We talked about instant national coverage

I'd give the A-10 another year or two. It's hard to believe schools like UMass, X, Dayton, Charlotte (who I hear is not happy with A-10 either), GW, St. J's, RI, and a couple of others are going to be complacent with recent history. We might even want to initiate some sort of merger with MVC for a super mid major conference. An East and West division would be special for all involved. Get good enough you may have this kind of influence.

he really feels the same as I do about it, especially the part about supporting the A-10 move originally but now seeing it differently.

This will be my last post on this thread because I know most have an opposite opinion of me on this so there is no need to have yet another argument on this topic.

"We might even want to initiate some sort of merger with MVC for a super mid major conference."

This is what I think.

If there is a team in the Valley that either is unwilling to do what it takes to build a solid program, things like facilities and coaching salaries or doesn’t have the resources to do so. Then maybe a deal could be worked out for that team to move to a smaller level conference and get some money to ease their transition.

Then have Dayton, SLU, and Xavier join the Valley. If the Valley offers the three of them together I would be surprised if they didn’t jump at the chance. That would add three universities that are serious about wanting to have good programs. It would also make a 12 team conference so you would have to divide into two divisions east and west.

Here is the attendance in the Valley with the three A10 teams.

Creighton – 13,900

Dayton – 12,422

Wichita St. – 10,435

Xavier – 9,774

St. Louis – 9,325

Bradley – 9,220

Southern Illinois. – 7,291

Missouri St. – 6,965

Northern Iowa – 6,898

Evansville – 6,025

Illinois St. – 5,409

Indiana St. – 4,278

Drake – 4,267

2007 RPI

7 - Southern Illinois

20 - Creighton

33 - Xavier

36 - Missouri State

38 - Bradley

74 - Saint Louis

75 - Dayton

84 - Northern Iowa

100 - Wichita State

113 - Drake

131 - Evansville

138 - Illinois St.

139 - Indiana St.

And I bet we would have had a lower RPI playing against the Valley teams than we did against the A10 teams.

The A10 had six teams with an RPI higher than 139. Four with RPI's higher than 200.

222 - Duquesne

272 - Richmond

268 - LaSalle

278 - St. Bonaventure

If we stay with the A10 that's fine it has some positive qualities but I can't help thinking that sooner or later there is going to be a split. There is to big a difference in geography and in the level of commitment programs have to their basketball programs in the A10.

Looking at the 2006 attendance figures (2007 isn’t up yet) Duquesne barely averaged over 1,500 a game at 1,528. To put that in perspective division II Central Missouri State University out drew them by over a thousand a game bringing in 2,621.

Too many A10 teams seem to lack the fan bases, facilities, or resources to improve to stay competitive long term.

I would love to see the league be split East West. Keep some of the A10 stronger schools: St.Joe's, UMass, RI, Charlotte, GW, Richmond, Temple. Add X and Dayton to the east side. Still gives us exposure on the east coast. One thing I did like is when RM intimated the Big East might some day implode or explode. He mentioned Utah's bid to enter the PAC 10. What did they bring football wise was the deciding factor. Now if anyone would know if there were problems in the Big East I would think it would be an ESPN analyst. I'm sure they catch a lot of things not intended for public consumption.

On the PD website there is a nice article from Gordon about the press conference. I feel like the rider in a car that is chugging up to the top of the first hill on a roller coaster. It should be fun and exciting to see what this first rate coach can do with our Billikens.

While Xavier fans also want out of the A-10, I've never heard the MVC mentioned as an option. Many X fans hold out hope that the Big East will implode or that some sort of Conference comprised of schools like Marquette and SLU can be formed.

I think the move would be good but you must consider a few things. The A-10 was good before we joined it and it is now down. The MVC is now up and was previously down. This could be a trend and the same could happen to the MVC if we joined it. The A-10 can't be bad forever. I think a new conference would be a good thing for SLU, if could get Xavier and Dayton and mix with other schools. The A-10 will be nothing as long as St. Bona and Duq is in there. Our RPI takes such a hit that we need to have one of the hardest non conference schedules in America and teams aren't that willing to play SLU and when you add our new coach those chances will become even less. The A-10 is a joke with all the current teams. I have been to a few of the away games and those gyms and fans are just horrible, more like a high school game then D-1 game.

just like the MVC passed up the A10 it will cycle back. Anyone look at the recruits X is getting and is in on. They could be a real power and quickly. Add to them GW who has been solid and the improvement we expect to make along with RI, UMass, Dayton and St.Joes we could have 3 top 50 teams and 3 or 4 between 50-100. It will cycle back, we will switch back when it does.

Not only that as been said 1000 times as an institution for education, we just don't fit with the MVC. We do with the A10.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.