The Fetz? Let's End This Right Now.

Pistol

I have seen this nickname for the new arena floating around here for a few days, and I have to say that I hope this doesn't stick. It's one of the stupidest, lamest sports venue nicknames in a country full of terrible sports venue nicknames: the Jake, the BOB (former Bank One Ballpark), etc. I would be embarassed for someone to see them walking around calling the new arena "the Fetz." That's a good way to sound like a huge idiot in public. This is one of those things about being a SLU fan that a lot of my buddies would make fun of me for (I already get ripped on enough because we're never in the tournament).

>

>How about calling it by its real name to honor the man that

>is taking us to the next level?

He gave $12 million. For the going rate...that should get him 12 years give or take. If he wants his name on it longer, he will need to write another check at that time, or else it will possibly go to a higher bidder.

Agreed- it won't need a ridiculous sounding nickname, people will know what you're talking about when you call it the arena.

The Shay is pretty awful too, by the way.

As a native St. Louisan who grew up sitting in the cheap seats of every Blues and Bills game I could get to, I know the old St. Louis Arena and its rafters very well (even though it has been closed since I was 11). However, it has been demolished as you point out, and I don't think anyone not suffering from dementia will be confused when someone talks about going to a basketball game at "the arena" once SLU's new place is built. I would think more people would be confused if you talked about going to a SLU basketball game at the Fetz, and then you would get made fun of for trying to use a cute nickname for it.