From Top to Bottom

I have heard from several of the local recruiting gurus and they have been telling me all along BE is a better find than Mantas G. They are basing that off of overall potential. That being said I pretty happy with the recruting class of AM, MR, and BE. I also think this gives us the best team from top to bottom in years. I can never remember a team from top to bottom that was this athletic. Athleticism doesn't always equate to great players, but it gives you something to work with.

RM is known for developing players. It's hard to say who the starting 5 will be and I would bet it will change and look differently at the beginning of the season then at the end.

KL and TL will improve on their own from year to year, so I am thrilled with what RM can do to help them improve even more. I think RM will lije LM as he is findamentally sound, a great teammate, and leaves it all on the floor every game. Luke will see good time regardless of if he starts or not. I watched some of those games posted of BE and he is a big guy. He moves well for a big guy. IF RM develops players as well as I've heard and he is able to make most of our roster better, then practices will be tough, we will have a good bench and we should have a pretty good starting 5 regardless of who is in there.

There is no doubt about that. I think what a lot of the Luke has to start people don't understand is those who feel differently don't hate Luke. It is just that we think Luke will better serve the team coming off the bench and playing different positions. This will allow RM to use him in spots that the match up really favors Luke. Just because we don't feel Luke should be in the starting five doesn't mean we don't think he will be a major contributor to the team’s success.

Brian, if LM is coming off the bench, I am happy with that as well. That means 2 things - we have a very good team and that Luke can create a spark off the bench when the team needs it.

In regards to the videos, somebody posted a link from the Coaches Clinis Network and you can watch Coffeyville games. You have to look a little once on the link as they post the Coffeyville girls games as well. When you find the videos, Barry is number 40.

I have always thought that Luke is the quintessential 6th man and could end up playing 20-25 minutes a game at different positions. He can come in and play guard or forward and gives a legitimate talent and scoring threat off the bench. Due to lack of depth, he has been pressed into playing too much at one of his weaker positions -- pf.

I really hesitate to get into this LM debate since logic in the past has gone out of the window during the season when this topic has come up. The only thing I will say is that LM is not 4. His best posistion is as a 3. Now that does not mean that RM won't from time to time play a line up with two #3s in it but he is a big man type of coach so he will be looking to play Adam, Barry, Bryce and Marcus when ever he can. I still think Marcus is more a 3 then a back to the basket 4 but time will tell how RM uses him. Clearly TL and KL will start but after that all bets are off until RM decides what kind of team he has and how best to utilize their strengths.

We all know UB gave a high value to experience over athleticism and raw talent. Who knows about RM. I think it will be hard to keep LM off the floor however. He'll likely be one of the first players to grasp whatever RM's system is, and that alone may save his starter's role. Who can argue there's a better line up today than TL, KL, LM, BE, BH or AK? Granted this is sight unseen for MR, but he's going to have show a lot to edge out LM. As for DP, unless he's had an epiphany with his shot, I think he's going to be scrambling for playing time. If DB does play, his ballhandling and propensity for TO's at just the wrong time may prove very detrimental to RM's health.

I really think that RM will play more than 7 players so who starts is not that important once you get past TL and KL. I think you might very well see 5 players with equal minutes even though on 3 of them will actually be announced as a starter. The other 2 will play virtually as much and another 2-3 will play more than they did under Brad. No way you can run a NBA type offense, play aggressive man to man defense, and run more with using 7 players primarily.

I agree with you, but I will say the 3 spot will have to be taken from Luke and if it is ... all the better for our team. I have heard from a source that has played with MR that he is very good and has a very good chance to start.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.