What's the story on Suggs

courtside said....."KS lacks athleticism....."first year on bench adjusting to D1 pace, strength and size"......"his handle isn't strong enough for major D1".....

and then courtside says....."he(KS) is already better than Polk".....

Thru 13 games of the 2006-07 season Polk is shooting FGs at a 41% clip, FTs at a 77% clip, has 38 rebounds, 6 blocks and 13 steals, averaging

7 points per game and has 36 assist and 20 turnovers.

If KS is already better than Polk....why will his first year have "alot of bench time"?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe current ncaa rules prohibit walkons from participating in offseason workouts, trips, staying in athletic apts, etc. i.e. it is my guess that if kramer is worthy, which it appears he is, he wil get a scholarships.

>courtside said....."KS lacks athleticism....."first year on

>bench adjusting to D1 pace, strength and size"......"his

>handle isn't strong enough for major D1".....

>

>and then courtside says....."he(KS) is already better than

>Polk".....

>

>Thru 13 games of the 2006-07 season Polk is shooting FGs at

>a 41% clip, FTs at a 77% clip, has 38 rebounds, 6 blocks and

>13 steals, averaging

>7 points per game and has 36 assist and 20 turnovers.

>

>If KS is already better than Polk....why will his first year

>have "alot of bench time"?

It was sarcasm...but seriously let's break it down...what you didn't point out was that Polk doesn't even average two free throw attempts per game. He hasn't attempted very many two pointers or three pointers, and is hitting an abysmal 29% from three. His assist to turnover ratio has improved steadily, but he again in 3 seasons has not averaged 3 or more asists per game. His asset is quickness but doesn't finish the break the few times he starts one or is a part of one and doesn't create for others. He is at a large size disadvantage against many bigger players and the very good teams can match his quickness.

Where do you see his best contributions to be a starter? Is his defense that exceptional in your opinion? I am assuming and hoping SLU's recruiting will progress and get better....that is the idea isn't it? Perhaps because he is the only quick player on the team, and people get excited by that? Not sure what you see that I don't.

Even if he drastically improves for his senior year, that is one year of being a good solid player, and I thought people wanted more than that?? I posted the poll and people said NCAA's every year. SLU needs to upgrade if that is to happen.

As for KS...obviously he is at a disadvantage athletically, and height-wise. His work ethic, extraordinarily tough demeanor, and shooting ability are his assets. He needs quicker feet.(the biggest difference between recruits at all levels) He can learn ball handling. Not sure if he will attend SLU. We shall see how he does rest of this season and summer. Obviously he will need to work on his handle and develop his passing skills because that is his future at next level. On paper he isn't a major D-I player but I wouldn't count him out. His basketball IQ is high, his shooting exceptional,(from two and three and draws fouls) plays hard all the time and makes good decisions, and he is a winner. Will be interesting to see what happens with him when he stares down much bigger more athletic kids that he isn't facing in STL are high school ball this year.

>courtside is likely distracted today after that huge

>marquette win vs savanaugh state.

Can't take the Roy out of Roy, old timer. Always trying to instigate with others. Enjoy life, it is a wonderful gift.

I am going to watch the Washington game today as well, should I root hard for UCLA?...lol.

>No offense to any of the DeSmet brethren on the board but

>that is a school full of headcases. DeSmet's coach doesn't

>run a real disciplined program, consistently there are 12th

>guys off the bench for DeSmet who think they are Jordan.

>Brandenberg doesn't strike me as a headcase. He simply

>knows he is head and shoulders better than his teammates and

>they have the gall not to defer to him. He has

>inconsistencies in his game but I like his emotion on the

>court, too many guys are just smooth and refuse to play

>intensely. Brandenberg certainly doesn't fall into the mold

>of prima donnas like Ahearn and Keppel that DeSmet usually

>churns out. He has some fire in him though, which Baniak

>never did which caused him to backup a player with half his

>skill most of his college career.

I think you are letting Ahearn, an atypical DeSmet player cloud your judgement. Ahearn is the exception. You completely lost me when you called Keppel a prima donna ...not close to accuracy. He played point guard, out of position because of his unselfishness and led a team to a state title over the V. You are kidding me right? Same prima donna who after signing a pro baseball contract for 7 figures, still attended classes at Notre Dame in the off-seasons.

DeSmet just lacks talent at other positions...talent they had in past decades and at turn of this century. They have simply been down in talent past few years. All the fundamentals in the world won't make Peeples even serviceable, won't make Wessling any fitter, won't make Kroeker any tougher. The next best player is Will Bruin on their team. DeSmet doesn't have any players on their team that think they are Jordan??? Not this year's team. Couldn't disagree more on DeSmet overall.

Baniak played on two Final Four teams in high school, not too many other high schoolers can say that...and it wasn't because he was supremely talented, it was because he was fundamentally sound and a smart player.

While Ahearn would be the one exception I can think of as being more of a me first player...you then discuss fire and effort, of which I don't think anyone can question with his limited athleticism, his fire and effort took him to a state title game in high school and a successful D-I college career against bigger more athletic players.

Other than the past few years when their talent is down and thus fundamentals decrease...DeSmet is always in the mix and by far best program in Missouri next to the V the past several decades because of the effort and fundamentals going up against much more athletic kids from other schools.

Perhaps they should recruit like some other schools? Perhaps they should look at the coach? or perhaps in cyclical fashion that will come back around again.

>jj....where do you get that Coach Soderberg "has an avowed

>preference for big guards". Polk is averaging 30 minutes

>per game and is about 5-8.

>

>I would prefer a 6-4 DPolk like the next guy....but in the

>end you go with the overall talent.

Early on in his tenure, after offering to Clarke (aka "the f'er from Minnesota") and declining on Ahrern, the comment I heard on why was that coach had a preference for taller guards. Think it came from Rammer but can't say now. One can make an exception for Polk given the superior quicknes and overall athleticism. Wish Polk could shoot like Kramer or Kramer had Polk athleticism. We'd have a player.

we have 9 schollys to give in the next year and a half I don't think there is much need to make Kramer go the no scholly route. Similarly, if we really want Eckerle to play here I'm not sure why we would risk losing him by forcing the academic scholarship on him.

>courtside is likely distracted today after that huge

>marquette win vs savanaugh state.

I'm not much of a fan of that type of scheduling for any school, but every school has their handful of non-conference cupcakes, SLU included. There are maybe 5 schools in the country with strong teams from major conferences that have very few of those games, and have tough schedules, and they still have those games. The difference is that SLU has to schedule as tough as possible non-conference because of their conference this year. Most coaches who have a Frosh/Soph dominated team like Marquette are going to have those games early on, especially when the conference play is the Big East. They won a tourney over T Tech and Duke, and lost a close one to Wisconsin as well, but looking at it still could have scheduled a bit tougher. And when their conference rolls around, the RPI top 50 games will be there. Florida is currently barely in top 50 RPI for example. Mizzou, another young team with new players, new coach, building confidence in pre big conference play.

SLU has much improved scheduling, not sure it is improved enough, but it has improved a lot. And they are right where they were expected to be. If they can finish top 2 in conference and not lose early in A10 tourney, they will be in good shape.

I am not sure I understand the joke...but I know he was a me first player who didn't play defense in school etc....I just have to laugh hard out loud at the notion DeSmet recruits...DeSmet and SLUH don't. And that DeSmet somehow wins with superior talent but less on team players who overachieve with hard work and fundamentals...that is exactly how they have done it for 30 years. Wish more area teams did it that way...and some of the more athletic teams could become great teams and not just very athleticly talented teams. There have been some really bad coaches for some very talented players over the years. Couldn't resist the Bobby Keppel comments..who has overcome years of minor league bus rides and shoulder problems to pitch in majors last year. The guy has Kramer Soderberg fire.

I was talking about your reference to DP's defense. Actually, I like BA ... and don't know crap about any of the High Schools. As far as Keppel ... Unless you are incredibly talented, I don't think many people make it to the top level of any sport without a pretty damn good work ethic.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Gotcha. Take Alex Kohnen...big kid, so awkward and out of shape as Frosh, he couldn't catch a ball if you threw it to him, and couldn't run up and down the floor once without oxygen. Kid worked his butt off, went on to star at Navy, one of so many stories..nice 33 ACT btw too.

The point I was making to Torch, was DeSmet over the past several decades have won with overachiving team playing smart fundamentals etc...Not the superstar talented kids...sure a Keppel or Stipo come along once a decade. But so many kids are like the one above.

Now if you go by this year's team, they turn it over a lot because they have ZERO point guards on the roster. Not a one. And really lack strong guard play to consistently knock down 3's so Brandenburg doesn't face 3 collapsing defenders every time he touches it. DeSmet has little else...couple of serviceable post players, a hustling soccer stud who does the little things. It was a post more for him who couldn't be more wrong about the history of DeSmet basketball. Only the V has been more successful in the area.

As for Ahearn, he at least is a great shooter, Polk isn't. And he gets to the line more...still not enough for my taste...and obviously leads country in percentage. He obviously would have helped SLU a lot...something many choose to ignore on the board outside of you and a few others.

At last count, I have seen Griffster on three boards with the same IP address, and three other boards with a differing(but local) IP. I know his postings on Tigerboard, Illiniboard, and ours are legit. Tyler should go where he will get the best education and hoops.

At Illinois, Jackson, Cole, Semrau, the southern Illinois beanpole, and Carwell are all one to two years ahead, so time will be limited for a couple years.

I'm not sure how effective he would be in Anderson's run, run, run scheme at Mizzou. Powell would be the more apt candidate there, and as VTime has posted, Mizzou desperately needs a PG, as they are three years without an upperclass PG in the making. We are only two years short at this point.

>>No offense to any of the DeSmet brethren on the board but

>>that is a school full of headcases. DeSmet's coach doesn't

>>run a real disciplined program, consistently there are 12th

>>guys off the bench for DeSmet who think they are Jordan.

>>Brandenberg doesn't strike me as a headcase. He simply

>>knows he is head and shoulders better than his teammates and

>>they have the gall not to defer to him. He has

>>inconsistencies in his game but I like his emotion on the

>>court, too many guys are just smooth and refuse to play

>>intensely. Brandenberg certainly doesn't fall into the mold

>>of prima donnas like Ahearn and Keppel that DeSmet usually

>>churns out. He has some fire in him though, which Baniak

>>never did which caused him to backup a player with half his

>>skill most of his college career.

>

>

>I think you are letting Ahearn, an atypical DeSmet player

>cloud your judgement. Ahearn is the exception. You

>completely lost me when you called Keppel a prima donna

>...not close to accuracy. He played point guard, out of

>position because of his unselfishness and led a team to a

>state title over the V. You are kidding me right? Same

>prima donna who after signing a pro baseball contract for 7

>figures, still attended classes at Notre Dame in the

>off-seasons.

>

>DeSmet just lacks talent at other positions...talent they

>had in past decades and at turn of this century. They have

>simply been down in talent past few years. All the

>fundamentals in the world won't make Peeples even

>serviceable, won't make Wessling any fitter, won't make

>Kroeker any tougher. The next best player is Will Bruin on

>their team. DeSmet doesn't have any players on their team

>that think they are Jordan??? Not this year's team.

>Couldn't disagree more on DeSmet overall.

>

>Baniak played on two Final Four teams in high school, not

>too many other high schoolers can say that...and it wasn't

>because he was supremely talented, it was because he was

>fundamentally sound and a smart player.

>

>While Ahearn would be the one exception I can think of as

>being more of a me first player...you then discuss fire and

>effort, of which I don't think anyone can question with his

>limited athleticism, his fire and effort took him to a state

>title game in high school and a successful D-I college

>career against bigger more athletic players.

>

>Other than the past few years when their talent is down and

>thus fundamentals decrease...DeSmet is always in the mix and

>by far best program in Missouri next to the V the past

>several decades because of the effort and fundamentals going

>up against much more athletic kids from other schools.

>

>Perhaps they should recruit like some other schools?

>Perhaps they should look at the coach? or perhaps in

>cyclical fashion that will come back around again.

Blake is pretty athletic. If you remember he broke his hand dunking in a game and had to sit out the rest of the season. That was the year they lost to the V by 55 in the title game. He had a good team around him that made it to the title game without him, Midden, Robnett, Ward, and Kalicak. I was surprised they didnt go to state his senior season, especially with Polk limping around for Vashon.

>Also took another look at K Soderberg last night against a

>solid Webster team. Two 3 guard offenses going at it.

>Liked how KS got his points, because Wrickerson made him

>work for every one. He plays smart, extremely accurate from

>deep, off of pump fakes..shoots most of his shots top of

>key...still doesn't go left well, surprised he kept trying

>it late. If you leave him alone, he buries you. He

>deferred to teammates late in game in tight game. Doesn't

>turn it over or try to do too much. He was matched by

>Hanlen for Webster...though they didn't guard each

>other...KS guarded Hanlen, but Hanlen guarded others. KS

>lacks athleticism, and will find it tough going to create

>his own shot off dribble vs bigger more athletic guards.

>His handle isn't strong for major D-1, but that can improve.

> I think there is a place for him on the team, and as he

>gets a little stronger etc...would be a nice 3 year

>contributor, seeing his first year as a lot of bench time

>adjusting to the pace, and strength and size. He is already

>better than Polk...much different players of course. SLU

>would also need a bigger shooting guard and wing that can

>shoot. He knows how to win and competes every possesion,

>etc...best thing he can do is keep improving his ball

>handling. He didn't get to the line much against an equally

>matched Webster group. Hanlen does all of his scoring in

>transition to the basket or free throw line, did nothing in

>the half court. He would be another shoot first point

>guard...but if you can shoot like him and play as smart,

>that is okay...if he can improve some of the other

>areas...can see him being crafty enough at next level to get

>time.

Better than Polk already? Stop! Did you see Dwayne in high school. Lets say he's playing better in high school than Dwayne is playing in college. Dwayne was All-Metro player of the year. A 4-year starter for Vashon, not SCW. Dwayne got his points playing against Lebron James and Luther Head and other very good opponents. Please stop. Kramer could have just as much trouble in college as Dwayne. Luke was a big time scorer and shooter in high school (29ppg) and struggled til this season to get untracked. The same could happen to Kramer. Just remember that Dwayne was a marksman in high school too, not some penetrate and dish guy.

would KS walk on and be a 5 year man red shirt his first year or how do they do that? doesn't the coach's son like many acacemics get a free ride without taking an athletic scholarship from the team? We need a muscular banger like they had from Ole Miss or Carolina not just a 7 footer who can run the floor and mnake free throws; by the time AK gets in shape he is no longer going to be the mountain man he

started the season; I'll bet he has lost 30 pounds, already