RPIs: SBU-328 DU-267 URI-226 (Ouch)

SLUDrew

Scheduling patsies is one thing, but when you HAVE to play them in conference it really hurts. Just by virtue of stepping on the floor for our next three games, our RPI will fall through the floor.

What really hurts is that if the Bills happen top have one off night and lose to one of these teams, it would virtually end any at-large hopes.

I was all for, and still am behind, moving to the A-10 over the Valley, but my confidence in that decision is really starting to waiver

I completely agree with the need to eliminate two bottom dwellers from the A-10. The conference is already big enough and these two teams have been terrible, year after year.

In my opinion, the A-10 would improve significantly if they could just get rid of Duquesne and St. Bonny. Year after year they are terrible and it is clear that they are not deserving of the "upper" mid-major conference that is the A-10. The conference RPI would improve, the level of competition would improve, and the overall preception of the a-10 would improve. I truly believe that people view the a-10 as a low mid-major conference now, along the lines of a sun belt, big west, and colonial athletic (fans with your blinders on, this is true, whether or not you want to admit it).

The move to the A-10 could still remain a solid move if the A-10 eliminates two of these just perenial aweful teams. Thoughts??

the fall through the stratisphere that the a-10 has experienced the last 3 seasons is unbelieveable. what irks me is the apparent complacency of the conference. as recent as about 45 days ago, Commish Brenda told me in an e-mail she was expecting multiple bids for the conference. i guess that has been shot to hell.

but even on the a-10 board, the number of fans that think the conference is doing fine is irratating as hell. assuming the fans are nothing more than an extension of each athletic dept, it must be driving cheryl levick crazy to deal with this group.

put a mandate out that in 2-3 years the conference will shrink by 4 teams. lay out expected guidelines that each school must meet to remain in the conference. and then see who rises to the challenge.

that said, brenda doesnt have the guts.

Thinking about it last night, and if you go ahead and eliminate three teams...St Bona, Duquesene and perhaps Lasalle (or if Temple finally moves conferences) then you're left with 9 teams. 9 seems to be the perfect set up for college hoops because you get to play everyone twice and have 16 games on your conference schedule.

Well, without purging any teams - which would be well nigh impossible in a political sense- perhaps the Bonnies could change their nickname to the Saints or SOMETHIGN OTHER THAN BONNIES! Jesus, that is one pathetic moniker. Just how can they gain any traction when the recruits parents are giggling into their coffee?

To get down to nine teams, the conference would have to eliminate five teams. That's unlikely. Furthermore, I don't really like for a conference to have an odd number of teams, because it means one of the conference teams would have to be off each weekend or would have to play a non-conference game in the midst of the conference portion of the schedule. And that means the conference RPI ranking would be adversely affected, since the teams more likely to dates open for non-conference games during the conference season would be independents and lower-level Div. I teams.

Eliminating three teams, as you've suggested, would give the A-10 11 teams, which I don't like, though I guess the Big 10 has learned to deal with it.