Question for Brian B (DOBO)

billikenmetz

Does Coach Soderberg have a little place under his desk (ala' George Costanza) where he can hide and cry like a baby when he loses the number of recruits that he did this week?

How can we continue to stand behind a coach who settles for 0-star recruits? The big-time recruits can't be persuaded to SLU and we all know why. It's not about the lack of NCAA Tournament appearances. It's not about the facilities. It's about a coach who can't sell himself and the system and the method of which he coaches and the successful young men he wants to have graduate from Saint Louis University. Kids for some reason don't want to hear that, and we can't blame Brad for that. But we can blame him for folding when Huggy comes to call.

Billikenmetz, Brad does not have anywhere in his office to cry after losing a recruit. I suggest you give the guy a chance, you will not find a harder working coach. Be patient, he has the ball rolling and it just needs to build some more momentum before we should expect SLU to bring in blue chippers. Give the man a chance and I promise you this will be a good year to be a Billiken basketball fan.

>Billikenmetz, Brad does not have anywhere in his office to

>cry after losing a recruit. I suggest you give the guy a

>chance, you will not find a harder working coach. Be

>patient, he has the ball rolling and it just needs to build

>some more momentum before we should expect SLU to bring in

>blue chippers. Give the man a chance and I promise you this

>will be a good year to be a Billiken basketball fan.

I disagree, you will find a harder working coach and lots of them, just look down the road at Mizzou and the other way at Carbondale. But Brad does work hard very hard but there are others who work harder than him.

>I disagree, you will find a harder working coach and lots of

>them, just look down the road at Mizzou and the other way at

>Carbondale. But Brad does work hard very hard but there are

>others who work harder than him.

You know this how? I thought you were a SLU insider, but you also get a first person view of such varied programs as SIU and Mizzou. Wow you really get around. Frankly Coach Anderson better work harder cuz his program is in a shambles. Very similar to when Brad took over here, we'll see if Coach Anderson can get an NIT berth his first year as coach.

>

Frankly Coach

>Anderson better work harder cuz his program is in a

>shambles. Very similar to when Brad took over here, we'll

>see if Coach Anderson can get an NIT berth his first year as

>coach.

Shambles? You mean a program that was in the position to produce Soderberg's only post-season berths? A program which lost it's coach to a bigger program and promoted from in-house? Not even close to what Mizzou has dealt with.

B-law, if you believe all of the scouting scources for HS players this Mizzou is for more talented than the Bills team was in Brad's first year. Those players you keep on complaining about Brad not getting. But those facts wouldn't allow you to rip Brad one more time.

The team Brad began with was not in shambles right away due to the fact that no players graduated from the year before and the core of the team remained other than Edwin. We did lose Pulley, Seifert, Edwin, and the two recruits, but the core was still in place with Marque, Brown, Fisher, and Sloan to go along with role players like Diener, Braun, and Varner. That was a veteran dominated team and it allowed for Sodie to have some success in his first two seasons. The shambles was seen once those upperclassmen moved on. The down year in Brad's third and fourth seasons (last year could have been almost as bad if we were still in the old C-USA) could be anticipated. He had to basically try to fill out a roster when he took over due to the loss of the two most recent recruiting classes and Jason Edwin. Filling those holes with quality players and guys you would have targeted from day 1 was impossible and the staff had to work like crazy to try to find some hidden gems. Now he has finally had a chance to stabilize the program and bring in some of his own guys. I am not saying he is lighting the country on fire, but Soderberg deserves at least this year to prove himself before everyone should jump all over him. Also, I would really like to see an end to the term Kool-Aid drinkers being used for anyone who supports this team and staff and isn't screaming for Brad's head. We are rated as the #3 team in conference and have three players who will compete for all-league honors, lets wait and see how this season turns out.

No that team was a wreck. I'd trade that team's roster for Mizzou's any time. We lost a ton of players. We had Marque back, that was it. Soderberg made that team. Fischer became a consistent performer instead of TO inducing point guard. Brown was a very good player his senior year, junior year he rarely even had flashes of his defensive dominance to come.braun, Varner, and Diener???? You must be kidding. Sodes used them well but they were still scrubs

Oh yeah ur an AAU coach/hanger on.

So you talk to them on the phone or when they are permitted to watch your team, that gives you an indication of how hard they work????? Hardly. Maybe it gives an indication as too how much they will suck up to an AAU player broker like yourself. I have a feeling the hardest working coach in your eyes will be the one who gets you some shoe deals thrown your way or gives you a job on his staff. You may have some knowledge of the players you coach (or you may not, more than a few AAU coaches wouldn't know BBall from a hole in their head) but you are hardly in a position to judge which coaches work harder than others.

I respectfully disagree. Those guys were at least a team and played their tails off. You cannot underestimate the impact of having experienced upperclassmen. Marque, Kenny, Fish, and Sloan refused to lose and it showed when they took it to C-USA that year. Mizzou is a bunch of individuals who were highly regarded in high school but have not shown anything at MU. With Quinn as the coach they were out there playing pick-up style basketball with no defense and no real offense other than Jimmy you take it to the rack and throw up some ###### this time down the court and Gardner you throw up a contested NBA 3 next time down the court. Mizzou probably has higher rated players than any SLU has seen in awhile, but I would have much rather of had the team of juniors and seniors Brad came in on who were at least willing to listen and give you effort. The kids at Mizzou are so soft and it will be interesting to see how they do under the new system.

you nailed it, Cajun. The team had 4 starters back which provided an excellent core. Marque was one of the best college guards I've seen, his crossover was deadly and when it was time, he put the team on his back and willed them to victory. L-ville, Tulane, @DePaul, @ Cincy, all victories because Marque was willing to point to his shoulders and say "climb aboard, guys, I've got this one." Brown was an excellent post-defender, best in CUSA, who like most JUCOs, needed that first year to adjust to the speed and style of the D-1 game, Fish was drastically improved as he had finally gained more experience at guard and was a lock-down defender (he had never played guard until college), Sloan brought some athleticism and versitility, as well as excellent defense, Braun provided some brawn and size, as well as the ability to step outside (remember he hit the big 3 at the half against L-ville), Diener brought long-range shooting ability.

The revisionist historians on this board seem bent on tearing down the abilities of those kids, but the fact is that was a very good team, as proven by the win streak at the end of the season, a feat yet to be duplicated here. No way was that team in "shambles." Baylor when Drew took over, that was shambles. Duquense, that's shambles. Minnesota when Monson took over, DePaul in Kennedy's final year, Mizzou when Quin was canned, that was "shambles." The Bills had a solid core of experienced and talented veterans to build around and promoted a coach from in-house (along with 1 assistant), making the transition much smoother than bringing in a completely new staff.

You are right that particular team wouldn't be considered "in shambles" what was in shambles was the prospects for the next few years due to the recruits and young players leaving on short notice. I'm not going to name them ... we all know who they are and who left.

Law ... don't pretend you are a SLU fan, some of us who have been around awhile remember when you caught trashing SLU on another board. I don't remember which one probably Marquette's. We also remember you basically admitting it.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman