updated Bracketology

courtside

Has A10 down this week to 1 from 2.(he bumped UMASS, kept Rhode Island) He has not gone down t0 1 before. Bilas believes in 2 teams for A10. I believe a conference winner and tourney winnner could get two from A10. MVC, he really only has SIU as safe. Has 3 teams in,(SIU, N. Iowa, MO St) has one as last 4 in, one as last 4 out...making it 3 teams(and he thinks MO State has a lot of work to do to stay as last team in, has Creighton out and fading)...SIU, MO ST, and N Iowa are his teams. 7 seed for SIU, the other 11 or worse. Conference RPI for MVC is down to 5th....Lunardi picks MVC as 7th best as far as # of teams...no one else with 3 teams, a bunch with 2.

>The topic of A10 and MVC has been a large topic on this

>board for some time. Many MVC fans deemed it necessary to

>chime in recently. I wasn't up or down on anything. I

>merely state what is happening. I think the MVC is a good

>league.

My apologies for lumping you in with the other haters.

>I think the MVC is a good league too, albeit one that has

>figured out how to manipulate the RPI to make its teams look

>better than they really are.

>

>But I don't think the MVC, as it is currenly comprised, is

>the right league for SLU.

I guess they manipulated themselves to two Sweet 16 bids last year. I can give you two good reasons why the Valley makes sense - SIUC and MO ST. It would be nice for SLU to have a rival for once which both of those schools would become, even much more so than they are now.

>I think the MVC is a good league too, albeit one that has

>figured out how to manipulate the RPI to make its teams look

>better than they really are.

>

>But I don't think the MVC, as it is currenly comprised, is

>the right league for SLU.

Agreed certainly for many already mentioned reasons.

The MVC, according to Dana Altman, and several other coaches inits league, is in its best season ever according to them. And as hard as they have worked for attention, scheduling for RPI. etc...they still won't get more than 4 teams, and very possibly could get less this year. As down as the A10 is, and as "up" as the MVC is..from only an athletics standpoint, not a lot of difference, is the point. And of course this doesn't even mention all of the off court reasons.

They came over in droves with their RPI talk and rankings. When their individual teams RPI's drop, and league RPI drops two levels recently...that isn't when they come. It is people who live in 1.5 year moment. Imagine how tough it must be to get noticed and win when in your best year, 1 team is listed as only possibility with better than 11 seed this year right now, and they are a 7. That doesn't cry resepct to me. And all of the pressure in the world is on the MVC to win games in NCAA again this year, or all of those big hated media people will say, nice little league, nothing more.

That sort of treatment wouldn't even happen in the A10. It isn't about if it is a good league, it is about the MVC will have to do this many many years, not just 2 or 5 etc...to gain that respect, and that pressure is on them to do damage annually in NCAA's to move in league respect. And the MVC isn't going to be in any bigger media markets any time soon.

The A10 has a lot of work to do in many areas to improve, no question. But I will still take that. And I like the Valley.

Let's get something straight. I am not a MVC "hater." I was raised in Quincy, IL, and one of my best friends is a Bradley alumnus and big Bradley supporter.

Personally, I wish SLU would play Bradley again and restore what was once a very good rivalry. This being said, I do not think the current MVC is the right league for SLU.

we've played SIU and/or SMS virtually every year for the past 20 years. PLENTY of times to develop a "rivalry". How come neither of those teams games appears on our list of top 20 single game attendence records?

The A-10 only deserves one team, and it's whoever wins in Atlantic City. Let's hope this conference is never this bad again. There are a lot of historically good programs who are just down this year, and the timing couldn't be worse with the MVC in its second or third year as the sports media's mid-major darling. Give them credit for figuring out the RPI before the other non-BCS conferences and for getting a couple teams in the sweet sixteen, but they better enjoy this wave while they have it because it won't last forever. I wouldn't mind if they got 3 or 4 this year, but I don't expect that again. The power conferences are so strong top to bottom this year, and mid-level teams in the Pac-10 and Big Ten deserve spots way more than mid-level teams in the Valley.

You are correct that the SIU vs SLU game 12/30/93 was a sellout. 17,117 fans at the Arena. My list of top 20 attended games does not include it as the lowest on the list is 18,411 vs Cincy, also at the arena.

Like you said, if it was such a great rivalry it would sell out here an there.

Maybe I don't recall reading it, but why would one hate the MVC? Is it because we didn't move to the conference so therefore dislike them. I was all for the move to A-10 if for no other reason for a big change and to see new teams regularly. I still enjoy the MVC and love when their teams win. Unless they are playing our Bills I always root for an MVC team. Why wouldn't you. They are headquartered here. They play their conference tournament here. Most of the teams are regional in the sense you can drive to them inside of 6 hours. They are usually the underdog in most people's eyes nationally. All good reasons to like them. I can see if some disliked the SEC or the ACC for a number of reasons but still haven't figured out why the few on here who dislike the MVC actually dislike them.

I don't think anybody on here hates the Valley. I like all the Valley teams. I root for them whenever they go against the big boys. Now I think some of the Valley fans take any time you list the minuses of the Valley as hate. I do have some hate for the some of the Valley fans, some of the remind me of people with a Napoleon complex.

I would like to see the MVC add us and Xavier. I think that would be a good to solid league every year and with the Cincinatti, Saint Louis, and Omaha Markets they would probably have some leverage for a good regional tv deal with some national games. Plus it would be nice to have the conference tournament in our home town. The MVC has better facilities around it's league than the A10 and seems to have good leadership at the top.

Here is what the MVC would look like with both SLU and XU.

Bradley

Creighton

Evansville

Drake

Illinois State

Indiana State

Missouri State

Northern Iowa

Saint Louis

Southern Illinois

Wichita State

Xavier

EAST (Play 1/2 the teams home, 1/2 the teams away)

Bradley

Evansville

Illinois State

Indiana State

Southern Illinois

Xavier

WEST (Pretty good division, we would play each team home and away)

Creighton

Drake

Missouri State

Northern Iowa

Saint Louis

Wichita State

2006 Attendance

Creighton – 13,900

Wichita State – 10,435

Xavier – 9,774

Saint Louis – 9,325

Bradley – 9,220

Southern Illinois – 7,291

Missouri St. – 6,965

Northern Iowa – 6,898

Evansville – 6,025

Illinois St. – 5,409

Indiana St. – 4,278

Drake – 4,267

Current RPI as of 1/23/2007

Southern Illinois – 9

Missouri State – 30

Bradley – 36

Creighton – 42

Northern Iowa – 45

Xavier – 47

Wichita St. – 60

Indiana St. – 75

Evansville – 94

Saint Louis - 103

Drake – 113

Illinois St. – 127

For comparison here is the current A10 broken down the same way

Charlotte

Dayton

Duquesne

Fordham

George Washington

La Salle

UMass

Richmond

Rhode Island

St. Bonaventure

St. Joseph’s

Saint Louis

Temple

Xavier

2006 Attendance

Dayton – 12,422

Xavier – 9,774

Saint Louis – 9,325

Charlotte – 6,641

Temple – 5,725

UMass – 4,903

Rhode Island – 4,759

Richmond – 4,748

St. Joseph’s – 4,422

St. Bonaventure – 4,281

George Washington – 3,811

La Salle – 2,669

Fordham – 2,444

Duquesne – 1,528

Current RPI as of 1/23/2007

Xavier – 47

Dayton - 59

UMass – 67

George Washington – 78

Fordham – 96

Saint Louis - 103

St. Joseph’s – 104

Charlotte – 122

Rhode Island – 145

Temple – 149

Duquesne – 234

Richmond – 272

La Salle - 280

St. Bonaventure - 297

If SLU went back to the Missouri Valley, isn't highly probable that the MVC Tournament would be moved out of St. Louis?

I can just hear those folks in places like Carbondale and Springfield howling about SLU getting to play at home (or 20 blocks down the street at Scottrade Center once the new SLU Arena opens).

I also don't think Xavier would ever join the Valley.

We will have to see if the Big East ever splinters. If it does not, then perhaps sometime well down the road, something resembling the old MCC (now Horizon) could develop. How about this:

From the A-10:

SLU

Dayton

Xavier

From the MVC:

Bradley

Creighton

From the Horizon:

Loyola Chicago

Butler

Detroit Mercy

There you would have 8 private schools with similar visions, 6 of them Catholic, and 5 of them Jesuit. You would have the media markets of St. Louis, Detroit, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Chicago. Travel would be much less for SLU.