Quincy Win

it is my understanding the committee will totally ignore the quincy game. and since it has no bearing on the rpi, the game is inconsequential.

we took the quincy game because no one with a decent rpi would play us in st louis and to give the fan base the needed home games it was better to have quincy than to play sacramento state.

it is bad enough we had to have tennessee martin and western on the schedule. we didnt need another.

that is what i said. slu had to provide another home game. why provide sacarmento state and do harm to our rpi and give us just as bad if not a worse game?

what below 150 rpi team would come to st louis as a buy game brian? if you know, you should contact cheryl so she can get it lined up for next year.

Non-DI wins are not in the RPI but non-Div-1 results are known to the committee. As it was an official game and not an exhibition it is part of our "official" record. I doubt that anyone would use a D-II win as a positive thing but if SLU had lost than that could (and would) be used against us.

SLU didn't have to provide another home game. There is no rule that said they did. They could have simply chose not to play another home game.

I don't have a problem with what they did, but don't make it look like they were trying to do the fans a favor. They played that game to have an additional home game to generate revenue.

If you are going to do that it is far better to do it against a Quincy, than a team that will hurt your RPI.

Point one: They didn't have to provide another home date.

Point two: They didn't do it for the fans.

Point three: It was done to generate money for the program.

Point four: I am cool with that.

i didnt say anything about a rule. would you as a fan rather have not had an additional home game than have played quincy? i want to see the team play. and if they dont provide at least 17 games each year i am pissed that i am paying the amount i am paying for season tix. i'd have to check my media guide to see what year we didnt get 17 games.

Non-D-1 wins are not considered by the committee...it can hurt you if you are a bubble team...committee doesn't like the scheduleing of D-2 schools...and can hurt you if you are at some sort of landmark victory total...say you win 20 games...it will be 19.

I have seen D-2 games scheduled mostly because the coaches are friends etc...scheduling a D-2 game obviously hurts a big power team less than a bubble team. Overall it just lowers win total and does rasie a committee eyebrow for bubble teams. But not much more than that.

Since this thread deals with Quincy, the Franciscan school 17 blocks from where I was raised, I feel some need to post.

Quincy is actually a very good D-2 team. The Hawks are 17-4, 10-3 in the very tough Great Lakes Valley Conference, and are ranked 12th overall in D-2.

There are those, me included, who feel QU would have little trouble beating a Western Illinois. In the Massey Ratings of all college teams, Quincy is #283 out of 1507 schools. By comparison, Western Illinois is #428, and SLU is #84.

Now I realize that while playing Quincy did SLU no good at all as far as the NCAA Tournament Committee is concerned, in reality, at least in terms of the competition, Quincy was a better opponent for SLU than some of the bottom feeders in D-1. And perhaps most importantly, as others have noted, playing the Hawks did not hurt SLU's RPI.

Now when SLU opens its new arena, who will be the first opponent? If SLU cannot get a big name school, such as a Notre Dame, to open the new Arena, how about opening against Wash U? After all, SLU, under Rich Grawer, opened Wash U's refurbished fieldhouse when it reopened. (Grawer vowed he would never return.) I'll probably get flamed for this paragraph, but I would like to see SLU take care of that academic rival across from Forest Park sometime again in hoops.

One other point.

At one time, the NIT did consider the overall record, even including games against non-D-1 teams so that a school's record was at or over .500 to permit NIT qualification. That would apply to a St. John's or a big conference also-ran. It is my understanding that the old at least .500 record for the NIT has been dropped.

After about the top 125 teams in D-1, there really isn't much difference with the D-2 teams. That is also the opinion of my good friend, who is a Bradley alumnus and fan and also the PA announcer at the Quincy home games.

I was told that the Quincy folks were very impressed with SLU and the game setup, etc., first class.

We are intrigued by all these old Quincy opponents who are now D-1 teams. They are literally all over the place: SEMO, WIU, EIU, UIC, Chicago State, UMKC, et al. It looks like SIUE will be the next to go the D-1 route.