Basically the same as earlier - from espn

moytoy12

"Majerus keeping Billikens waiting about possible return

By Andy Katz

ESPN.com

Former Utah coach and current ESPN analyst Rick Majerus has entered into negotiations of a possible deal to be the head coach at Saint Louis, but Majerus still must decide if he wants to return to coaching after a three-year hiatus, multiple sources close to the situation told ESPN.com Wednesday.

Majerus met with Saint Louis officials Saturday. According to the sources, Majerus and the school discussed a contract as well as a number of other issues that would be amenable to Majerus. But at least one source told ESPN.com that Majerus is still deciding if he wants to leave television. Sources said Majerus is the only coach the school is negotiating with at this juncture and that they're waiting to hear his answer before going forward with a plan B.

Saint Louis abruptly fired Brad Soderberg last week after five seasons. The Billikens are building a new $80.5 million on-campus arena, which would make the Atlantic 10 job much more attractive to a candidate like Majerus, who coached the Utes to the 1998 national title game.

There is no set timetable for Majerus to decide but a decision is expected soon."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2849403

If we don't have news by tomorrow afternoon that a press conference is being scheduled, I don't think this deal is going to happen. This

is dragging on too long. I'm assuming they've been negotiating since Monday. That's plenty of time to make the deal. Something's holding it up and I think it's RM's cold feet.

"But at least one source told ESPN.com that Majerus

is still deciding if he wants to leave television."

Sounds like Majerus is still where he was last Saturday. Even if he says he's coming, would you believe he will be here long if you are a potential recruit? There are those I suppose who believe he still coming and will lead SLU to the promised land. Mis-guided but ok. But how can anyone believe that he has 1 or more recruits ready to come with him.

Probably played out like this:

Recruit: Coach, it's April 16th, you don't have a job and I don't

have a scholarship, should I keep waiting?

RM: Certainly, some University out there is just waiting to

offer me the head job.

Recruit: Any idea where it will be?

RM: What now you are going to be picky.

Recruit: Gee, coach just wanted to know if it is within 1000 miles

of where my mom and girlfriend live.

RM: Trust me, I'm sure I will get an offer that I will take

if I decide I want to work hard and coach again.

RM is not coming to SLU! He has slowed the process down by a week and made SLU's timing of BS's dismissal look almost as bad as letting RM pull strings for a week with no committment.

I haven't been optimistic but if you have ever negotiatied a significant business contract you would know that these things take time and in this instance with all of the unusual circumstances (health clause? charter plane? nice hotel with pool for him to swim? $$$$ much more than SLU is accustomed, etc, ) there are going to be some negotiation and legal delays.

If we corral RM, I'll be totally amazed. His demands are outrageous, way beyond SLU's means unless they get outside source(s)to contribute. I'll believe it when he signs the contract and remains onboard for a couple of months. If he doesn't stay for 07 -08, the PR that bad SLU received in handling of UB's firing will pale by comparison. But if he does come and stay, I think he'll elevate our program to the next level, top tier Div I.

I negotiate contracts for living. We recently signed a complicated deal with another large company. We had agreement in principle over a year before we finalized and signed the contract, and then we spent another several weeks post-signing negotiating the press release. I am not saying that is the case with Majerus, but most "big" deals take time even if the parties are in general agreement on the key terms.

>If we corral RM, I'll be totally amazed. His demands are

>outrageous, way beyond SLU's means unless they get outside

>source(s)to contribute. I'll believe it when he signs the

>contract and remains onboard for a couple of months. If he

>doesn't stay for 07 -08, the PR that bad SLU received in

>handling of UB's firing will pale by comparison. But if he

>does come and stay, I think he'll elevate our program to the

>next level, top tier Div I.

His demands are nowhere near outrageous.

Crawl or slither back underneath the rock you call home. Comments like yours demonstrate you have zero knowledge or credibility - just pure jealosy.

Even without RM, our program is better off than it was 2 weeks ago if, as I understand, Fr. Biondi is making a true commitment to the program. We know facilities are on the way but if budgets, coaching staffs, S & C trainers, resources etc. will be improved, then I'd be fine with C. Martin. In fact, if these obstacles were permanently removed, Spoon, Romar and Brad would have been more successful and one of them might be still coaching.

Get lost troll.

PS Comments like yours will make tomorrow's announcement that much sweeter.

How many coaching changes have taken this long? One day you hear the names, the next day you have the news conference. String us along RM. Pull our strings and make us dance. Then tell us you are going back to ESPN like you have all of the others.

IMO, we just don't pay as much attention when other schools have open positions and only really notice it when the story hits the national news. The Majerus to SLU story only really hit the national wires a couple days ago.

I have no reason to believe this but I think this is no big deal....everything will be fine.