Class of 07 Recruiting

Box and Won

Those are the only ones I have heard about, though as we all know BRad likes to keep these things close to the vest. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a commitment from someon none of us have ever heard of.

That being said, of those listed above I would be most excited if DJ Kennedy or Leon Powell were to sign. The other guys seem like nice role players but not much more. Although I would love to know more about the Lithuanian JUCO if anyone has any more info on him. If I recall, isn't he a PF?

It's all speculation at this point but here's my best guess at the 12 Brad was referring to based on our needs and/or recruiting buzz around them over the last month.

demond watt HS

jeff peterson HS

marcus walker juco

anthony mitchell HS

marcus relphorde Prep

d.j. kennedy HS

gary correia HS

mantas griskenas Juco

leon powell HS

ivan evans Juco

thiago cordeiro Juco

yima chia-kur Juco

Other names that have been mentioned.

Rodney Alexander JUCO at Redlands--was mentioned during Fall recruiting period not sure still involved or not.

D'Lancy Carter JUCO at Vincennes--originally from Belleville area but moved to TX as senior. Good size but unimpressive numbers, backup center type.

Tommie and Kevin have two more years, and Tommie may only have one more year. Getting guys who MAY become contributors in a couple years is not going to cut it. We need guys who ARE going to contribute right away. Understandably, not all four recruits we may sign this spring are going to be immediate impact guys. In my opinion we need at least an immediate impact PF and an immediate impact PG. If Brad can find a way to get two players to fill those voids, we should be in pretty good shape.

Otherwise, I don't see how next year's team will be any better than this team.

mitchell handles the ball just fine and would be a good get as a guard imo. he is not an undersized power forward imo, but he isnt afraid to take the ball to the basket and rebound and defend the lane. however as my son said, he doesnt appear to have a very good outside shot at this point.

but mitchell can dribble the basketball, has decent court vision and can defend any area high school guard imo. he had the ball vs the press and tight full court man to man as much as anyone else on the eastside team. plus, dont forget he is the best player on the team that besides alton has the best chance to go to the state tourney of any team on the east side of the mississippi and south of springfield. best players on best teams are always worthy of looking at imo. mitchell is a very good athlete.

as vtime suggested, the better get is kavon lacey. i have seen alton now a couple of times and when you watch them warm up you wonder how in the world this team is winning as they have no physical specimen's that stand out.

the answer is that lacey and his running mate, brandon wilson (who is also a senior) are likely the best backcourt tandem right now in the metro east area. both are very athletic and very fast. they defend like no other pair does, wilson is especially quick, but lacey is as well. both do not turn the ball over but inflict the opposite on their opponents but lacey really shoots the ball very very well and has a knack for finding open spots when he doesnt have the ball.

wilson is not as physically strong or big as lacey so that might hold him back for the next level. but lacey is very strong yet not the classic football build. unless we want another small forward/wing player more (mitchell) lacey is the better get as a guard/point.

Powell doesn't excite me. He is a tweener who hasn't showed great interest in SLU and will likely face academic challenges even if he qualifies. He just strikes me as the somewhat tyical athletic recruit at Vashon who struggles to find his niche in college basetkball. Even the biggest Vashon success stories--Polk and McKinney--have largely been roll players, not difference makes.

Thanks B-Roy for the report on those players. I really like the sounds of Mitchell. I think he sounds like the 2-3 type player we need, especially since we will probably always be undersized at the 4. I like having a guard that can rebound and play tough defense--this type of player should always be able to find a role on the team.

I also like the sound of Lacey. I wouldn't mind signing 3 high school players this Spring so long as we also get a JUCO that can come in and be a big contributor inside.

By the way, welcome back B-Roy.

not really.

nate wasnt giving an accurate picture and i felt i had to comment.

i am not ready to return, however the health of the board has improved, but i have no interest in debating billikens until it appears the vast majority of debate is healthy again.

it is my guess that brad wants two immediate contributing inside players that can rebound and defend better than ian has this year. i.e. jucos.

and he probably wants a pure point guard (lacey would qualify, mitchell probably would be better suited for wing).

the other scholarship was to be taken by the best player available and it is my guess that is relphorde. mitchell was probably the backup offer for that scholarship. same with powell. that is just my opinion, i have zero inside information to prove otherwise. i may be wrong, but assuming mitchell or reliphorde could be our point guard is not likely imo. and powell is a tweener and i would doubt they expect him to be a replacement for ian next year.

soderberg is adament he is only using 4 this spring.

btw, earlier in the week nate made a comment about soderberg leaving before the vashon game in that district doubleheader. remember, soderberg has to diary his games he visits and is limited to the number of games he can see. i think that also goes for a limit to the number of times he can view a specific player.

also, there was talk about the needed ACT scores and the sliding scale. here is the chart to explain.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/membership...e_quick_ref.pdf

My take is that the two impact players are needed (and more readily available) at the point guard and at the power forward. That's why the staff has focused so intensely on Jeff Peterson and Gary Correia, who play against high major D-1 recruits on a regular basis. Marcus Walker would be a great get but since he's the point guard on the #1 juco team in the country, we may get pushed aside by some high majors late in the process. I really don't think Lacey is in the equation. We're also in on a number of 6'6/6'7 athletic juco forwards.