thoughts on the Brad bashing

For what it's worth here’s where I think the criticism of Brad is legit…

5 years, no big dance (not even close to the bubble).

8th place finish in a bad conference with some really bad losses.

Consecutive years without recruits to make an impact (even a guy who could give 8-10 minutes a game would have been a big help).

Sending Angres to postgame interviews instead of facing the music.

Here’s where I think Brad’s critics are ridiculous…

Expecting SLU to out-recruit BCS conference schools...this is a joke. I can only think of a handful of players over the last 25-30 years who picked SLU over BCS-type programs: Douglass, Gray, Robinson (I think), Highmark, Winfield, Hughes, Lisch, Liddel. Please add any more to this list as I'm sure I've missed some.

Expecting big name coaches like Richardson, Daugherty and Tubby Smith to be interested in the SLU job. Even expecting top assistants to be interested is a stretch (see Soderberg vs. Gregory 5 years ago). I don't think the new arena outweighs the bad conference.

Believing that SLU recruiting should be limited to 6 or 8 names that some poster read on a list compiled by a guy who works out of his basement.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Expecting SLU to out-recruit BCS conference schools...this is a joke"

So maybe you should add one more complaint to your list on Brad because he continually tries to try to do just that while passing on quality 3-star recruits that may or may not want to come here.

When he explains why we didn't land a recruit last fall and proceeds to list the 6 BCS schools that his top 6 targets chose shouldn't you question why he indeed was focusing on those players? The Valley is littered with players like the SIU kids, Ahearn, O'Rear, Roundtree etc. In my opinion history is again repeating itself as we didn't go hard enough on a guy like Roundtree while we wait for Suggs Brandenberg etc. to choose between SLU and the BCS school of your choice.

Not to put words in your mouth but if you truly believe SLU can't recruit BCS caliber players don't you have to just hate Brad's strategy of going after the BCS kids, passing on the 3-star kids then settling for whatever he can find in the late spring after the BCS kids are gone and the 3-star players choose a Valley school?

I don't think the Brad Bashers have really slammed his "recruiting strategy" per se. We've questioned his ability to close the deal when he goes up against anyone, be it BCS or mid major. I would agree with Kshoe he only needs to look to the southeast to see a team doing pretty well with local 2 and 3 star players.

>Expecting SLU to out-recruit BCS conference schools...this

>is a joke. I can only think of a handful of players over

>the last 25-30 years who picked SLU over BCS-type programs:

>Douglass, Gray, Robinson (I think), Highmark, Winfield,

>Hughes, Lisch, Liddel. Please add any more to this list as

>I'm sure I've missed some.

Matt Baniak (offered by Indiana), Chris Henrich (heavily recruited by a number of BCS programs out east), H Waldman, and Reggie Bryant. Jeffers, Love, and Perry were recruited by decent programs, but I don't recall which ones. Ryan Hollins ultimately signed with UCLA.

I agree that there are probably twice as many recruits that we finished second to a BCS program. Most notably, Carawell, White, Stemler, the kid who went to Cal for one year, and Grimes.

kshoe said,

"In my opinion history is again repeating itself as we didn't go hard enough on a guy like Roundtree"

it was 11 months before signing date. 5 months before slu can initiate contact. what exactly were we supposed to do?

Roy, apparentely SIUC did more then we did. You are acting like we couldnt let him know we were interested. SIUC plays by the same rules we do and they just went into our backyard and got one of the best players in St. Louis

This whole Roundtree verbal needs to be put into perspective I think. I think a lot of credit has to go to Lowery in getting Roundtree. Lowery & SIU were on a great run and a top 10 team when he was able to get Roundtree & Booker to verbal.

Obviously Brad has offers out to '08 kids, not sure if Roundtree had one of those offers or not. Roundtree said he was interested in attending SLU to Nate, but by his actions not interested enough to wait on SLU. SLU has offered his teammate John, so I would have to guess there would have been opportunity to offer Roundtree or make it known there would be an offer once contacts could start.

I asked last week on one of those long threads and no one ever responded, if there are any grade issues for Roundtree. Was it Roundtree that missed time the year before because of grades or am I completely wrong and have him confused with someone else? I think if grades are an issue, then I certainly understand why Brad didn't make an early offer to Roundtree.

I agree with Roy on a lot of things regarding this subject, but I think this is just a cop out. SIU got the kids to verbal we didn't. It's not like we don't speak with kids before there senior year. Everybody does. Did't we have that meeting with juniors to be and a sophmore last year? It happens.

Now, I still maintain that if these kids really wanted to go to SLU, they would have waited. People do that all the time. Hell, look at Peterson and Pettigrew. They both REALLY want to go to a school and are holding out as long as possible because they may get offered.

>>Expecting SLU to out-recruit BCS conference schools...this

>>is a joke. I can only think of a handful of players over

>>the last 25-30 years who picked SLU over BCS-type programs:

>>Douglass, Gray, Robinson (I think), Highmark, Winfield,

>>Hughes, Lisch, Liddel. Please add any more to this list as

>>I'm sure I've missed some.

>

>Matt Baniak (offered by Indiana), Chris Henrich (heavily

>recruited by a number of BCS programs out east), H Waldman,

>and Reggie Bryant. Jeffers, Love, and Perry were recruited

>by decent programs, but I don't recall which ones. Ryan

>Hollins ultimately signed with UCLA.

>

>I agree that there are probably twice as many recruits that

>we finished second to a BCS program. Most notably,

>Carawell, White, Stemler, the kid who went to Cal for one

>year, and Grimes.

Jamal Johnson, Evan Pederson, Chris Sloan, Floyd McClain, Jamal Walker, Cory Frazier, Jason Edwin, Kenny Brown and Justin Tatum, to name a few more for sure. Even Justin Johnson and Adam Knollmeyer had offers at one point.

No, it's probably not a good idea to make a habit of trying to go head-to-head in recruiting against the likes of Michigan State, North Carolina, etc., but not all "BCS schools" are created equal. Northwestern, Penn State, Oregon State, Nebraska, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Colorado, Arizona State - these are all "BCS schools" too. Mid major conferences can and do outrecruit lower tier BCS programs for players. It can be done. To make a blanket statement that we shouldn't or can't outrecruit some BCS schools is ridiculous.

A look at the RPI from the past year shows that we were better than the following schools from BCS conferences: NC State, LSU, California, Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa, UConn, South Carolina, Auburn, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Seton Hall, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Penn State, South Florida, Oregon State, Rutgers, Arizona State, Colorado and there are more. BTW, the amazing Matt Dougherty posted a 217 rpi at powerhouse SMU, so he is clearly too good for the SLU job. :)

slu72, i am not saying that siu did a thing wrong. i am debating the belief that folks keep saying that roundtree wanted to come to slu. he didnt want to come to slu if he took the first third party offer that came along. he wanted to play for lowery.

sae, i am saying that i doubt roundtree really was all that interested in coming to slu.

he might have thought it would be neat to play here, but when he takes lowery's third party offer without an official visit or detailed contact, that shows me he really wanted to play for chris lowery.

i just am tired of folks saying he wanted to come to slu. if he did he wouldnt have accepted as early as he did to siu. he wanted to go to siu once he knew there was interest.

"i am debating the belief that folks keep saying that roundtree wanted to come to slu. he didnt want to come to slu if he took the first third party offer that came along. he wanted to play for lowery."

I think it can definitely be debated, but the fact that Roundtree allegedly wanted to come to SLU and went somewhere else is not contradictory. He's 17-18, maybe he changed his mind for any number of silly reasons, or because of SIU's ranking, or SLU didn't offer or this or that. Maybe he did want to play for Lowery more than Sodie. Point being, he could have wanted to come to SLU and go elsewhere.

How do we know that was the first third party offer that came along?

nashville said,

"Did't we have that meeting with juniors to be and a sophmore last year? It happens."

that can only happen with third party interference and reaction by the recruits themselves. brad cant call all five up directly and say "hey be at the busch center conference room at 11 am tomorrow".

i.e. those kids obviously showed a willingness and desire to investigate slu on their own.

moytoy, i agree with everything you said, and you are right, there probably were other third party offers. i should have said a very early third party offer.

the most recent article i read quoted reed (roundtree's coach) as saying roundtree has an 18 ACT score. an 18 i believe is the lowest possible qualifying score to get into 4 year division one colleges and if that is his final score, will require a very high college core GPA.

that doesnt mean roundtree doesnt have that, but i think (my opinion, no fact) most kids that score 18's on their ACT, dont have straight A's either. i hope torres is the exception.

no you are wrong. that is what nate latsch assumed. i immediately corrected nate that i didnt say that. as i expected that is what you (and others) convienently remembered.

one of the reasons i am not real happy with nate these days is for putting those words in my mouth that i never said, he tried to insinuate that is what i said when i all along meant that it was proof that roundtree never wanted to come to slu but rather wanted to go to siu.