Intresting read on the ramifications of the ncaa crack

brianstl

Actually, I think if the Prep School system is broken apart then it might actually hurt a SLU. The new qualifying rules for coming from a JUCO - core classes - makes it hard for a SLU. I really do not think the Prep System is all that bad - I know there might be some diploma mills but truthfully, you have no assurances that a high school is not giving a gift diploma either so what is the difference? Let both systems alone and better police both the JUCOs and Prep Schools to make sure kids are really improving academically.

I honestly don't think this will hurt or help SLU, or most other schools for that matter. The so-called "diploma mills" aren't schools like Hargrave or some of the other prep schools in the East that will help a kid qualify after a fifth year before college. The prep school system won't be broken apart. Myles Brand wants to crack down the true diploma mills that really don't make kids do much of anything academically, but cook up a nice diploma when they need it. A lot of them are start-up "Christian Academies" with no real academic accredidation. Here's another article about it that names a few names:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6060201579.html

The real prep schools will be fine, and more academically-challenged athletes will be heading to JUCOs instead. Brand and his NCAA crew just need to make sure that the JUCOs stay clean, if he has any jurisdiction over that. We don't want another Barton County.

cheeseman, isnt that why they also require the ACT/SAT to be taken to obtain a college athletic scholarship to insure that a high school or prep school is not just giving away a diploma?

I think it says that diplomas are good for those entering college in the Fall of '06, so Horace Dixon is cleared to play at SLU. The schools under revue will not be able to give valid diplomas for this coming "senior" class if the NCAA finds against them.

I wouldn't think they could nail them after admission- that would be an ex post facto ruling (which, as I learned in Dr. Rittenbaum's business law class, is not cool- or legal).

Randy Pulley came from Word of God Christian Academy (which is banned). People below mention that Horace Dixon's school may have problems.

There are also related problems with legitimate prep schools enticing kids to come to their school with false promises and inattention to the academic needs of the kid. Those issues are being looked at by the NCAA as well although probably won't go any where.

>Randy Pulley came from Word of God Christian Academy (which

>is banned).

Another reason to bash that coach that's no longer here. J/K.

People below mention that Horace Dixon's school

>may have problems.

>

>There are also related problems with legitimate prep schools

>enticing kids to come to their school with false promises

>and inattention to the academic needs of the kid. Those

>issues are being looked at by the NCAA as well although

>probably won't go any where.

I don't think so either. Maybe that's why FUMA is on the "to be reviewed" list because there's no question that an institution that's been around since 1898 is a legitimate prep school.