Recruiting

AJ

Within the last week, I am still hearing "street talk" that Leon Powell is interested in SLU. In a year when there are no high-profile D1 recruits in the St. Louis area, Powell would be a nice fall signee for us. Our late signings this summer may reduce the urgency for a 4, but Powell has the potential to play the wing as well.

On a related note, its interesting that one of Brad's latest recruiting "flops" (Obi) may be flopping his way into the starting lineup soon. If this happens he will join a lineup that includes at least 2 - and possibly 3 - NBA prospects who are also part of Brad's flawed recruiting efforts.

aj, with powell's athleticism and size, i think he is a worthy pick for the second scholarship that slu has to offer. however, i still believe that first scholarship is going to go to an impact juco. alexander is likely the man that coach soderberg is holding out for.

Today on KFNS - Rammer said that Brad has two offers out and he does not know if they will be accepted - time will tell he says. Now if that is true - no reason to doubt - Alexander is one offer and Powell must not be the other. If he was then we would have a committment I would think.

We have 3 schollys to give but why worry if a player is getting the #2 or #1 scholly, as if there was even such a thing?

Its like pitchers in baseball, expect for the start of the season and the playoffs it doesn't matter if you are the ace or the 5th pitcher, you are still going to pitch every 5th game and all wins are counted the same.

I would love to sign Powell. If we sign him and Alexander I will take back all the negative things I've said about this recruiting class.

kshoe, technically we only have 2 scholarships. no where have i heard from slu that wendell bennett's scholarship will be taken back next year.

"no where have i heard from slu that wendell bennett's scholarship will be taken back next year."

Well, it should be. I'm all for giving walk ons a scholly if it's left over. But we should NEVER hold a scholly for a walk on just to be nice. If he is never going to see the floor, he doesn't get a scholarship.

And no where have we have heard from SLU that it wouldn't be taken back. The only reason Wendall was given a scholly this year is because we didn't fill the 13th this season. I would hope when Brad made the offer to Wendell he explained that if he needed it next year the scholarship would be revoked.

Now i understand we likely won't use all three, hell we can barely get 1 used, given the surplus of local highschool talent in the next few years but don't think for a second that if a big-time transfer or whatever became availalbe SLU wouldn't revoke the scholly. As long as it was explained to Wendall as such, then I have absolutely no problem with that. In fact, i would have a bigger problem if a walk-on was given a guaranteed 2-year scholly for virtually no on-court performance.

Kshoe - you misunderstood my post. I was not saying anything about order of offers. What I was saying was that if Alexander is one of the offers then Powell must not be the other offer on the table. If he was given all the talk about how he wants to come to SLU then you would have thought he would have accepted it. Giving a walk on a schollie other than for his senior year is rather rare. So I would hope Brad told Wendell, hey I got one left for this year and probably won't for next year so let me give it to you this year and you can use the money you were going to use for this year to go to school and save it for your senior year. It also seems to me that Brad talked about saving the third schollie for next year's h.s. recruiting class so that would mean Wendell was only given it for this year.

it may have been. we dont know. frankly i dont remember a walkon ever getting that free ride as a junior before. i wouldnt have done it but i am not the coach or athletic director. i think it sets up tough feelings regardless.

but we dont know what slu worked out with bennett. and currently we only know that johnson and vouyoukas end their collegiate eligibility. that was my point.

I wasn't responding to you but to Roy.

But, I don't understand this post and why you believe Powell and Alexander can't be offered at the same time. Rammer just said there are two offers out there so why can't those be the offers?

Also, if Brad intends to save the third scholly till next year (has there ever been a year under Brad that we don't save a scholly) then that would indicate its Wendalls this year and next. As i pointed out to Roy though, i would hope that if the right player came along Brad would tell Wendall tough luck. the loaded crop of juniors won't use that scholly till Wendall is gone.

Kshoe - my post never said Brad could not offer Alexander and Powell at the same time. What I said was that Rammer said we had two offers on the table and he was not sure if both or any of them would be accepted. I then said, if one of the offers was to Alexander then the other probably was not to Powell but to someone else. I based that on all the talk that Powell really wanted to come to SLU therefore, if he was the other offer then why had he not accepted. The only logical conclusion would be that Powell is not the other offer on the table. I do see your point about Wendell and a second year of the schollie - I would hope Brad has not given up on finding a player to fill it next year though.

Perhaps Powell does have an offer on the table....perhaps the kid wants to sign....perhaps a parent's signature is missing....perhaps someone else.....

I think some posters have to give Coach Soderberg at least an once of common sense in dealing with a scholarship to a walk-on. Perhaps Wendell's scholarship is only for the first semester (still a great financial savings for his parents, perhaps a transfer will pick up that scholarship in January.....perhaps...

None of that could be even remotely possible because it might mean that all of this unrelenting negative gossip may be wrong and our coaching staff may actually be trying hard to recruit! Sorry for the sarcasm but I am really fed up with the "if we don't have a verbal then we are terrible" crowd!

"I then said, if one of the offers was to Alexander then the other probably was not to Powell but to someone else. I based that on all the talk that Powell really wanted to come to SLU therefore, if he was the other offer then why had he not accepted. The only logical conclusion would be that Powell is not the other offer on the table."

I guess I am totally missing your logic. What does Alexander having an offer have to do with Powell having an offer? Maybe you are at the conclusion that Powell doesn't have an offer at all (I don't believe that to be true despite the ramblings of V-Time) but I don't see the leap that Alexander and Powell are somehow related.

kshoe i said we dont know what the deal is. you again have lied about what i said. we know he is a junior and he has a scholarship right now. no where has it been said it is only for a year, or a semester or for both years. we dont know.

"i think it sets up tough feelings regardless"

Do you think the feelings would be tougher if:

1) you left a scholarship completely unused and he was forced to pay $30k in tuition, or

2) you told him he was going to get a $30k gift this year but there is no guarantee that it would be available in the following year.

I know which I would prefer if I was Wendel.

Roy, I know for a fact from some past personal experience that any walk on deal is from semester to semester and the walk on is fully aware that if a scholarship--non walk on type-- player comes along then they will get the scholarship. Even one semester's tuition can be a very nice reward for a young man.

In response to several earlier posts that reference Powell "really wants to come to SLU" no place in my original post did I say that. My only information is that Powell is still expressing an interest in SLU, period. That would not foreclose the possibility that he is also looking at other schools, like Bradley, for example. He also may be waiting for the spring signing period to see how his senior year goes, how SLU does, etc.

>Today on KFNS - Rammer said that Brad has two offers out and

>he does not know if they will be accepted - time will tell

>he says. Now if that is true - no reason to doubt -

>Alexander is one offer and Powell must not be the other. If

>he was then we would have a committment I would think.

Powell must have an offer from SLU, its been confirmed by many on this board and they couldnt be all be wrong. Could they. Truth be told, I have no idea if Brad offered. The only offer I know for sure if Bradley. The only visits that have been confirmed are Mizzou and Western Illinois, and ofcourse we knows he's been a fixture at Simon Rec. Think about it. He can scrimmage anytime at Vashon, why play at Simon Rec? I think its obvious he wants to play for SLU, he either doesnt have an offer, or there is another hitch. It could be something like Woodland wanting to commit to Mizzou, but his mother held him back for about a month and a half before letting him make his decision. I'm pretty sure its not grades, but if it was, all Brad has to do is make the offer conditional. With Floyd out, and Bonner in, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.