Shipley, Moosman doing well

VTIME

Shipley is second in scoring at Austin Peay with an average of 11.5 ppg. He's only started 2 games and plays 21 mpg. Moosman is 4th on the team in scoring at Miami OH and is leading the team in assists. He's started the last 9 games all since the injury to Richburg. Richburg is back now, but Moosman appears to have a stranglehold on the starting spot.

Watts plays for Cowley CC in Kansas. They play in the Jayhawk league which is pretty decent competition for D-1 level JUCO play. Their league has schools like Barton CC, Coffeyville, Allen County, Independence, Butler, Colby, Hutchison, who regularly churn out D-1 ball players.

Cowleyville is 6-6. Watts has had an up and down season. He hasn't gotten that much playing time until recently against tougher competition. And surprise surprise after struggling on the perimeter early, Cowleyville has moved Watts back into the post and he thrived for a couple games there before the school went on break. Starting in Jan they have the real meat of their conference schedule. We'll see how much he gets to play and where for the rest of the year but his guard play experiment may be over for good.

He's an unbelievable finisher inside. No one can really explain how he does it or opposing coaches would be able to stop it. I think if he had stayed with the Eagles after his freshman season or stayed with Gateway after his sophomore season, he would've gone division 1. Reminds me of former Indiana star AJ Moye or former MU star, Albert White. Guys that were 6'4 or smaller that just got the job done. He just gets buckets. If Luke can get off in this system and the A10, so can Sanijay. Luke didnt get embarrassed against an All-NBA frontline of UNC, so I think Sanijay can definitely compete as a combo forward for SLU.

Hell ... we have our own examples and two of the best SLU PF's of the last 15 years. Donnie Dobbs and Jeff Harris. It's not always about size, sometimes heart means more.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I have oly seen him play once ... what it means is I wouldn't close the door on people to play the 4 ... purely based upon height. Is it a huge factor ... yes, but for the right individual, it can be done. Whether Watts is a guy that can do it ... I have no clue

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

> I think if he had stayed with the Eagles after his

>freshman season or stayed with Gateway after his sophomore

>season, he would've gone division 1.

Were the St. Louis Eagles' or Gateway Basketball Club's people going to pass Watts' tests and classes for him?

There were probably Division I schools that wanted him anyway, without playing for one of the big clubs, but the kid didn't have the grades.

He was a good player for several years at Jennings, so if he wanted to play Division I college basketball he should have worked harder on his grades. That's the bottom line with this kid.

Starting a thread every few months about whether or not SLU should offer him a scholarship is worthless unless the kid is going to do what he needs to do off the court.

- Nate

... if he wants to come home, is he taking classes in a major that will transfer to the home school? I'm not saying PE as is mentioned in another thread, but something more than that? Also, what are the grades? Is he fulfilling the requirements as prescribed by NCAA under JUCO transfer rules or is he just scraping by with medicore grades in mediocre classes? Who am I to judge what's mediocre but ignoring that, what about "good" classes put together with thoughts and ideas directed at teh future beyond Cowley and beyond basketball? Y'know .. the And1 tour doesn't take everybody either.

>> I think if he had stayed with the Eagles after his

>>freshman season or stayed with Gateway after his sophomore

>>season, he would've gone division 1.

>

>Were the St. Louis Eagles' or Gateway Basketball Club's

>people going to pass Watts' tests and classes for him?

>

>There were probably Division I schools that wanted him

>anyway, without playing for one of the big clubs, but the

>kid didn't have the grades.

>

>He was a good player for several years at Jennings, so if he

>wanted to play Division I college basketball he should have

>worked harder on his grades. That's the bottom line with

>this kid.

>

>Starting a thread every few months about whether or not SLU

>should offer him a scholarship is worthless unless the kid

>is going to do what he needs to do off the court.

>

>- Nate

This thread was not started about him and I am not the one who brought him up. However he was Co-Player of the Year in the area in 2006, so ofcourse he is going to come up in the conversation as a possible JUCO transfer. The Gateway and Eagles points were brought up because most of the guys that go division 1 in this area play for those 2 teams. They offer great exposure, and I'm saying that if Sanijay would've stayed with either one of those clubs, he probably would've gotten more offers. It was not a knock on any AAU club or anything, more of a testament to kids bouncing around. I hope his grades are in order this time next year. He does the one thing SLU struggles to do at times, convert baskets, and he's used to doing it with 3 or 4 guys hanging all over him.

vtime, i assume watts has been taking classes that will fit into an existing slu major? if not, there is no way he is coming this way. the first thing that has to be considered with a juco player for slu is academics and what makes up that academic transcript.

Of course he would have had more options if he played with the bigger name AAU programs, because he'd show what he could do against decent competition.

The problem was his grades. The problem was his grades. The problem was his grades.

You have to be able to qualify academically to play Division I basketball. He wasn't able to do that.

I hope he gets the academics in order to play D-1 hoops somewhere. He seems like a good kid and he can play somewhere. But he has to do what it takes (off the court) to get to that level and he hasn't shown the ability to do that.

- Nate

Yes, no one is denying that the problem was grades. I wish he would've went to prep school like Tommie. He actually came out publicly and said he was planning on going to MU after JUCO though. That could change, let me get back to Rammer and Earl for the official stats on the game right now. We can dwell on this later.