Bernie RIPPING SLU and for good reason this time

SLUDrew

But at least that team was in the NIT.

All SLU really needs to do about this IMO it to take out the one word, "Historic," from the headline on the website.

This is obviously not life and death stuff here. But I hate to see SLU go through another week of ridicule from the STL media and being Bernie and Karraker's punching bag once again. Those guys need something else to occupy their time. Baseball is still 20 days away.

>But at least that team was in the NIT.

True but their record vs the top 100 was a lot worse (5-12).

>This is obviously not life and death stuff here. But I hate

>to see SLU go through another week of ridicule from the STL

>media and being Bernie and Karraker's punching bag once

>again. Those guys need something else to occupy their time.

The AD can't make every decision in fear of what Bernie and Randy will say. If they do, the terrorists win.

Gentlemen, my comments were not directed at either of you two in particular, or any one person at all. I'm not that tactful. It's just an observation that being a fan of any program is a purely voluntary association. If one's associations cause anguish and dismay, it may be time to reevaluate their benefit. All of those that support the program are certainly encouraged to soldier on. To those that wish us well, God bless them. To those that don't...oh well.

That was the old NIT. This new NIT, with only 24 at large bids is a lot tougher nut to crack. SLU would have made the old NIT, with its 40 bids, none of them "automatic," this year.

One year, a Spoon led SLU team was 16-13 on Selection Sunday, 4-10 in C-USA, as I recall, and still got invited to the old NIT, where it played and lost on national TV at Minnesota.

I wonder if the Rich Grawer team of Anthony Bonner's Senior year, that went all the way to the NIT Championship game in NYC's MSG, would have even been awarded a bid to this new NIT. I think that team was 17-11 on Selection Sunday playing out of the old MCC. Those were the days. The NIT gave SLU 3 home games at old Kiel Auditorium before NY.

But I doubt if the casual fan, and even some of these these media talking heads, have any understanding of the difference in the NIT. They think the NIT is a consolation tournament, the Not In Tournament tournament. They think it is just for losers. And then when you don't make the new NIT, they are of the mindset that you didn't make the old NIT, that let in almost everyone left in the top 100, and you must really be a loser.

It was a "historic" season in the sense that it was the first 20-win season Brad Soderberg has had as a head coach anywhere and SLU's first 20-win season in nine years. That's like Belleville's new police chief's making "history" as being the city's first black police chief. It's a matter of perspective.

Look, sports is just a form of entertainment. Did every movie you enjoyed win an Oscar? Get nominated for an Oscar? Does the fact that a movie didn't get nominated for an Oscar, much less win one, mean you should have enjoyed it less? How about your favorite song: did it ever win anything? Perhaps a "competing" song that you don't like one iota won instead. Does that make your opinion wrong?

I enjoyed the 2006-07 Billikens' season. It didn't wind up as I wanted (and I'm certain it fell short of the players' and coaches' expectations as well), but I enjoyed it and think it was a pretty good season. I expect the players and coaches to continue to strive to be the best, but even if they don't manage to make the NCAA Tournament next season, I'll be rooting for them every step of the way. Only if the principals involved become complacent will I be "calling" for anyone's ouster.

>It was a "historic" season in the sense that it was the

>first 20-win season Brad Soderberg has had as a head coach

>anywhere and SLU's first 20-win season in nine years.

Well...20 win season is kind of misleading. 19 wins versus division 1 opponents. Can we stop referring to this as a 20 win season, because in the eyes of the RPI/official type standings, it was a 19 win season. Good.

A few hours later, indeed this is much ado about nothing.

This is merely the unfortunate inclusion of 1 word in a press release headline. This is not the Fall of Rome. The press release was an attempt, perhaps ill advised, but still an attempt to put some positive spin on the season. Trying to put some positive spin on a team's season is occurring in the websites throughout college basketball, as the season ends for teams. In SLU's case, the errant use of one word in the headline was evidently the source for further media bashing. If this had been included in a press release elsewhere, at another school, it wouldn't have even made a ripple.

Example: if that word had appeared in a USF press release, I'm confident that Ralph Barbieri wouldn't have been having a field day with it on KNBR 680 in SF during drive time tonight. No one would care, one way or the other.

These STL media types are looking for anything right now to rip SLU. It is time for them to table it, stifle themselves. The season is over. Move on. If they think they are prodding SLU, they are wrong. They could be doing damage to SLU at this point with all this negativism.

Baseball is only 19-20 days away. STL is a baseball town. Once the Cardinals come north, that will be the end of the SLU bashing by Bernie, et al. They wil have other things to occupy their minds and time.