Practice

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

Several spectators at practice today; I'd like one of them to post - it's always good to get multiple perspectives. Brad worked on breaking the press today - none of the discussion was on one guy blowing by another; he expects them to do it with passing. It's looking clear to me that Polk will have the point when Tommy is out, but Tommy will have it otherwise, and get most of the minutes. This might be JJ's year; he has so much experience over the other 4s and he's working hard and getting compliments from Brad. Looks to me like the best part of Obie's game is in the paint, but he sure likes to roam the perimeter. When they do the last man standing rebounding drills, he looks pretty good, and can finish underneath more than you would expect. Dustin is looking better every day; doesn't quite have the long range of DD, but sure gets his shot off quick, and doesn't hesitate. Whatever you guys thought about Baniak, AK is his peer as a freshman. Tommie's shot continues to amaze me; I've never seen this level of improvement over a summer. His 3's are about 2/3, whether in a drill or scrimmage. Nobody can keep that up, but that's what I've been seeing since August.

if you watched since August pickups, would you care to comment on who has put on weight? Who is faster and gotten in better shape? And if any of the new comers are ball hungry. I thought Baniak stopped improving because he wasn't quite mean enough and it looked like AK might be scrappier even if a raw freshman. But total I have only seen a couple of hours of scrimmage.

Final question are they noww practising same time each day and if so is it still like 3:45?

Lol,

Any news on the offensive scheme?

Work on the offense (breaking the press is part of that...)

I sure hope UB is changing the offense from the sad stagnation that was last year's offense. He's finally got some talent to work with so he should be able to open up the offense this year; how about a pick or backdoor screen every once in a while instead of the usual drive and kick out (:yawn:)?

I love the defense scheme and I really like UB but there is no execuse to have the same offensive woes as last year (remember St.Joe's x2?)

Baniak didn't take basketball seriously until it was too late; he was premed, I think, and spent his spare time hitting the books. As you know, when it was time to graduate, he couldn't give up hoops and is now in Europe playing for pay. This week, practice is 2:30 - 5 every day. If you decide to go, you can confirm with the basketball office at 977-3170. JJ looks like he's in tip top condition, as do all the guys back from last year...except for Obi, who could lose lbs still. The 3 freshman will be a lot more next year after a season of practice and hitting the weights. I think we'll all look back at this class fondly.

Offensively, Brad's sticking with the motion offense, but he's working on concepts within that. The defense has to react to the motion and, invariably, somebody gets open. Kevin and Tommie are so much more than last year. We will score more this year. Even if they raise the free pasta to 70 again, I think we'll eat more of it.

one nice thing about SLU practices is that it becomes crystal clear who the top players are--because the first team wears the blue jerseys, and tends to work drills together.

so everyone can stop trying to guess who is slated for the most minutes right now, at least to begin the season--it would appear that at least initially the starters will be among those top 6 players wearing blue:

IV, KL, TL, LM, JJ, and DB.

everyone else is wearing white--for now. And as I predicted way back when, JJ is obviously the guy at the 4--for now.

btw, drills have a funny way of separating the new guys from the veterans--especially defensive drills, screens, etc.

There is a reason the younger guys do poorer at some of the drills...(tah-dah)they haven't done them before. I think the drills are overrated in evaluation at the begining of the year and that with familairity the players will obvously pick it up. I imagine Lisch wasn't too hot at first but he should have been starting from the get-go anyway.

Some of the 'blue' jersey players (DB,JJ,LM possibly) may be losing some of thier playing time come conference season.

BTW-Thanks for the update and phone # on the Practice Schedule!

I agree and the evaluation will begin even earlier with the three games on the road at Texas A and M. The early schedule is pretty brutal with Texas A and M, Loyola, SIUC, and Pacific on the road. Virtually every publications has each of those teams highly rated and predicted to go to the big dance. If you add in Miss. ,Mo State and NC at home this is a tough schedule that will help us or kill our win loss record. This is definitely not "cupcake city"!

I read that Pacific will not be as strong this year as in years past and that this is the year for Long Beach State to take the conference. We have a very tough schedule and a decent amount of those what I would call 50/50 games are on the road going to Pacific, Houston, Southern Illinois, and Loyola. I would call Missouri State, Houston, and Mississippi the 50/50 games we have at home (Ole Miss may be near the bottom of their conference, but they are still a SEC team). I would count the UNC and Texas A&M games as games we have little chance of winning (not saying we can't pull the upset). We may be catching A&M at a good time since I hear they have a number of new kids they will be bringing into the mix and they may have some chemistry issues early on, but they are a Sweet 16 level team without a doubt. What a tough schedule, it is going to be fun to watch.