Q's reasons for loss

slu72

last night..."two Colorado players had unbelievable games." Awwww...let's see five future NBA'ers beaten by two guys having unbelievable games. What's unbelievable Q-tip is you are 8-8 and still have TTech, Texas, and Kansas left to play. Also, you have to like the PD, Mizzery saw it's 2 out of 3 streak broken last night. If 2 out of 3 is a streak, we must have been on a tear for the past month.

For the last three games Mizzou was playing very good ball, I think that is what the article was refering to. And even though they lost the texas game it was just bad luck. Final seconds on the clock a Ivey goes up for a lay up and has his shot blocked right into the hands of a texas three point shooter.

Quin's excuses are become more and more laughable. I can't believe he hasn't once taken responseability for a loss yet it is always the players, the opposing players, the altitude anything buy him. Mizzou is loaded with talent but it isn't going to go anywhere until Snyder is fired.

last night i was watching the evening news on channel 5 and the new guy, renee something, was previewing the two games. he was gushing about the tigers recent success and playing the little engine that could song for us. sighhhhhhh nothing changes. renee isnt apparently going to be an ally of the billikens.

i am beginning to question that "talent" label more and more all the time. i personally would take frericks before their inside guys (grant that klieza has more potential). i would take reggie before any of their wings. and i would take phillip hunt before any of their point guards.

Recent success? They beat a down OU team and the Cornhuskers? Oh yeah, I missed that moral victory against Texas...but it really was an L, correct? Not bad for the preseason #3 ranked All American stocked final four favorite Mizzery Ostriches, who are 8-8 and lost to none other than powerhouse Belmont...in their house. Puhleeze, even the most ardent Mizzery fan can not find any good or any positive in this mess. Not only were those two guys from Colorado "Unbelievable" last night, the Mizzery coach was "Unconscious". What amazes me is not one writer, journalist in StLouis has done an article titled something like "What Went Wrong with Mizzery's Dream Season?"

... but is he in over his head?

This wouldn't be the first time you'd see a story about a jet-setting, hot-shot assistant from a top-ranked program failing in different levels of misery on his first time or so out of the gate. Matt Dougherty crashed and burned at UNC. Mike Brey isn't exactly setting the world on fire at Notre Dame. How do you judge Romar? Jim Crews? Ollie Purnell? Even guys that were big fish in small ponds seem to be guppies in shark-invested (i.e. larger) waters .... Pete Gillen from X to Virginia? And I can't wait until Seth gets his *ss run out of VaTech.

But it has to be real easy to coach with the kind of kids you get at Duke. What do they have, six or seven Mickey D. All-Americans PER YEAR! We consider oursleves lucky to have had ONE IN OUR ENTIRE HISTORY. Sure .. recruiting them is one thing and Q seems to have been able to carry that tradition on at the SPUMAC but does he really have the mentality for putting all the X's and O's from the board into action on the floor? Does he command the respect froma coaching stadnpoint to make that talent work properly? Talent will beat inferior talent almost all the time but does Q have what it takes to mesh all the parts together? I think he's demonstrating that answer right now.

The fact that he doesn't hold himself accountable is probably symptomatic of the whole. I know Brad has blamed himself on some occasions.

Frankly, I think he's inover his head .... he can recruit, but he can't coach or gain enough respect for these kids to listen. Whatever the reason may be ... I think he's pouring his own cement because it will get very difficult to explain the lack of production that WalMary money can buy with that roster. Add in the NCAA and I see two strikes right now.

He's been there how many years now? And he has how many regular season and conference titles? With that stable of talent? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm .............

Look, i'm a hardcore billikens fan, but you cannot possibly tell me that you wouldn't want to have anyone from Mizzou's frontcourt on our roster. Linas Kleiza or Arthur Johnson (even during a bad season) playing at the power forward slot for the Billikens would provide the Bills an inside/outside combination (w/ reggie) that would be dominant in C-USA. You could then move Chris Sloan to a more appropriate SF slot or use him as a sixth man, a position that I think he would excel at.

I wouldn't ever question Mizzou's talent. It's okay to question their team chemistry, coaching .. and decision to not recruit "team" players. You'd be kidding yourself to say that you wouldn't want the following players on your roster: Johnson, Paulding, Kleiza, McKinney, Bryant (off the bench). The catch is that you'd only want one or two of them, not all.

>to be fair, the only McDonald's All-American on this team is

>Travon Bryant. He's the only one playing as good as he

>should be, aside from Kleiza and Gardner who are playing

>better.

I used to hear a lot of Mizzou fans say McKinney was going to be better than Larry Hughes. Now we hear the talent isn't that good. You folks should get your stories straight.

Some examples of successful coaches would be: Boheim, Kady, D.Odom of WF and now SC. Obviously, you have coach K, an exception. But would I be estatic if UB or any SLU hc has accomplished what Boheim and Kady have done over the years...you bet. These are guys who put competitive teams on the floor year in year out to the point where their fans expect annual trips to the NCAA, they fill arenas, seemingly keep their skirts clean in the recruiting cesspool, not sure, but am thinking their graduation rates are not too terrible or out of line. Yeah, a national title would be nice now and then, ala Boheim, but not a strict requirement, which I don't believe is the standard at most D1 schools. More important would be the idea that you are at least giving yourself an opportunity at achieving one. I think with the conf tourneys that winning a conf title has lost a little luster, it used to be big a long time ago because that's what got you into the dance. I would say the majority of fans would say make the dance an almost annual event(we'll forgive a down year now and then), avoid probation/scandal, don't let your players be an embarassment to the school, produce decent revenue, make the program a source of pride for alumni and students and you will have job security, give the school some national exposure. Contrast these guys to coaches like Bliss, Q, Bobby Knight, Tark, Lavin, Harrick, etc who are push every envelope to nail that elusive nat'l title and I think you get the idea. I think UB falls into the Kady and Boheim mold. I only hope we can keep him here.

Renee Knott ... give him a chance first Roy. I remember the guy from the days when I was in DC (I think he was in Baltimore then). He's probably trying to say positive things about the local teams given that he is the new kid on the block and praise for Mizzou from a new comer does not equate with distain for SLU. He probably does not have a clue yet about SLU hoops but has heard of Pretty Quin. Remember, you went off on Bryan Burwell after his first SLU story but he has turned out to be a Bills supporter.

i am talking about right now, this second. i would take frericks over any of the three. as i said, klieza has the potential, but right now, i take tom.

my above post only says that reggie is better than their wings and frericks is better than their inside guys and that hunt is better than any of their point guards. if the tiger players want to be their backups or valet's that is fine with me. but my point is that i think this "talent" is another planet apart is nonsense.

you are correct on burwell. but after my introduction to renee, he will have to now win me back, as burwell did. i am a big channel 5 guy, but if it continues, i will find out frank's schedule and only watch 5 when i know frank is going to be on.

imo, probably longevity these days. if a coach is allowed to stick around, he is probably a success. not like the old days when you were hired for life regardless of performance.

he said missouri fans, he didnt specifically say you. and for the record, we and aj adrete had that exact "discussion" last year. aj was the mckinney man, and the billiken fandom piled on with hughes.