What's the story on Suggs

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He currently is nursing his non shooting hand, which he broke about a month ago. He was playing awesome until he broke his hand. He actually played in front of Romar, Weber, Anderson, and BS at the Borgia Tournament with a broken hand.

All indictcations are that Suggs wants to stay close to home. Whether that be SLU, Illinois or Missouri it is a toss up. We definetly have a chance as the race to sign him is still wide open.

He is a silky smooth shooting guard. Seriously, he looks and plays like Josh Childress ( formerly of Stanford, now with Atlanta Hawks). Most times it looks like he is not even trying because he is so smooth. I would say he is around 6'6 (its hard to tell with his fro.) He has clearly improved his outside game,but he needs to work on his ball handling and decision making. I wouldn't say he is an immediate starter, seeing as we would both have TL and KL still, but he is defintely an impact player.

Aside from the obvious fact that he is bigger, how does he compare to Kramer Soderberg (averaging about 27 pts. and 52% from the field) and Paul Eckerle (averaging about the same)? These three seem to be leaders on their teams and excellent players, but Soderberg and Eckerle are about 5 to 7 inches shorter. Both are suppose to be tremendous shooters.

Could make for an interesting recruiting class for 2008.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

Eckerle is a senior and right now should be someone SLU is willing to take a flyer on considering our depth problems.

Eckerle and more so Soderberg are both talented players but Suggs with his size, handles, and athleticism is on a different level. He can probably do everything Tommie (cept maybe rebound and his outside shooting) can do and do it better.

If you rated the 3 based solely on their play right now, I would rate them

1. Eckerle

2. Sodeberg

3. Suggs

On potential Suggs ranks above them all, head and shoulders. Eckerle is a defensive menace who shut down Suggs in their 2 games they played last year. I probably rate Eckerle higher than most, but I defintely think SLU should take a flyer on Paul. Aside from the fact that he is only 6'1 , he works his ass off and he is a high flyer who can score.

Suggs and Eckerle really aren't comparable I don't think. While playing, Eckerle looks like he is a mad man, but definetly knows what he is doing. As I said earlier, Suggs is silky smooth. I think their games are way different, but I woudl love to see them on the same team!

I plan to get to some games to see all three play, but from what you are saying, Eckerle sounds like a prototypical Soderberg recruit - tough on defense, all out play, and from what I hear he is extremely bright. I would love to see us land him. Plus, if I remember the stats correctly, he is shooting about 46% from the three.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

>He currently is nursing his non shooting hand, which he

>broke about a month ago. He was playing awesome until he

>broke his hand. He actually played in front of Romar, Weber,

>Anderson, and BS at the Borgia Tournament with a broken

>hand.

>All indictcations are that Suggs wants to stay close to

>home. Whether that be SLU, Illinois or Missouri it is a toss

>up. We definetly have a chance as the race to sign him is

>still wide open.

>

>He is a silky smooth shooting guard. Seriously, he looks and

>plays like Josh Childress ( formerly of Stanford, now with

>Atlanta Hawks). Most times it looks like he is not even

>trying because he is so smooth. I would say he is around 6'6

>(its hard to tell with his fro.) He has clearly improved his

>outside game,but he needs to work on his ball handling and

>decision making. I wouldn't say he is an immediate starter,

>seeing as we would both have TL and KL still, but he is

>defintely an impact player.

You seriously think a top 100 talent like Suggs isnt an inmmediate starter. He would be a starter RIGHT NOW for SLU. He was offered by Romar over a year ago.

>I plan to get to some games to see all three play, but from

>what you are saying, Eckerle sounds like a prototypical

>Soderberg recruit - tough on defense, all out play, and from

>what I hear he is extremely bright. I would love to see us

>land him. Plus, if I remember the stats correctly, he is

>shooting about 46% from the three.

>

>"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands

>up for others." - Ben

Come out to the Washington Tournament and see both Eckerle and Suggs in action. If I'm not mistaken, it will be Suggs first game back. Come out early for the gym will be packed!

Eckerle is coming off a poor night against St. Charles West and Soderberg. Probably a combination of an off night and the great play of Soderberg.

For those that don't know, Eckerle is Luke Meyer's cousin, number one in his class (or close to it) and the hardest working player on the court every night. He's one of the tallest 6'1" players you'll ever see.

You can come out too Cheese!

Borgia at Washington ( 1-9-07 at 7:30 )

>V, how many times have you see him play?

>

>John Brandeburg is a top 100 recruit and there is no way in

>hell he would start for SLU as a freshman.

Guards are different than big man. You actually have to produce and be a mega producer to be a highly rated guard. A big man can be a project and still be rated high. And suggs is an excellent shooter, so I dont know why somebody earlier thinks Tommie is a better shooter than Suggs. I've seen Suggs play several times each of the last two summers and I also have seen him practice a lot as the Eagles practice at Harris-Stowe.

>V, how many times have you see him play?

>

>John Brandeburg is a top 100 recruit and there is no way in

>hell he would start for SLU as a freshman.

John Brandenburg can start at SLU as a freshman.

He'd probably be SLU's second best option in the post right now — as a 16 year old.

Grunk was at Meramec last night to watch John, as was Mizzou coach Mike Anderson.

- Nate

If SLU hasn't already, I think the Billikens should offer Eckerle a scholarship.

I don't know if they're waiting to get him as a walk on, but I doubt that will happen.

The way Eckerle is playing, he'll have some few options when he makes his decision this spring.

With four scholarships to give now that the greatest athlete of all time has left the program, the Bills should have the flexibility to offer a kid like Eckerle who 1) is a great kid, 2) can help the team at a position of need (backup point guard), 3) is a great student, 4) has ties to the program, 5) is another local product, 6) can stay in school for four years and be a great representative of the program, 7) might actually accept an offer from SLU (unlike recent misses) and 8) can help recruit Nathan Scheer in a couple years.

I could probably list a few more reasons, but I've got some stuff to do.

- Nate

I know how much you like Brandenburg Nate but his scoring is actually down from last year and his field goal percentage is surprisingly low for a player his size who rarely shoots outside of 7 feet. His rebounding has been just OK. Unless he really picks it up in the 2nd half of the year, he may have played himself out of top 100 status.

>Nate, I respect your opinion and I haven't seen him play for

>about 5 months but has he really improved that much? Looking

>at his stats I wasn't all that impressed and based off what

>I saw a couple of months ago I wasn't under the impression

>he would start his freshman year, much less be right behind

>Ian.

You can't judge Brandenburg on his stats, because he doesn't touch the ball very much in the post or in a position where he can score. After watching DeSmet's last two games, I think John has gotten more touches than I've seen in the past, but he still didn't crack 15 points in either game.

Brandenburg will be a much better player in college than he is now. He's got all the skills to be successful at that level and he's still young (I think he's 16) and getting bigger, stronger and better.

When you see him play now, when he posts up strong and doesn't get the ball thrown to him, you wouldn't think he's very good. But I think you have to consider the system as having a big impact on his play.

I said John could be the second best option for SLU right now because the Bills don't have anyone with his combination of size, skills and strength.

- Nate

WRONG!

For someone who is touted as a local hoops guru, Latch's assertion that Brandenburg could step in right now and be IV's backup is ludicrous! A. Knollmeyer goes about 235lbs. and has been working every day against Ian, BH and J.J. for 6+ months! The step-up in strength alone is prohibitve.

I have seen some other comments made by Latch which have made me question his so called expertise, but if he really believes this latest posit, he really has no idea about the difference between H/S and D-1 ball.

Perhaps he should stick to reporting the local H/S games...

>I'd like to see us lock this kid up - sounds like he'd be a

>nice addition to the team.

This is sounding a little like the same song and dance we've become accustomed to. Could Eckerle be another solid local player we pass on for reasons unknown, to go to the Valley, and come back and bite us in the rear? Who knows, but we've got like 10 scholarships to give over the next two years. Now I've never seen him play, but he's filling up the stat sheet rather frequently and many on this board think he'd be a solid player for us. Seems to me if this kid wants to come here it should be a no-brainer.

Scott and John could be immediate starters for SLU. To get a better idea of these guys you need to go watch them play in the summer or you might get lucky and see a good first quarter like John put out last night. These kids are skilled, tough and they have a desire to win. Like I said they would start from day one at SLU!

>Nate-

>

>I have gotten to see Scheer play a couple of times. He plays

>in the middle for a small borgia team he is defintely a wing

>or a guard at the college level. Is he for real? He is

>filling up the stat sheet rather nicely for borgia.

A lot of people consider Nathan Scheer the top freshman in the St. Louis area.

He's definitely playing out of position for Borgia, but he doesn't have much choice. He'll be a wing in college.

- Nate