gordon

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lisch is one of the best guards in the nation. duke would kill to have the likes of a healthy kevin lisch on it's team this year imo.

sorry, the only duke players i would pick before lisch and liddell is mcroberts. that said, after lisch and liddell the rest of top 9 players would likely be dukies. luke and ian could make the team.

You can see Coach K loves Scheyer; he would love Lisch also. Scheyer has a couple of inches on Lisch but that's all. KL leads us in assists, fewest TO's for starting guard, 3 pointers, steals and FT for a reason. He's that GOOD (and btw, he's also our best defender and mentally toughest player)

Sometimes there are comparisons on this board that should be taken with a grain of salt. This is NOT one of them

I am not sure I would go that far. You have to realize the level of competition these kids are competing against. The ACC is at a level far above that of the A-10, you would have to question the numbers that both Lisch and Liddell would be able to put up in the top conference in the country.

I am not sure how you could honestly take Lisch or Liddell over Jon Scheyer.

i honestly would. that isnt taking anything away from scheyer. he is a very nice player and will be a star and likely a duke great by the time he graduates.

but why other than "its just duke" is scheyer better? there isnt a thing scheyer does better and lisch is a better defender and tougher as well. think about some of lisch's rebounds last night. man he truly is the honey badger.

as i said, if the two rosters were there to make up one team, i'd pick mcroberts, then lisch and liddell then the next 6 dukies.

the difference in the two teams (and most teams) starts after lisch and liddell.

keep in mind on 3 star's team, he isnt asking tommie to be the point as he kept paulus around. plus, since paulus and mcroberts and the rest of the duke roster would surround lisch and liddell, their need to take chances and create would lessen considerably. i.e. weaknesses wouldnt be seen as much. take the likes of nelson alone and switch him with tommie on the billiken team, do you think he would match tommie's production? i dont.

Have you ever seen Duke and Scheyer play? I think Kevin is a fine player in the A-10, but to say he would be as productive in the ACC is ridiculous. What have Tommie and Kevin done against major competition?

A&M - Tommie had 12 points and 5 turnovers while Kevin had 8 points and 2 turnovers.

SIU - Tommie had 14 points and 5 turnovers while Kevin had 14 points, 1 assist, and 2 rebounds

UNC - Tommie had 13 points and 1 assist while Kevin had 6 points, 1 assist, and 1 rebound.

I just think it is impossible to compare a kid who plays for an average team in the A-10 with a kid who starts for a top 20 team that plays in the best conference in the country. Scheyer is a better all around player than Lisch without question. To say otherwise is being ignorant to the difference in the level these kids are competing at. I would say to Kevin and Tommie; prove me wrong, show me you are on those kids level. The numbers just don't support your thoughts.

KL would definitely start for Duke this year. TL would see very significant minutes if he didn't start. They are both Coach K types. Savvy, unselfish, and can play D. By the way, how far above the A-10 is the ACC? Duquense beat BC, one of their top 4 teams. No doubt it's a better conference top to bottom, and A-10 conference leaders would end up in the middle or slightly below the top 5, but if SLU was on it's game I'd like our chances against the A-10's weaker teams this year.

I think these are ridiculous comments. What have Kevin and Tommie proven against top competition that makes you think they would be capable of matching their production in the ACC? Scheyer is a better player than Lisch hands down. You have to realize who these kids are competing against. We play one tournament level team in conference, Duke plays about 7 or 8.

OK, here's the situation:

Your team is down by 1 with 40 seconds to go with the ball. You are going to get a shot to win the game, and then have to defend the other team. Take any player from either Duke or SLU to take the shot and then guard the other teams best player.

I take Kevin, no hesitation

lisch has a better shooting percentage and has played half the season with his shooting arm and hand sewn together and covered with more guaze and tape than scheyer has seen in his life.

lisch has a better turnover to assist ratio and more assists than scheyer.

plus kevin and liddell are the focus players for the opponent every night.

no one is saying scheyer is not a very good player. he wouldnt be starting for duke if he wasnt.

the final factor doesnt come with a number and of course is just my opinion. lisch is just tougher. he lays it out on the floor every night and takes a lot of pride in the little things that happen in a game when you dont have the ball. scheyer also plays a very good floor game, and unfortunately the camera doesnt follow him away from the ball much and we dont get a chance to see him in person. but when i saw scheyer in high school, he did not possess those defensive and little things qualities to the degree kevin lisch does.

I'm not so sure about this one. I love Lisch and Liddell - both awesome players that could probably play anywhere - but who knows what kind of role they would have on Duke. I mean, that's a roster made up of All-Americans. It would be interesting to see how they'd fit in that system, but I am not sure if either would start over Jon Scheyer. FGWL had a great post earlier about how they've done against our best competition, and those haven't been good games for them. What if they're playing that every night? Just a thought.

Their numbers were great against Richmond last night - Richmond. Not any of the other great teams in VA or NC, but the lowly Richmond Spiders. Maybe they could develop better if they were playing ACC competition every night, but that's hard to judge.

I'm not saying they could never be that good, but maybe not quite yet. In fact, I think Kevin has as much potential to develop into a great player as Scheyer, given how Scheyer is built like a 13-year-old and isn't a particularly tough player. Scheyer could also be one of these guys who is a great college player but that's it - which could be known as Duke Syndrome.

I agree Pistol. I am not trying to take anything away from Kevin and Tommie, they are amongst the top players in the A-10. You have to realize though that this is the A-10 and we don't play a team that would even be in the top half of the ACC. I just think Kevin and Tommie need to show me that they can get it done against the high-level competition before I start comparing them to players at a school like Duke.