>the author of the piece you pasted claims to be "equally

>offended by the rappers," yet fails to equally condemn the

>rappers that offend her.

>

>For the record, before i get called out here unfairly. I

>object to Imus' comments and see no place in any type of

>discourse for them. Like many public figures, i feel he is

>only sorry that he is in trouble.

If you listened to that song, you would know that he's not using that word to refer to women. I am not a supporter of the use of the word though, but rappers doing the wrong thing doesnt excuse him from his wrongdoing. If Jay-z said the same thing about the Rutgers team, I would be just as upset.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>Of course it is. I mean, it's only on every possible media

>outlet and will be for the next couple of days/weeks. I

>guess since the news agencies on Mars aren't picking it up

>yet you aren't satisfied.

I guess that's why Stephen A. Smith and Juan Williams just had a segment on ESPN about 40 minutes ago talking about why the media took so long to pick up the story and that if it hadn't been for message boards making it an issue, then the big stations would've never picked it up. Stephen A. Smith said that it was probably attributed to the fact that there arent many people of color at the heads of the media outlets and that if there were, there would have been more initial public outcry.

Moytoy, also since you want to there with rap thing. People shouldn't use certain words anyway, but it is more offensive coming from a someone who is different. Words are interpreted differently depending on who says them, that's a reality. Words do hurt. Its a fact. The intent also has to be determined. I dont feel he was joking and I feel his apology is half-hearted. Rapper Fat Joe is not black, but uses the N-word, and people dont seem to mind. Eminem has used it, people dont seem to matter. The intent has a large part to do with it too. I dont like that anyone uses it, because I feel countless people died and were humiliated and beaten so that word wouldnt be used against black people and then we as a people turn around and use it on each other everyday. It does upset me.

In 1991, anti-Semitic riots in Brooklyn's Crown Heights section erupted after 7-year old Gavin Cato, a black child, was accidentally killed by an out-of-control car driven by a Hasidic Jew. Gavin's cousin, Angela Cato, was also injured in the same accident. Within three hours, a black mob had hunted down a rabbinical student, Yankel Rosenbaum. Rosenbaum was killed by Lemrick Nelson, who was acquitted of the murder by a jury in New York but later convicted on federal charges of violating Rosenbaum's civil rights. Sharpton criticized the Jewish community at Cato's funeral, inflaming ethnic hatreds, and organized more demonstrations that turned once again into open rioting. Sharpton fanned the flames of racial hatred by publicly announcing that it was not merely a car accident that had killed Gavin Cato, but rather "the social accident of apartheid." The contentious activist then challenged local Jews -- whom he derisively characterized as "diamond merchants -- to "pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house" to settle the score. Finally he claimed, without proof, that the Jewish driver had run over the Cato children while in a drunken stupor. Stirred in part by such rhetoric and false accusations, hundreds of Crown Heights blacks took violently to the streets, pelting Jewish homes with rocks, setting vehicles on fire, and shouting "Jew! Jew!" Sharpton reacted to the rioting by stating, "We must not reprimand our children for outrage, when it is the outrage that was put in them by an oppressive system."

Please don't mention Al Sharpton ... He has no business questioning anyone about being a racist. Imo Al is at the top of the racist list.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

V, the problem with this situation is that the incident itself gets overshadowed by people with zero credibility, such as Al Sharpton, who has zero zilch no credibility whatsoever.

There are plenty of fine African American journalists(Jamele Hill isn't one of them btw) politicians, and high profile leaders who command respect in their professions or as individuals.

There isn't any defense of this incident with Imus. It was a poor attempt at shock jock humor by a bigoted man.

That's how life works V. Credibility commands respect. This is where you run into problems defending Floyd Irons. He was nice to you as a kid, so you have no problem with him. But in the eyes of the informed objective, his good deeds for inner city kids at minimum get canceled out by all of his other not so good deeds. You are a rational enough poster, and bright enough kid to be better than a tunnel vision view. Stick to the many many positive, credible, African American role models, and role models of all races and creeds and you'll run into less oposition, and better times.

Courtside, I cant really disagree with anything you said. You are making very good sense, but would you turn your back on someone the way you are asking me to do with Irons? Yes, there is a cloud of suspicion around Coach Irons, but he has NEVER been CONVICTED of anything. Its just allegations, no matter how true they may seem. Even some politicians cant escape the Feds, and if they really had something on him, he would be in jail right now or would have been arrested and out on bond maybe. If everything turns out to be true, I'll stop defending him to a certain extent, but I'll NEVER go the other way and bad mouth him.

When the media pays as much attention to the 70% illegitimacy rate among the black population, 40-50% graduation rate among inner city schools, and Al Sharpton has the St. Louis School Board on his show to ask him "WTF are you doing over there???" then I may give a damn about some old, mean-spirited disc-jockey's stupid comments.

By the way, his comments weren't racist. There was no message of superiority or intolerance in what he said. He inappropriately made fun of them in an offensive way, but its wasn't racist. Hell there's comics, both black and white, that go well beyond what Imus said and no one brings them up (well except Richards who clearly went too far). The term "racist" is thrown around so casually its offensive to the older black generation who really experienced some heavy racism. These days someone gets looked at wrong, its racism. Someone gets talked to in a rude way, its racism. Someone doesn't get their order quick enough and its racism. If anyone wants an excellent book on race, I suggest Thomas Sowell's The Economics and Politics of Race. He provides a great overview and look at how race has been abused and mistreated all over the world. Very, very good read. Gives you a different sense for how bad the perceived racism is over here compared to the rest of the world.

You cannot say it wasnt racist. When the women of Rutgers perceive it that way, then you can say that. Until then, you dont know how the comments made them feel. The injustice is in the eye of the victim. If I say "I'm going to kill you to someone I know, it might be perceived as a joke, to someone I dont it might be perceived as a threat. Same phrase. It matters who says it and what context and how the offended party feels.

I will worry about Imus when I hear apologies from Sharpton, Jackson, and The Black Panthers RE: the Duke case.

The Black Panthers attended Seliegman's first court date, one stood in the first row behind Seliegman and his Dad and shouted "dead man walking" and "rapist!" several times. No one stopped him.

Did you know that before they moved all of the Duke lacrosse players out of their dorms/etc, they needed 24 hr. protection from Durham police... there were real reports of some local, uh, "associates" of the accuser saying they were "going to go over and shoot those boys". FACTS. Not much in the media about either.

I do not worry too much about the Rutgers women. Imus was stupid and wrong, but this is not as signifcant as is being reported. Now Hussein Obama wants him fired.

Courstide:

So you approve of Black Panthers threats and Sharpton and Jackson "piling on" before the facts? Local "supporters" who threatened to shoot those boys?

Who is Obama to say he should be fired? Not nearly as as big a point, but, again, more "piling on". AND I know Obama cited the NC situation in favor of the real justice a few weeks ago, a rare "against the agenda" position; good for him.

Everone not associated financially with Al, Jesse, and the Panthers or a member of the wingnut coalition, knows that they are at best race baiting whores and at worst cop killing, drug dealing, thugs.

Imus is a dinosaur with a horrific world view and no common decency or sense. He's been tap dancing on and over the edge for years. It's past time he was gone......

>Courstide:

>

>So you approve of Black Panthers threats and Sharpton and

>Jackson "piling on" before the facts? Local "supporters" who

>threatened to shoot those boys?

>

>Who is Obama to say he should be fired? Not nearly as as big

>a point, but, again, more "piling on". AND I know Obama

>cited the NC situation in favor of the real justice a few

>weeks ago, a rare "against the agenda" position; good for

>him.

Dude...get yourself a serious reality check. Saddam Hussein is responsible for hundreds of thousands if not millions of public deaths and tortures, many of which against his own people. You want to compare him to Barrack Obama?

That is what I posted and responded to.....but because I am in the mood today, let's go down your strange road for a second.

I posted that there has been less coverage of the Duke lacrosse players and that in life, personal freedom and well being trumps racist comments...though I peronally do not take any sort of racist comments lightly at all, and have a big track record of not doing so. I also believe there should be reprimand for the accuser and mental evaluation and treatment as well.

I also believe ...take Collin Finnerty for example, that beating up a gay person and shouting epithets at that person unprovoked is not a sign of high moral character.(pled guilty, convicted) I also believe it it doesn't have relevance in their rape case.

To my knowledge, Obama has not said Imus should be fired, link please. And if so, a big if, ...he did say so, how does his saying a public radio host with a history of racist comments compare in any way shape or form to Saddam Hussein. I am unfamiliar with, nor do I understand your last sentence....you would have to explain and provide more information.

I've said many times in this forum and elsewhere that Al Sharpton is not credible.

I believe racism, bigotry and ignorance exists a lot of places with a lot of skin colors.

Courtside, hey, I am not diligent enough to see all your previous posts, so I apologize for that regarding your previous positions on some of these matters.

Regarding Finnerty, he got in a fight with a Georgetown football player near a bar, and called him a "******" during the scuffle (like some guys might say "*****" or whatever). The guy was not gay, it was just something that a kid says in the middle of a fight these days, but of course the liberal media jumped all over it, because of the Duke thing.

I will get a link later I am sure you will hear that Obama has called for Imus's firing. I do not compare him to Saddam, but I do have a problem with someone with Hussein in his name running for president, I do not think I could get a job in a Muslim country much less run for President with my name.

"but I do have a problem with someone with Hussein in his name running for president, I do not think I could get a job in a Muslim country much less run for President with my name."

You are one twisted little dude. I have many issues with Obama but his name isn't one. He's an American citizen that is all that matters

MB....You also suggest that Obama has no right to comment on the sbject saying who is he to say....but fellow Senator, fellow public figure John McCain has spoken publicly about this issue as well....did you accidentally leave him off of your post? Why didn't you also mention John McCain as having no right to comment either? They are both public figures, both asked the same question, both United States Senators, both been on Imus' show in past.

>

>Courtside, hey, I am not diligent enough to see all your

>previous posts, so I apologize for that regarding your

>previous positions on some of these matters.

>

>Regarding Finnerty, he got in a fight with a Georgetown

>football player near a bar, and called him a "******" during

>the scuffle (like some guys might say "*****" or whatever).

>The guy was not gay, it was just something that a kid says

>in the middle of a fight these days, but of course the

>liberal media jumped all over it, because of the Duke thing.

>

>I will get a link later I am sure you will hear that Obama

>has called for Imus's firing. I do not compare him to

>Saddam, but I do have a problem with someone with Hussein in

>his name running for president, I do not think I could get a

>job in a Muslim country much less run for President with my

>name.

Witnesses, a judge and others saw it differently for Finnerty. He and hsis two buddies were lookling for a fight, and unprovoked assaulted someone and shouted repeated homophobic elithets at the victim. Finnerty pled guilty and received 6 months probation.

You called Barrack Obama Hussein. Of course you compared him to Saddam Hussein, how else is one to take that? If you want to change your thoughts, that is another thing entirely.

You have a problem with someone running for President in this country who has Hussein in his name? It's sad and unfortunate that people like you exist, but I am sadly not surprised.

The whole point of the entire story can be summed up in a few sentences.

Don Imus sucks, he always has, his show isn't entertaining and it never was. So long.

Al Sharpton is an idiot, and always has been one. He is a loudmouth that does more harm than good. He is one of the top 5 racists I've seen.

The Rutgers coach is painful. She is using this as some sort of platform to get her name out there. Her incoherant rambling at the press conference made me want to hurl.

Womens basketball is painfully boring. Brad's style of play would fit in perfectly there.

That's about it.