Lowery/Iowa

AJ

Don't be surprised to see Iowa come after Chris Lowery as Alford's replacement. Although Lowery has denied interest in leaving SIUC, his denials have not been all that convincing. One big issue is family health issues. His son, I believe, has a medical condition that needs regular care. Now, they come to St. Louis because it is the closest place with high-quality healthcare. Iowa City has an outstanding medical center. It's a higher pressure job, but the expectations are lower than a Kentucky or Indiana situation. Lowery would also stay in his prime recruiting territory and compete on a near equal footing with Illinois for Chicago talent. Lowery was reportedly interested in the Mizzou job for similar reasons.

Think of the impact this would have locally. Roundtree still going to SIUC?

Please correct me, but didn't Bruce Weber have both Painter and Lowery on his staff at the same time. If Lowery were to leave, would they have to go outside for their successor? No one left to promote?

I know they have got several long-time assistants but I don't know that any of them are head coach material. On the other hand, they have done extremely well promoting from within. Recruiting implications could work both ways. Although Lowery has clearly hurt us in St. Louis, luring the big time players to Carbondale is still a challenge. Can you imagine what he could do at a big-time school? He'd create ruts in Hwy. 61 between Iowa City and here. He could probably still get Roundtree and maybe make a major play for Suggs, Griffey, et. al.

Lowery may be a great coach and some kids might normally like to play for him but if this would happen - a huge if - they would have to live and play in Iowa. This is a great example relating to past discussions. Sounds like Suggs really likes Romar as a person and coach but he'd have to live and play in Washington.

As much as alumni - me included - try to make sense and develop a pattern based upon the decisions talented 17 years olds, many times too much analysis leads to wrong conclusions. Recognizing that some kids want to leave St. Louis and "go away" to school geographic reasons and/or to one of the big name schools like Duke, NC, etc., most kids seem to want to be on TV/radio and to stay close to home so that they can play in front of their families and friends. If this is true, then Romar and Lowery (if he leaves) have and would have quite a challenge since the distance would make personal visits difficult and few for families and friends. This same logic, by definition, would limit such a kid's choices to SLU, MU, MO St, IL, SIUC and possibly Indiana. Assuming these to be the choices, SLU has the worst TV and radio package and the worst college basketball atmosphere - small number of students, loyal but older-passive fans, 1/2 full cavernous building. The basketball atmosphere is being addressed but the media package is sorely needed.

Ironically, without improvement, a kid might as well leave town and follow a coach like Romar or Lowery so that he can get on TV and have his friends and family watch him.

Clock Tower, Lowery was a starting PG at SIUC, but he did not serve on a coaching staff under Weber until Weber was coaching at Illinois.

Weber replaced Bill Gillespie with Lowery; Lowery was an asst. down at one of the directional KY schools when Illinois hired him away. I cannot emphasise enough the importance a strong coaching staff has on the continued success of a program. Gillespie, Lowery, Painter all were strong assistants that have since enjoyed the Big Dance as head coaches at different programs.

I dont understand why he would leave. He just took the team to the Sweet 16. He has Justin Bocot coming in who could start right away at the sg. He has a stud 6'11 center coming in Nick Evans. He's gonna be an MVC all-time great and you have another big guy that according to many scouts is supposed to be better than Evans in Carlton Fay. You return 5 of your top 7. 08 class already has 3 commits. This is his alma mater.

>I dont understand why he would leave. He just took the team

>to the Sweet 16. He has Justin Bocot coming in who could

>start right away at the sg. He has a stud 6'11 center

>coming in Nick Evans. He's gonna be an MVC all-time great

>and you have another big guy that according to many scouts

>is supposed to be better than Evans in Carlton Fay. You

>return 5 of your top 7. 08 class already has 3 commits.

>This is his alma mater.

I don't know if Lowery would leave Southern Illinois, but he has told people he'd be interested in coaching at SLU because he thinks SLU, with its market, could develop into a good program.

The Michigan job might be a good fit for him.

- Nate

Intersting point about him and SLU - seems out that he could see this but others on the board seem to discount it. Funny how a factor can be seen differently from two different angles. Lowery will leave SIUC if he gets enough money and can satisfy his family needs also. In the paper today they were talking about how he makes about 250K now and that SIUC is trying planning on doubling that - a BCS school will pay him double that so SIUC is really working at a disadvantage monetarily.

rodney watson has been an siu asst for like 20 years. if he wouldnt be considered, that would be terrible.

I have also heard Michigan has asked to interview and talk to him too.

Some fun stuff coming up here in the near future.

Cg

Yes Painter and Lowery were both on Weber's staff while he was at SIUC, there was a big article in the post about that just a week or two ago.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...AND+%22Weber%22

V-Time and others may be right and Lowery may stay at SIUC forever; I am only speculating based on my gut that he and his family may want to be in a bigger city and I know he flirted with the Mizzou job and is on Iowa's short list of candidates along with Crean, Altman and the rest of the usual suspects. Everyday is not gameday in Carbondale and you have got to keep family happy the other 350 days a year. I think Iowa may be a better fit for Lowery than Michigan because of its location and the fact that its a little less of a pressure job. Again, all speculation.

I hope the best for Lowery and his family, he's a class guy.

paul lusk, who is an assistant that went with painter from siu to purdue, would likely be a candidate. however, lusk is still fairly young.

the point is siu can continue the continuity of weber's reign if they so desire.

>paul lusk, who is an assistant that went with painter from

>siu to purdue, would likely be a candidate. however, lusk

>is still fairly young.

>

>the point is siu can continue the continuity of weber's

>reign if they so desire.

I heard Lusk applied for the head coaching job at Illinois State.

- Nate

On Chicago radio the other day he said he plans on coaching at SIU for a while however he said "winning comes with a price" and something to the effect that he wants SIU to come up with Gonzaga type money. I think he stays if SIU raises him to $600,000/yr. This could be done.

i believe that asst rodney watson and former siu and now purdue asst paul lusk will be at least considered. siu has had so much success riding the bruce weber family of coaches, why change that?

it is my understanding lusk is a relentless recruiter. i have seen lusk at a lot of games that's for sure.