Press conference Monday

smitty

Majerus Named Head Coach

Rick Majerus will lead the Billikens into the 2007-08 season.

April 27, 2007

ST. LOUIS - Saint Louis University President Lawrence Biondi, S.J., announced today that Rick Majerus will be the new Billikens head men's basketball coach. Prior to working as a college basketball analyst for ESPN for the last three years, Majerus amassed a 422-147 career head coaching record and took his teams to the postseason 15 times.

The University will hold an on-campus news conference at 10 a.m. Monday, April 30, to formally announce Majerus' appointment. The news conference will be held in Busch Student Center, 20 N. Grand Blvd.

"I am extremely excited about having a person of Rick Majerus' stature and reputation at the helm of our men's basketball team. I know that we are now headed to take our men's basketball team to the next level" Father Biondi said. "Rick and I have gotten a chance to know each other over the past week, and I am very impressed with all that he will bring to our men's basketball program, including his commitment to run a program that we can all be proud of."

"Rick Majerus is known as one of the most passionate basketball coaches in America, and he has already communicated that passion to all he has met at SLU," said Director of Athletics Cheryl Levick. "Rick is committed to taking our men's basketball program to the next level, which is what our athletic department and all Billiken fans want. We are also excited about what this means to SLU athletics."

Majerus will join University officials at the news conference Monday.

>Great news! I had given up on this thing happening.

>So is he spending the weekend lining up ACs and talking to

>recruits?

Great news, I just hope he is serious this time and sticks with it unlike he did at USC (still some bitter folks out there).

SLU got it right this time after screwing it up 5 years ago! Time to dust off the Billiken gear.

FYI, until he passes his recruiting exam at SLU he can't recruit.

> recruiting exam?

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H

>Waldman

>

>Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would

>have helped club.

All coaches have to pass a yearly recruiting exam with an 80% (32 out of 40). It's open book, not that hard (some coaches don't pass the first time but you have to wait a month before you can take it again), but before they can go off campus to recruit they have to pass it and be certified.

so it sounds as if he could talk on the phone or the recruit could come here?

thanks for the info, I didn't know that. How do you not pass an open book test?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.