DB disappointing

slu72

last night. Some TO's, ugly shooting, out of control, not much on D. I hope he gets to play significant minutes against TM and they give KL a rest and more time to heal his elbow. DB has a knack for getting points on lesser opponents, and we need his confidence restored. I still think he's the 2nd or 3rd best shooter on the team. Although, TL is really starting to impress. This may be way off the chart, but I think he tries so hard to impress in games...he shoots himself right in the foot because he's pressing rather than playing.

I've been disappointed in DB's play as well - he has the potential to be a real contributor but frequently seems unfocused/lackadaisical on the court. I'm not asking him to play every game like he did against GW last year, but if he could just play with consistency, we'd be a lot better off. We need improved production from our bench.

For those who have been to practice, how is DM looking these days? Is he even close to earning some playing time?

Danny is a shooter and that's about it. IF he's not shooting and his confidence is a problem, then he's not going to be able to contribute as much as we'd like. However, I'd bet we still see a few games where he comes in and puts in 15-20 and hits 5 threes. Hopefully that'll be during the M. State or UNC game

With a game Saturday night and a critical game on Monday night we need to get out to a big lead on Saturday and Brad needs to trust our bench and give the regulars a rest in the 2nd half. We really need to be fresh and at our best come Monday.

I brought home with me last night shows UOP's bench scored 18 pts. they played 10 guys. We scored 2 bench points. It was very memorable. After DB threw up an air ball that missed by a foot from the far corner, they left him open in the near corner, right in front of our bench. He launched another 3 attempt and hit the side of the backboard this time. He went around his man, got the rebound and laid it in.

I thought it was a clever play to pass it to himself for a closer shot.

Our 3 subs only played 39 minutes. TL played 36, KL - 34, IV -32, DP - 30, and LM - 29 minutes. They really sucked it up and defended in the seecond half UOP shot 58.6% in the first half and only 20% in the second.

Congradulations to those brave fans that bet on the Billikens!

slu72, i think the fact we use a short bench has more to do with coach soderberg just prefers to use 8 players only than the rest of the roster cant contribute.

Roy, you've seen the team more than me, who else do you think would contribute? BH? I'm guessing OI, HD and DM aren't ready to contribute. If they were, they fill immediate needs (PF and Outside shooting during dry spells) and one would have to think UB wouldn't be holding them back.

i think had the fresh pf's been given pt all along they would be able to give us quality minutes for 5-10 minutes. if they are that inept, then Dixon should have been redshirted. i suspect there are other issues with obi. not being on the bench at carbondale is concerning and no one has said he was ill.

same for maguire. regardless of what we have seen of Dustin, he can shoot. and imo his defense was much better than what i expected. he isnt lisch, but he could have provided some moments. when lisch was hurting vs western last weekend, i really think dustin should have gotten minutes.

i am not a bryce fan, but even husak can come in and provide 3-4 minutes a half of post defense. he plays hard and has a surprising soft shot. he just is physically weak. that doesnt mean he cant provide 3-4 minutes per game of time.

Agreed and thanks for the explanations. My only real complaint with UB has been his inflexibility. I think we are seeing signs of him becoming for flexible in his overall approach and his in-game approach, but the lack of using the bench is evidence that he still has a way to go.

i go back and forth on his 8 man rotation insistance. it is always hard to sit even a tired tommie liddell, kevin lisch and ian vouyoukas. however, i would rather do that now than be forced to do it at a later game due to injury or foul trouble.

every coach has something that drives a fandom crazy. but it's their team and they have to live and die with their decisions.