Random thoughts re RM and the future of SLU MBB

bauman

As I have read and heard on national outlets, stories about this hire, it struck me that the hiring of a MBB HC at a high-mid level midwestern school would not have received any coverage by the national media were it not for the status of RM. That got me thinking about how many real celebrity coaches there are who would, in and of themselves, produce this much media attention. For example, even the new MBB HC at the storied BB power UK (Gillespie) would not have received that level of coverage if he went to Drake, Tulsa or Bradley for example.

So who are the big name coaches who would be termed celebrities. I think the list is somewhat short---Rick P., Roy W., Mike K., Jim C., Jim B., Billy D., Bob H., Luke O., maybe Bill S. and our own Rick Majerus. I may have left someone out, but my point is, it's a very small number. We, because of the reputation of RM, are now at a new level in the consciousness of people who follow D-1 MBB. (The national media and I hope big-time recruits--it should be easier for Rick to recruit to a big city than to Utah)

If RM does what many of us expect him to do my only concern is (down the road) what happens when our celebrity coach leaves. Will we have established SLU as a real force in MBB of will we revert back to where we have been for most of the past 60 years? There are too many examples of schools who return to a lower level after the departure of a "name coach". See Iowa after LO, Cincy after BH, Providence after RP, UCLA after JW, UMASS after JC, Oklahoma after BT. I hope whatever new level of resources RM was able to pry out of Rev. B. will stay in place for our next coach and that RM is here long enough to really put SLU on the map of top level programs. I would like us to be at such a level when replacing RM (probably within 5 years) that our list of candidates is NOT made up of MVC/Horizon/MEAC head coaches and/or inexperienced Asst Coaches, e.g. C Martin.

As I said in a thread a couple of days ago, I am so excited about the future of SLU BB with the possible exception of the size of the Fetz. Having made the decision to go big-time, I think we will regret not having about 12,500 seats, but that is a nice problem to have.

I know Majerus' rep as a great X & O guy, but I sure expect his name to result in a much higher level of recruit being attracted to SLU. I will be very happy if he can produce a 10 player roster of TL and KL types. Hopefully next years' group will see the light and sign on with the big guy.

I for one don't expect RM to be here for a long period. If we get 3-4 seasons we will be lucky. This is the downside for hiring him.

Now the tremendous upside> He has demanded and got those enhancements to the basketball program to make us highly competitiive in getting recruits and another 'top shelf' replacement for Rick.

It is a shame that SLU did not make this committment 12 years ago (after the 94-95 season) with Spoon. That would have been the perfect time to build a areana with the tremendous fan base and support that the program had. I think the Larry Hughes season and Memphis Miracle season may hurt SLU MBB in some ways in that it gave administration the feeling we should be able to do this every year on the cheap. Now, I hope we have the system (or will shortly) to do this every year and not as a fluke season.

Granted, the school lost momentum after the two consecutive bid years. A lot should/could have been done to ensure we became the Gonzaga of the midwest. Now we enter the quick fix age of King RM. Assuming RM can regenerate the momentum Spoon started is a roll of the dice. Albeit, they may be weighted in our favor. But the key to this move is the AC staff. I never knew the complete health history of RM until a few days ago. Three seasons where he had to be sidelined. One has to assume RM is going to throw himself at this project with full vigor and enthusiasm. The man's got a rep to maintain, and his ego won't allow anything else. But to maintain the hoped for success he brings, it's got to come from his staff. Maybe the biggest factor in this deal, is that he got Biondi to commit big $$ for quality AC's, and not his seven figure salary. One would also hope that in his contract is some kind of clause that if the rigors of coaching take too much out of him, he will fulfill the balance as some sort of consultant to the school and the new coach. In any event, SLU for now is a spot light program. Let's hope that light attracts some talented players and AC's.

What is interesting about this hire is that RM is not a big name coach who was let go/failed at his last stop and we are getting him only because his stock has fallen a bit. RM is a rare guy in the sense that he really did not want to go nor has he ever coached in a BCS conf - not counting the USC thing. He likes being in a conf like the A10 where he can turn a program around quickly and maintain success without having to deal with the constant pressure of other BCS schools attacking. He can play in the A10 and pick up a few good non-conf games against BCS teams and still do well. Seems to me he has a good understanding of his niche. Like anything - if you understand what made you successful to begin with and stick with it you will continue to be successful. If he hires good ACs then he let them do the leg work - his name will get the ACs into the homes of kids and then all he has to do is close the deal.

I trust Majerus' ability to evaluate recruits and their role on his team. I was always uneasy about Brad's ability to do that. Maybe Brad could evaluate talent but he just couldn't attract that talent. Although it always seemed that other teams ie SIUC, Butler, Nevada, etc found unheralded guys that formed a complete "TEAM". We often get caught up in the ratings of a certain recruit. I hope when the new coach sees a weakness such as perimeter defense then he will seek out players that have better perimeter D and fixes it in practice.

I like the idea of Porter Moser for assistant coach. I still remember that whipping UALR gave us in 2001. The guy did OK at two places that aren't basketball powerhouses and has contacts in the area. I do wish we could keep Walker and/or add another former player like Bonner. I have no clue if they are talented or not. If they are I would like to one day see a SLU raised Head Coach that we know wants to stay at his Alma Mater.

1) Bob Knight = celebrity. Probably the dean of college coaches right now.

2) Is there confirmation that Moser will be an assistant?

3) this kind of hire is quite unusual -- I agree he is a big name coach who wanted one last chance to coach -- sort of reminds me of Bill Parcells.

4) His health holding out is the key, in which case I would not be surprised to have RM here 5 or more years (it is a 5-year deal). I notice he is swimming a mile a day--now that would make a breathtaking contribution to You-tube. are there any stealthy SLU students listening??

5) actually this hire will make people forget the fiasco of the timing of Brad's firing pretty quickly. I cannot believe I am saying that but it happens to be the truth. fasten your seat belts; this will be a very fun ride, folks.

i'd add knight to the list.

i agree with your thoughts. a celebrity coach typically can get kids to come just because. the coach is a household name and has the reputation that just makes the difference when the kids make final decisions. i truly believe we just hired the difference maker. it truly is a great time to be a billiken fan.

Thanks Dr. B and Roy. I must be pretty excited to have left Knight off my list. Since no other names have been suggested, and I haven't come up with any others, my list of big-name coaches is 10 or 11. Self is almost there but he needs to do something in the Tournament to solidify his inclusion.

That's what makes this even more important-we, at SLU, have one of the top 10 coaches in D-1. As has been mentioned elsewhere, this will have a tremendous effect on TV games, recruiting, scheduling, ticket sales and media attention, in addition to Wins/Losses.

I hope our architects can figure out a way to add a couple of rows to the top of the Fetz-another 500 seats would sure help-heck add 1000! We will probably never hear, but I would be interested in how many additional seats are sold between yesterday and and the start of the season. At an average season ticket price of $250, if we sell just 1000 more seats as a result of this buzz we will have gone a long way toward paying the additional cost of RM's contract.