a look at the rpi today

if you make the following assumptions:

1. a 40 rpi or better is an automatic bid

2. all conference tourney champions will be a 40 rpi or less team of that conference has one.

than as of today there are only 6 bubble spots available.

i do not remember a time where there were 19 conferences that did not have a top 40 rpi team before. usually it is more like 15 schools.

right now the acc has 8 schools under the magic line of 40.

the big east and the sec each have 5 schools

the pac 10, big 12, big 10, and mvc have 4 schools

the mtn west has 2 schools

the wac, cusa, horizon, and colonial have 1 school.

what i think this means is that the top 40 is not safe this year. there will be upsets. thus it could easily cut into the top 40.

of course a couple of those acc teams will likely fall back as well when they start beating up on each other too.

Roy, you presented some nice facts and analysis. Please don't take personal offense at my grumpy attitude regarding the state of the program these days.

In light of my inital frustration with the Brad hire and the repeated "wait and see" promises that were made at the time, I am intolerant of the fact that five years later the RPI is languishing around 100, the conference record is sub .500 in a miserable conference, and there are no signed recruits to look foward to. I respect the opinions of you and Alumni, but I can't see any way to fix the problem that doesn't involve a change at the top.

your post had no place in this string. it will only serve to ignite the abc'rs in a string intended to stay away from the subject.

I will join in...the only problem I have with this is...people think RPI is a magic wand, the Holy Grail if you will. It is not. I gave examples in another thread. Obviously MO St proved that last year as did Seton Hall over Cincinnati and so on. Lunardi had 70 RPI UMass in this week. I just think too many people on here think it is a magic ticket. It isn't. There are many other just as important factors. RPI is a game. The mid-majors were one bid leagues and tried to play the RPI game. With the big boys, RPI comes crahing down in conference. Syracuse with that home cookin non-conference has an RPI in the 30's. I believe Roy mentioned Marquette's 80 RPI not very long ago, and it sits at 35. Florida, same thing. Then on the other hand, you can do an SIU. I am posting the link to SIU's schedule. Their RPI is 16. Take a look at their schedule, non-conference...don't see any special wins...I see two home games, that is it, I believe if I am correct.

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl...skbl-sched.html

Yeah, I think the rpi has lost a lot of relevance seeing the MVC make a complete mockery of it last year. I am not saying it is not looked at, but it is by no means an end all be all ranking of who is going to get in. I posted the other day how the #1 team in the country has an rpi of 30 and how the top 70 is stocked with the upper half of the MVC. Obviously a solid rpi will not hurt you, but I think people may put too much stock into it.

SIU's non-conference schedule:

3 home games, Murray State, SLU, and Central Michigan, all wins for SIU (3-0);

4 away games, Louisiana Tech (W), Western Kentucky (W), Indiana (L), St. Mary's (W), (3-1);

3 neutral court games, Arkansas (L), Minnesota (W), Virginia Tech (W), (2-1).

SLU's non-conference schedule:

6 home games, only 5 count for RPI purposes: Quincy (W, but does not count for RPI), Houston (W), WIU (W), Mo. State (W), North Carolina (L), Ole Miss (W), (4-1 for RPI);

4 away games: Texas A&M (L), Loyola Chicago (W), SIU (L), Pacific (W);

2 neutral games: La. Tech (W), Lamar (W), (2-0).

Current RPI's per Pomeroy: SIU 14, SLU 101.

It would seem that SLU's non-conference schedule was difficult enough. I don't like the idea of having to give up any more home games for RPI purposes. However, the RPI was changed to give more credit for road wins and less credit for home wins.

Re SIU's non-conference schedule, only Indiana (RPI 21) and Western Kentucky (RPI 74, but via an automatic bid) would be in the NCAA Tournament per the RPI.

SLU's RPI was hurt badly by those losses to the Bonnies on the road and especially to Duquesne at home. Still the RPI is mysterious when one considers that Creighton (12-6) has the same record as SLU, but an RPI of 32. Bradley (12-7) has an RPI of 34.

Agreed. Truly believe the RPI unfairly punishes you if you play, even if you win big on the road, a team with a high/poor RPI. Good idea but now skewed the other direction.

Is a team's prior RPI factored into new RPI calculations? Would RPI ratings be different if they were not calculated during the season but only after/toward the end of the season? Granted, the Valley did quite well early. With that said, now that many Valley teams have very high RPIs, it does not seem like a loss (SIUC) hurts as much since they lost to another high RPI team.

The way you play the RPI game is for teams in a conference to schedule as many power teams before conference play begins. Then when conference play begins losses to each other have little effect on RPI. The MVC does this very, very, well. Give them some credit. Just because the A10 sucks at this, don't blow off the MVC as somehow "beating the system."

>The way you play the RPI game is for teams in a conference

>to schedule as many power teams before conference play

>begins. Then when conference play begins losses to each

>other have little effect on RPI. The MVC does this very,

>very, well. Give them some credit. Just because the A10

>sucks at this, don't blow off the MVC as somehow "beating

>the system."

Except, that system didn't allow MO St and their 20 something RPI to dance last year and that system doesn't guarantee you to dance. You can also schedule mediocre teams on the road and win those games as well. There are many ways. Sure, credit for playnig the RPI game before other mid-major conferences did. But it isn't an automatic dance ticket.

Vanilla! No great teams and no poor teams. 25 - 27 average games against average competition. If that's how you get a high RPI, then enjoy it. Yet another reason why I'm glad SLU did not join the Valley.

A little over 10 years ago, SLU was playing Cincy, Memphis, Marquette and DePaul. Spoon used the Valley as a stepping stone. While SLU's program has slipped and I am not thrilled with the A 10, am confident I don't want us to settle for mediocrity. Are some Valley programs ahead of SLU right now? Sure. Join them? No, we can do better.

70% of USA population is either coast-the NCCAA may feign some entusiasm for a cinderella team out of a nowhere conference but most

fans realise teams from schools that didn't exist 40 years ago from

cities or states with small populations does'nt pull advertisers unless its for corn or soybeans;the Ivy league gets a disproportionate share of football media and the A10 is more newsworthy to the Jesuits and the public at large-SLU is trying like Xavier, Temple, Dayton, etc

to make a difference. It would make more sense for SIUE to join the valley than us and they probably have a hell of a lot bigger athletic

budget coming over the next 10 years; we may be going across the river

to see D1 football, too