Funny reason we need a true rival

BLIKNS

Was looking at the A-10 board and ran across this gem...

How many Dayton fans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Doesn`t matter because Dayton doesn`t have electricity.

Of course you can change the names very easily,so this isn`t a slam at Dayton,but was just the team used for this joke.

I remember looking at either a Clemson or South Carolina board and man they go at each other something fierce.

1. SIU

2. SMS(as long as i dont have to hear about "How they really won"

3. Gonzaga(now that Romar won't play them why dont we jump in)

"I was on fire, I was hotter than a pistol" Jason McElwaine

If theres no SLU basketball in heaven I'm not going!!!!!!

Official Billikens.com Sponsor of Chris Sloan and Billiken Volleyball

and Official Billiken.com Online Video Guy

In order for a team to be your true rival, they really have to be in your conf. so you can be assured of playing them twice a year normally - home and home. SMS, SIU are only on our schedule because Brad chooses to have them - In a couple of years, he might consider playing them is not in our best interest where as a conf team as a rival is in place regardless unless the conf folds or teams leave the conf. Subsequently, look to Dayton or Xaiver - they will grow into our rivals over time.

Let's be honest here: Why would we want a rivalry with Dayton? Take a look at what Saint Louis has in common with X, FU and SJU...our Jesuit heritage makes us perfect rivals. Marquette never acknowledged SLU as a rival because they knew SLU was kicking its ass in the U.S. News rankings, and because they were happy with knowing Chris Farley was an alum. I hate Marquette and always will because DeeWayne Wade is the only reason they are in the Big East.

Let's run the table on our brother Jesuit schools.

we need bigger crowds and there are a whole lot of ticket buyers who just do not get it when you play teachers' colleges that now call themselves universities; let's face it Milwaukee people think it is a treat to come to another beer town even if they don't like our fight song they at least know the words.

De Paul used to be good when Joey Meyers's dad sat on the bench; we like to beat Chicago which is a bear of a town economically

X always kicked Huggins butt and you have to admire that-rumour has it that our hero of the average man plays the majors-John Mabrry, may have to play in Cincy this year because the Cards would not pony up for a major league contract for a class guy like John when he was forced to play for Chicago and filled in quite well but not rewarded for the effort-what does a guy have to do?

Although not our equals academically, they are certainly better than crawling on the bottom with Memphis, Cincy, Louisville, and South Florida which is the Carbondale of Florida colleges-a campus that did not exist 30 years, ago.

One way to build rivalries is to have two winning teams year in and year out in a conference. SLU and Xavier had a thing going when Gillen was there because both teams were competitive and in conference together. Marquette developed one with Louisville and Cincy based on good games and good fans support etc...I asked a guy about the Wisconsin/Marquette game before the game...and he said of course it is a huge rivalry but said people were just as excited for Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh? And response was yeah had some great, nasty physical games with them last year and the fans got into it etc on both ends...and it is becoming a hot thing....so if you get schools who win and play schools who win(every school wanted a rivalry with Cincy and Louisville for a while in the old conference because they won)....you can develop rivalries. Problem for now is that the A10 is not strong right now...give it a chance...and it won't matter if their ideology is the same or how far away the schools are from each other. That stuff won't matter as much. People get too wrapped up in that sometimes.There are other ways to build rivalries other than geogrpahy and same ideology.

And DePaul? beat KU and beat Cal by 30...and have a top 20 recruiting class for next year under Wainright.