Monster effort by local recruit 39pts

VTIME

He's definitely holding out for better offers. He's having his finest season. Last night he followed up that 39pts 12 reb 5 blk performance with a 31 pt 15reb, 6blk performance

http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketball...vent259705.shtm

Vashon has not updated their stats page to include the tournament numbers. He was averaging 21.7ppg and 9.6 rebs and 3.14bks in 7 games before the Poplar Bluff tournament. I've taken the Liberty over adding the last 2 games stats and averaged them out over 9 games. Powell is now averaging 24.7 ppg, 10.4 rebs, and 3.7blks.

SLU made him wait for an offer so now they have to wait and see if they get his services. I dont really know how many offers he has but I'm sure its between 5 and 10. It's finally his team and he's showing out. I knew this day would come. In any other state, a sophomore who leads an undefeated team to state championship and a #1 national ranking would have an offer from the hometown school. Brad waits well over a year after and you expect the kid to just jump at your offer at he's been treated like that. I cant blame him.

Any word on when he plans to make his decision? The loss of OI and HD have made big men very high priorities and has really raised the importance of getting Powell to come to SLU. Hopefully somebody is banging on his door advertising all the extra minutes that are going to be available to him now that he's got two less people to compete against. Considering AK and BH are our options on the inside next year, it's hard to see someone with significantly more athleticism than those two not jump in and get significant PT.

Also V - I watched Leon at the shootout in early December and wasn't terribly impressed. He showed flashes but nothing that dropped my jaw. Now considering the type of numbers he's putting up, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I was wondering if you saw that game and what I missed or he didn't show in that game as opposed to the rest of the year.

>Any word on when he plans to make his decision? The loss of

>OI and HD have made big men very high priorities and has

>really raised the importance of getting Powell to come to

>SLU. Hopefully somebody is banging on his door advertising

>all the extra minutes that are going to be available to him

>now that he's got two less people to compete against.

>Considering AK and BH are our options on the inside next

>year, it's hard to see someone with significantly more

>athleticism than those two not jump in and get significant

>PT.

>

>Also V - I watched Leon at the shootout in early December

>and wasn't terribly impressed. He showed flashes but

>nothing that dropped my jaw. Now considering the type of

>numbers he's putting up, I'll give him the benefit of the

>doubt, but I was wondering if you saw that game and what I

>missed or he didn't show in that game as opposed to the rest

>of the year.

I think you have to take that game with a grain of salt. For one, Alton has a great defensive scheme. Secondly, after losing 2 games early and having a VERY large fan base grumbling, he's pretty scrapped all those college sets and made Powell option 1,2, and 3. I guess he forget it was high school and you can dump the ball into your dominant big man all day til the cows come home. Its evidenced in Powell 70pts over the last 2 games. Walker is also starting now as he should've been after starting last year under Floyd. Walker spreads the floor so teams cant really double or zone Powell as much.

>VTIME WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!?!?! YOu have been claiming Powell

>wants to come to SLU so badly, now you completely change

>your story.

He did, and he showed that with his actions hanging out at West Pine etc. He's still gotta weigh his options. SLU offered him very late in the process. Can you explain why SLU wasnt his first offer? That's ridiculous. Can you blame him for holding out? If Bonner continues to ride him, they will win the championship, he'll be player of the year (and possibly Mr. Basketball) and he'll be a spring signee somewhere. I do think right now its 50/50 SLU/Mizzou. I originally thought Anderson was going to give that lone scholarship to some out of state star, but the fact that he's held on to it, leads me to believe that he's keeping a watchful eye on Powell. He's guaranteed playing time with Mizzou, they play everybody, but at SLU he would get more minutes if he was a starter. I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. I can guarantee that he wont end up at Junior College next year or any year.

vtime said, "I can guarantee that he wont end up at Junior College next year or any year."

it is great to hear that he has apparently scored well on the ACT. thanks for that info v!

>Alright, so what's your feeling on him then? You think he

>chooses SLU when push comes to shove or did we miss our

>window. Hard to believe we have a better option than him at

>this point in the recruiting season. We ought to be putting

>on the full court press.

SLU has a better chance. Anderson's first priority is a pg. Horton and Hannah are both juniors and he has no other pg's on the roster and doesnt want to start a freshman in 2008-2009. If someone just mentions that to Powell, then that should lean him away from MU. The only thing Anderson could tell Powell is that Mike Anderson Jr. and Demarre Carroll can be taken off scholarship because they are relatives of Coach Anderson and assistant TJ Cleveland. Also Matt Lawrence can go back on Academic scholarship. He wasnt going to start at either school anyway, but I think losing Obi and HD does help the cause tremendously, because it leaves him as the primary backup at the pf spot now if he signs. Things are going in SLU's favor right now. I definitely thought initially that signing two pf's in the spring hurt SLU's chances with Powell even though he wanted to come. Now with AK moving to center next year and no other bigs on the roster, Brad can use that to lure Powell. I personally want him at SLU. I also understand that he's an rated top 150 by ESPN.com and having a stellar senior season and there is cause to holdout. Polk might be Brad's best unofficial recruiter in this situation. I think its against the rules for Brad to authorize Polk to recruit him, I would think Polk could help with Powell, the same way Meyer could help with Eckerle.

Yeah. Polk should really help out in landing Powell. Does anyone know the rules with stuff like that? I sure hope we get him. I think he can legitimately challenge Luke at the 4 although Luke probably won't lose his starting spot his senior year to a freshman. Powell gives us a guy that is a little bigger and has more athleticism and can actually play (not another JJ) to go against teams like Carolina.

It's nice to see VTime is back to being Leon Powell's publicist again.

It's also good to know that Powell will be the national player of the year after having two good games against teams no one knows anything about.

There are a couple comments on here by VTime that are contrary to what I've been hearing about Powell's college options. I'll leave it at that. People here can believe whatever they want to believe.

I will say SLU should be a much better option for Powell, if he can qualify, now that there is more of a need for a power forward. He's still an undersized power forward at the next level, but he's bigger and more athletic than the Billikens' current option at that spot.

- Nate

Not national player of the year, but All-Metro Player of the Year. He'll continue the streak of Vashon 1st teamers; Polk 04, J. Hill 05, B. Hill and Washington 06. If they win state again I think you have to give it to him and I know you help select the teams Nate. Powell might be the only player to make 2nd team as a sophomore and be pushed back to third team as a junior. Also I thought the out of town teams in the Poplar Bluff X-Mas tournament are supposed to be really good. Am I wrong Nate. If I am let me know. I'm sure if they had pulled out of the tourney and went somewhere else you would be saying they were scared of the competition or something. As long as they continue to let him get 19 and 22 attempts which is what he's gotten the last 2 games, i dont know who can beat them. That should've been the plan all year. Lets see what Powell does tonight in the championship. If he they win he'll definitely get tournament MVP and he only needs 20pts to average 30pts for the tournament.

http://www.cstv.com/recruiting/baskbl-recr...lass2007-4.html

Also you get a good chance to see him against a Wisconsin commit who plays the pf Keaton Nankivil.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/wia...82779&ntpid=147

WIAA Division 1 state boys basketball runner-up Madison Memorial is scheduled to play perennial Missouri power St. Louis Vashon in the 16th annual Highland (Ill.) Rural King Shootout Classic next Jan. 6. Vashon went 27-2 last season, winning the Missouri Class 5A state title, and will return a veteran team with four players 6-foot-7 or taller led by two-time all-state selection Leon Powell.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Leon+Powe...=yfp-t-429&b=51

The major portion of Alton’s need to protect the paint came from the great play of Vashon’s Leon Powell and Darron Hobbs.

The 6-foot-8 Powell gashed the Redbirds on the interior while Hobbs mixed up tough outside shooting with gashing drives to the basket.

Hobbs led the Wolverines with 14 while Powell pitched in 13 in defeat.

Perhaps the biggest moment for Powell came with Vashon trailing with four minutes left to play in the third. The senior flushed down a rim rocking two-handed dunk over a Redbird defender.

"Leon is the same caliber as the other young man from Alton," said Bonner in reference to Lacey. "He’s a special player. He just has to learn some things to let the potential he has fully blossom. Darron’s going to be a great player."

While some great shooting kept the Wolverines in the game, the team’s offensive choices betrayed it in the early going as Vashon shot only 18-percent in falling behind 16-13 at the half.

Vashon did manage to shoot 30-percent for the game.

"I think our shot selection hurt us," Bonner said. "I think we took the first open look because we were down, because we were playing poorly."

When did Alton become a great team?

For the record, the competition was not as extremely pathetic as scheduling bottom level Chicago teams in recent past seasons...but not cream of the crop teams either. Union City is not ranked top 10 in Nashville area, let alone state of Tennessee. They are decent however. Can't say the same for Tulsa Science and Tech. The teams from Arkansas and Miss or solid clubs if Vashon will be playing them. Some of the teams mixed in the event are a lot better than others.

>When did Alton become a great team?

>

>For the record, the competition was not as extremely

>pathetic as scheduling bottom level Chicago teams in recent

>past seasons...but not cream of the crop teams either.

>Union City is not ranked top 10 in Nashville area, let alone

>state of Tennessee. They are decent however. Can't say the

>same for Tulsa Science and Tech. The teams from Arkansas

>and Miss or solid clubs if Vashon will be playing them.

>Some of the teams mixed in the event are a lot better than

>others.

Alton plays great team defense. Also, the guards shot Vashon out of the game. All they had to do was go to Powell like they have the last 2 games. He scored 39pts on 19 shots the other day. He should get the ball every possession until a team proves they can stop him. Gateway Tech is a similar defensive team. Their strategy on Anthony James was brilliant in the semifinal game thursday. They played Box and 1 against James to take him out of the flow early. It's just a testament to how good James is that he scored 19, but Gateway won the game, just like Alton won. I think Floyd would've realized that getting the ball to Powell was the top priority, but hopefully Bonner has figured that out and will turn Powell into the player he was at Vashon and SLU and convince Powell to attend SLU. If Brad cant land Powell with Bonner and Polk on his side, something is terribly wrong. I say this assuming Bonner being a SLU great helps, not indicating any actual relationship between Brad and Bonner.

bonner and polk may be on slu's side, but floyd is still in charge of leon from all that i've been told. word on the street is that he wants leon at mizzou and is pushing him that way. It's been that way ever since anderson was hired. he also wanted dwayne to transfer there as well during the summer, but that never came to pass.

whether leon ends up on mizzou depends of if anderson gives the offer I guess. if floyd wasn't running the show in this case, leon would have already been signed by now to slu.

bad boyz for life

courtside, alton is indeed a very good team. currently they are 13-3 just won the centralia holiday tourney. at this point in the season, i would guess they or east st louis will be the southern illinois team to go to the state tourney this year.

Thanks P. Diddy, I too have been under the belief for months that SLU was his first choice. At SLU he will probably start 3 years taking Meyer's spot after graduation. At Mizzou he's guaranteed 15mpg from day one, but he's also guaranteed not to start until his junior year because Lawrence, Carroll, and Lyons dont graduate until 09. SLU is definitely his best situation. What would you guys do in a similar situation.

>Not national player of the year, but All-Metro Player of the

>Year. ... If they win state again I think you have to give it to him and I know

>you help select the teams Nate.

See, there you go. You think you have to give an award to someone without even seeing how things play out. Does that make any sense? There are several kids having good years right now. I'd say Powell is in the mix, but doesn't have to get anything.

>Also I thought the out of town teams in the Poplar Bluff X-Mas tournament are supposed >to be really good. Am I wrong Nate. If I am let me know.

I talked to a college coach last night about the competition at Poplar Bluff. He said one of the teams Vashon beat up on was a small school squad that had all 6-foot and 6-foot-1 players. So Powell, who's somewhere in the 6-5, 6-6 or 6-7 range, should dominate against smaller opponents.

>Lets see what Powell does tonight in the championship. If he they win he'll definitely get

>tournament MVP and he only needs 20pts to average 30pts for the tournament.

Vashon lost, but I haven't seen how Powell did yet.

- Nate