Why I'm against hiring RM

Hey, you mocked skip when he posed questions about cheating. Basically said, 'well Utah cheated and all they got was loss of a scholarship. No big deal, our last coach couldn't use all our scholarships anyway. If that's our penalty, so be it'. That's how it came across to me. If you reread you're post, i'm sure you will get the same impression. So, you believe cheating is ok, as long as it's not "big"?

I'm not "holier than now" as you put it. Cheating is cheating. Ok, you mess up and I'll forgive you. Do it multiple times and that a problem. I don't think anybody on here was defending Missouri for Q handing out basketball gear. That was pretty minor...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any money on:

A. If he signs

B. If he coach's at least 1 game

C. If he coach's at least one full season

D. If when he leaves, we all wish he wouldn't have come in the first place.

My guess:

If he signs, he won't finish the season and this board will be littered with trash from fans saying they wish he wouldn't have come and calling Biondi an idiot for signing him.

there are plenty of hypocrites on this board who've made comments like "I'd rather lose every game than have a cheating coach like (Huggy, etc.)" RM has been put on probation by the NCAA and lost scholarships. (somthing that I don't think has never happened to Huggy BTW)

I like the RM hire and think good things will come from it. I just want the high-horse crowd to acknowledge they've flip-flopped on this.

he didn't just buy a kid a burger when his dad died. Not even close. You are right though there is a big difference in levels of cheating and he wasn't close to Quinn.

Moytoy ... I was being sarcastic with Harrick, but history tends to repeat itself ... so I am worried about RM

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

kan, it will be good to be aligned with you behind the coach for the foreseeable future. I will go on record as saying I will not be second-guessing Marjerus's coaching decision as I have been known to do the last several years.

Good points ... certainly worth discussing. FWIW, I agree w/ others in the post here that I don't see RM as a gamble in terms of the integrity of the program.

I've questioned the Administration's ability to competently run a D1 basketball program, but I've never seen anything that would make me question the Administration ability to run a program w/ integrity. I doubt Fr. Biondi or anyone else had a bizarro-world Damascus moment & concluded it was worth sacrificing the University's ideals just to play a few games on CBS in early March. I think the support staff will be put in place to ensure mistakes are not made.

Of course, integrity and winning are not mutually exclusive. Let's hope we can do both in the future.

My only reservations against hiring RM is that it's more than likely (as you pointed out) going to be a short-term thing. (Hopefully, not health-related.) Sort of like Hughes coming. It's not ideal, but I'm willing to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.

Pat D.

I heard Ramsey say yesterday that SLU has a very strong network in place that watches very closely to ensure that the rules are not bent so I do not worry about this as some on here are.

Heck, we did not hire Coach Majerus for a long run...if his health is good then I really don't expect anything more than 5 years, if that. The thing that is VERY exciting to me is that with this hire SLU is now entering the 21st century as far as big time D-1 hoops finances are concerned. We should never hear about crud like the coaches paying their own cell phone bills again.

that I never thought Biondi would go into 7 figures for a HC and give up control. I don't think anybody on here thought that, as there has been nothing in his 20 years to indicate they would go this route.

Maybe I didn't express my thoughts clearly, but my point was that they wouldn't get a big name with Brad-type money. I don't think that has been disproven.

Good for SLU that they're finally diverting money away from unnecessary nonsense like artwork to back up a top 50 claim made 20 years ago.

Let's start recruiting!

I'm not contesting the worthiness of Majerus as coach, but a lot of information has been posted about what the Utah infractions and penalties are. Listed below is the exert of the NCAA findings letter regarding the penalties;

"...The university imposed a number of corrective actions and penalties, which were considered and accepted by the committee. They are:

Limited the men's basketball program to no more than 12 athletics grants-in-aid during the 2004-05 and 2005-06 academic years.

Limited the number of off-campus days in which the men's basketball head coach participated, during the 2001-02 academic year, to 75 percent of the number averaged for the previous three years. The same limitation on other days spent off campus on basketball-related activities also was imposed.

Reduced the number of official visits in men's basketball to a total of 13 over the 2003-04 and 2004-05 academic years, with no more than 12 occurring in any one year.

Issued letters of performance evaluations and expectations to the athletics director, the associate athletics director with oversight of compliance, the head men's basketball coach and two members of the football staff.

Suspended the director of basketball operations for 10 days without pay.

Accepted the athletic director's voluntary recommendation to freeze his salary for one year.

Accepted the head men's basketball coach's voluntary recommendation to freeze his salary for two years.

Because of the serious nature of the violations-including the involvement of the head men's basketball coach in a number of the violations, an inadequate rules education program and a significant lack of institutional control-the Committee on Infractions imposed the following additional penalties:

Public reprimand and censure.

Three years of probation beginning July 30, 2003.

In addition to the university's self-imposed reduction of one grant in men's basketball for each of the 2004-05 and 2005-06 academic years, the committee reduced the number of athletically related financial aid awards in men's basketball by one during the 2006-07 academic year. This limits the institution to 12 total men's basketball grants-in-aid under current rules for the academic years 2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07.

Agreed with the university's self-imposed limit in the number of expense-paid recruiting visits in men's basketball to no more than 13 over the 2003-04 and 2004-05 academic years, but ruled that no more than eight visits could occur in any of the two years. (The university had proposed a limit of no more than 12 in any of the two years.)

Required that, during the probationary period, the university shall continue to develop and implement a comprehensive educational program on NCAA legislation and submit periodic reports to the NCAA. The university also is required to submit, to the director of the NCAA Committees on Infractions, a preliminary report that sets forth a schedule for establishing this compliance and educational program, including an overview of the program implemented by the head men's basketball coach. The institution also must file annual compliance reports indicating progress made with the program and placing particular emphasis on compliance relating to extra benefits and recruiting visits. At the end of the probationary period, the university's president will provide a letter to the committee affirming that the university's current athletics policies and practices conform to all requirements of NCAA regulations.

As required by NCAA legislation for any institution involved in a major infractions case, the University of Utah is subject to the provisions of NCAA Bylaw 19.6.2.3, concerning repeat violators, for a five-year period beginning on the effective date of the penalties in this case, July 30, 2003....."

The last paragraph refers to the finding of "lack of institutional control" by the NCAA.

I don't want to make this a debate about MU, however, the infractions NOTED and penalties are very similar to those meted out to MU.

However, MU was not found to have "lack of institutional control", which is extremely severe. Further violations in the subsequent 5 year period will lead to extreme penalties and ultimately can result in the so called "death penalty".

I still think Majerus is a good fit, but the problems in Utah were over more than a $10 meal to a recruit.

Here' a link to the findings letter in its entirety.

http://www.ncaa.org/releases/infractions/2003073002in.htm

There were times in the last 12 months I never thought I'd ever be in agreement with you. Your above post changed all that, and it's what all of us who post here have wanted for these many years; success for our beloved Bills. Let the King Majerus era begin!

the comparison I made to Huggy, and any other coach who has been on probabtion, is that they're in the same boat with RM.

I'm happy RM is here, just pointing out that SLU fans can't use that "at least our coach hasn't been on probabtion argument."

Since I'm not one of theose fans, I don't really care.

Poor little Kevin. Almost seems disappointed SLU got a big name coach. Nark made you look like a fool. Heck, kevin said SLU couldn't even get a good assistant coach. The self-anointed conscience of the Billiken board goes down in flames. Another lecture and straw man for SLU fans courtesey of kevin.

You said SLU would get a big name coach for Brad money, and a big time assistant for even less. I said that would never happen and it didn't. RM will most likely take in more than twice Brad's paycheck, plus get highly paid assistants. The only way this happened was for Biondi to completely change direction, which is exactly what I said it would take. I didn't think SLU would really do it, but I'm happy that they did. You thought Roy Williams would come to SLU for $300K.

By the way, I'm not the only one who thought Biondi wouldn't break the bank, why do you feel the need to be the cyberstaker? Heck, you're such a chicken that you barely posted anyting for weeks until the last 10 days or so. Why don't you go back to what you do best, like hanging around the men's room at truck stops.

If Nark wnats to give me some #####, that's fine. It's funny when a wuss like you tries to pile on without having any idea what's going on, but that's how you operate.