in Griffey's game that allowed him to be a dominant inside player but also handle the ball and shoot it from the perimeter.

In his first two years at Lafayette, I don't think we've seen that total package yet.

But Tyler has been working on getting stronger — he told me the other day he is working with a personal trainer four times a week — and I think in his final two years you'll see someone with a strong all-around game.

There have been a lot of expectations heaped upon him at a young age, but Tyler has handled it well. Like I said, he's a great kid.

- Nate

Brian, I realize that my unhappiness with the Soderberg era was not exactly kept close to the vest.

My point in my response was that you are NEVER going to get top-flight talent if you never run. Kids like to get it and go. I am not saying Rick is going to run all the time, but he has said his teams will run more and even described an unusual "crossing wings" fastbreak. Brad always said he wanted to run as well, but I believe Rick actually will.

Drew, it's time to let it go man. Just reading your post is stirring up a debate within me. I don't want to go there anymore. Soderberg is gone. He elevated the program from where he inherited it. He was a good guy. No need for continued critisism. Let's just enjoy the rise to the next level.

"To give an idea about how unassuming he and his parents are when it comes to his status, they have mentioned repeatedly that they’re unsure whether or not he’ll still have an offer from Saint Louis University since head coach Brad Soderberg was fired and replaced with Rick Majerus."

Something tells me it won't take 7 evaluation periods before RM decides to offer him a scholly...

I wish nothing for the best for Brad. He is a good man who was elevated one level to high for his particular skills in my opinion. He would be a great assistant for any program in America.

Griffey's comment just brought to mind how many thought Brad could recruit a kid like this if he just didn't have to pay for his own cell phone (I am embellishing the point of course) The fact is Brad was to vanilla and he ran a vanilla program. That is the end of my Brad comments.

I cannot wait for next season to start.

>Tyler is a great kid.

>

>I mentioned here years ago that Griffey was similar to

>McDonald's All-American Josh McRoberts, who just completed

>his sophomore season at Duke. I liked the versatility in

>Griffey's game that allowed him to be a dominant inside

>player but also handle the ball and shoot it from the

>perimeter.

>

>In his first two years at Lafayette, I don't think we've

>seen that total package yet.

>

>But Tyler has been working on getting stronger — he told me

>the other day he is working with a personal trainer four

>times a week — and I think in his final two years you'll see

>someone with a strong all-around game.

>

>There have been a lot of expectations heaped upon him at a

>young age, but Tyler has handled it well. Like I said, he's

>a great kid.

>

>- Nate

He's already a better shooter than McRoberts is now. Pat Garrity is probably a fair comparison or with some bulk, Matt Harpring.

kshoe said,

"Something tells me it won't take 7 evaluation periods before RM decides to offer him a scholly..."

soderberg offered griffey in 8th grade. he was one of the first if not the first. your above statement is just wrong.

i agree with nashville above, why cant you all just let it go? why do you have to continue to bring your hatred to the comments?

C'mon RM toss our hat into the ring....go have some pasta with the Griffey's...Am sure they will take a wait and see attitude with RM and the Billikens. But it sure sounds as though Anderson has a strong lead for his services. This also sounds like a case where lack of TV is really hurting us.

moytoy, actually i am thrilled. sure nate has me p!ssed off. and if the board wants to follow him like sheep so be it.

and i just dont understand the continued bashing of the previous coach.

but otherwise, i couldnt be happier. majerus is the best thing that has EVER happened to slu. i believe huge huge advancements are in store.

last i got a fantastic weekend trip planned for the weekend in the beautiful quad cities area. nothing like seeing the sunset over moline to really cheer you up.

I don't think anyone is following him like sheep (i didn't know he was leading people somewhere). I think the vast majority of the board wants him to keep posting whatever nuggets of info he can because it is recognized that he has access to information that we do not.

Agree with you about the current status of things...i don't know if i have ever been this excited about SLU bball. I think BE is going to be a tremendous addition; he's got a sweet stroke from three (i'm watching the coffeyville v. seward game).

I remember going to the quad cities area once with about 6 friends while attending SLU. Can't recall much of the weekend there though. :)

i am talking about the fact that in the last year he has rarely told about any positive actions going on behind the scenes and instead posted negative and loved to tell us to take the lesser area players and no one seems to care about that and in fact is lining up to thank him.

I know Roy goes overboard and he has gone a little overboard here this time, but come on folks this is an internet team fan board. We shouldn't take anything on here to seriously.

I like Nate and what Nate brings to the board. I want him posting on here. He has no vested interest in SLU or any other team so he brings an unbiased opinion. He has pissed me off on here before because I am a fan and I don't always look at things rationally on here. Most of us on here are not always going to be rational. Fan is short for fanatic and Nate should know that going in.

I think it is sort of crazy that Nate thinks he has to post this http://www.billikens.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/d...orum=DCForumID3 , just because he and another poster were having an argument. I also think it crazy that you got multiple people on here now wanting to take shots at Roy to keep Nate happy and reassure Nate that we like him posting on here.

Roy and Nate are both big boys and I think they can both survive the back and fourth on here. We all don't have to treat Roy like a 2 year old because he went overboard. He is a fan and fans do that.

We also don't need the Nate love fest and apprecition thread. He a big boy and can handle Roy's shots. Most importantly that thread has led to V asking seriously for his own love fest. Which led to a poster following that up with love for V. Give me a F'ing break. This is billikens.com nothing more.

I think he makes a positive contribution to the board. At no time have I read his posts and thought the information he provides was colored by some negative bias or personal vendetta he has against SLU basketball or Brad Soderberg (though you are certainly entitled to have that opinion). I am entitled to my opinion and that doesn't make me a "sheep". I thank him because he comes here and provides information that I don't think I could get anywhere else (regardless of how it's presented).