Saluki updates/scouting

DoctorB

Can some knowledgeble list-folk give some thoughts on this year's Saluki squad? Has anyone seen them up close and personal? who are the studs, who is injured, how do they play, strengths/weaknesses?

I am going down for the game and know very little about the, although I did go to our win against them last year. that was one ugly game, made slightly less ugly by the fact that we came out on top.

thanks!

we dont have a chance. falker, tatum and shaw are huge misses that should have been billikens and are better than any one on our roster.

SIU has a game Wed. night at La Tech.

They are coming off a good tourney in Orlando, where they knocked off a decent Va Tech team and a lousy Minn. team.

Shaw is starting to be more assertive on the offensive end, taking and making his perimeter shots.

Not guaranteeing an SIU win, but they will be ready for some redemption after last years ugly loss.

Starters are:

Tatum

Mullins

Young

Falker

Shaw

Reserve guys:

Clemmons

Boyle

Green

(sometimes)Foster

I watched them twice on tv and would offer the following:

The Salukis look a lot like some of the past Brad teams in that they play hard nosed man on man defense. They play very hard and at home they have had great success over the years. On offense, the bulk of the scoring is done by Tatum, Shaw and Young.

Mullins is the glue guy and he looks a lot like Kevin on the defensive end. He is a hard nosed in your face guy with excellent fundamentals. The ball handling is a little iffy with Young but Mullins is their most consistant ball handler. Tatum is a very quick scoring guard who will most likely be guarded by Polk as he was last year. I assume that Kevin will guard Mullins and Tommy will guard Young.

Inside, Shaw and Falker are somewhat undersized but they make up for it with toughness and hustle. The wild card in this game is Ian. If the refs call the game fairly, which I seriously doubt, Ian should get their front line in foul trouble because they are very agressive and physical and they will not be able to handle Ian in single coverage. I would not expect to see much of Bryce because they are not very tall. JJ will probably see time at the 4 and the 5 subbing for Luke and Ian.

They have two good guys that come off the bench in Clemmons and Boyle. Clemmons is a guard who is tough and athletic and can shoot the 3 ball and Boyle is a big rugged forward who can mix it up and shoot a little.

I actually see a lot of our team in SIU so the teams are evenly matched. Knowing that we will get no calls on the road that makes this a tough game to win. If Ian can force them into foul trouble that should open up some of our shooters because they will be using guards to double team. I would not expect a high scoring game but I would think that if we can run a little that Tommie might have a nice game. Go Bills!

i just assume hardball and his band of merry naysayers will come running to this thread. so i figured i might as well save all a lot of time.

thanks for some helpful tips. they sound formidable but I was underwhelmed by them last year.

I sometimes think bad reffing on the road is overplayed, but then again there were several bad games last year where the refs were clearly not calling it right. I am thinking of the Richmond game, and a few others.

What is the stadium/crowd like? Is this a really noisy and tough place to play?? are the fans rabid?

>

>What is the stadium/crowd like? Is this a really noisy and

>tough place to play?? are the fans rabid?

67-3 at home over the past 5 or so years. Two bad losses last year to Indiana St. and Louisiana Tech in the BracketBuster. A loss to Charlotte during the Matt Painter regime.

A full house is just under 10,000 in the building. It can get pretty noisy in there.

>we dont have a chance. falker, tatum and shaw are huge

>misses that should have been billikens and are better than

>any one on our roster.

Should have been Billikens.

Hmmmm.

Why?

So they could have gone to tne NIT last year, instead of NCAA last 5 years?

I am baffled.

PS- your board even looks like crap. See salukitalk.net

Doc,

I think you'll find that about 75% of the crowd there literally just got off their John Deeres moments before the game. The rest of the crowd is comprised mostly of fat hicks wearing "Dawg Pound" shirts and old ladies with bouffant hairdos.

Do me a favor and pick me up some carbon while you're there. I hear they have the best carbon available anywhere.

>I'd point out that your were our ho' last year but I don't

>want to lower the level of discourse any further. Oh

>well.......

OK, you beat us last year. I don't normally talk smack on here as I am a fan of both schools however, 1 DUI does not make the team a bunch of criminals that is why I responded the way I did. If you review the limited number of posts I have made here you would see I am normally quite tame.

The fact is Tatum screwed up, he wouldn't deny that. He is however a first team all MVC Scholar Athlete who is the son of a college professor and the supervisor of the Jefferson City public schools. Not the criminal you make him out to be.

If we want to start making assumptions about people I could probably come up with a few about Polk and his attending Vashon or I could say something about Liddell and being from East St. Louis. I won't because I like SLU and know that these 2 are better than that.

I am driving down from STL for the game and hope it is a really great game between 2 good teams but I am hoping for an SIU win. Only game of the year I will root against my former school.

polk and liddell were arrested when? polk and liddell were suspended from the team when?

dont even go to comparing character of tatum to any of our current players.

last, considering your response on the subject we can pretty much see your moral priorities. just win baby. you got your huggins kstate shirt yet?