Game Thread

moytoy12

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what a game, way to ice it polk. Way to get those dunks tommie. Big threes kevin during the run. Luke Meyer you are a hero. Ian great shotblocking. JJ, big shot during the run. Bryce you didnt commit any stupid fouls. Danny you went hard to the basket. GREAT GAME! What a comeback. WAy to show some offense. Luke hitting that 3 on the break gave me Borgia flashbacks. SLU can win with area kids year in and year out.

There are teams, and there are teams, and then there are teams. Stupid statement (I know) but what this means is that there is no sure fire definition of a team. Standard team would be the traditional 1-2-3-4-5 team ... point, shooter, slasher, rebounder/enforcer, and center. Given that that in no way describes this edition of the Bills doesn't really matter. You can win in the college game with different makeup, you just have toplay to your strengths and minimize your weakensses. If you have four guards, it seems you don't play to the tradional team makeup. But if you do have four guards, I don't know how you have turnover after tournover.

That said, I want to say that I predicted a comeback win at half. Big deal, right? What I think this shows however is that to win, we have to play to our strengths, and not come in after a break and loaf or take anything for granted. We are definitely not North Carolina or Duke and will never win on talent alone. Intensity must be there from the get go. I did not see the game nor listen to it so I might be off in my call for intensity but it has to be something.

I have long said that for a team to be good, to be above average, it needs to defend the home court, win those on the road it should, and pull some upsets along the way. This could have been a bummer heading into the regular season but they came back and demonstrated heart. Sometimes heart beats talent. This says to me that this is an above average tema so far. The only thing I'd say is off kilter right now is not being able to win at Carbondale. Losing to two top ten teams is no slouch. We had a chance at Carbondale but it went awry. Oh well. Those things happen. At ten and three, I have little if any problems this year. An average team does NOT come back and beat either Ole Miss or MoState. An Average team does not win at Pacific or at Loyola. I think we are sitting pretty as the depleted A10 turns inward.

The A10 is guard dominated. You would think with four/five/six guards we will be okay. Winning at St. Bonnie is the next biggest game. As much as I would have liked to have some choices with JJ/Obi/Adam/HD, well, like I said, this is BILLIKEN basketball. I also would like to have seen Dustin do a little more but it is what it is.

The starting five is what it is. Jj and Danny are the benchers. Maybe Adam, Bryce and Dustin can contribute in their moments but who knows. This is what we are going to go to the dance with, like it or not. My support is there.

But please, let's acknowledge we can't shoot and go from there. It would be nice to hit our shots at the beginning and open the lane for Ian. Or maybe we pound it in to Ian in the beginning and have him dump it out for us to hit a few that way. In any case, again bringing the lunchpail to every game, every night, from the opening tip, is our only way to win. Maybe one day, we'll even win comfortably.