Excuses for Brad

VTIME

Yes, but that was in the A-10 and if you read my post, that would be my concern about this team. Are they a legitimate tournament team or was their success in conference last season due to playing in a depleted conference. I am sure Bernie did not miss that, I am sure he did not see finishing 4th in a weak conference to be that note worthy. If you consider going 6-6 out of conference and winning 10 games in a bad conference a great accomplishment, you are accepting the mediocrity that is SLU basketball. That is why Bernie and other local media, ala the guys on the Grind, mock the fans of SLU.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>B.S. Take your tired stuff and go home. You are passionate

>about these guys because they are local and exponentially

>more passionate when they are from Vashon. Love and hate

>for slu really has nothing to do with it.

>

>Vtime...grad school...ha. No, really, you're gonna be

>something someday. Wait, you already are or so you have told

>us. moron.

>

>If your act on this board resembles your behavior,

>intellect, reason and view of reality in real life,

>then...well...good luck buddy.

Yeah, I am someone. Everybody on this board on this board on someone and dont let anyone tell you any different. I'm not a moron, I'm a scholar-athlete. And yeah outside board I am soft-spoken unless the topic is sports. You not liking my comments doesnt make me a moron. You're inability to give constructive criticism without resulting to childish name calling might classify you as a moron though. I know I'll be something because God has a plan for me and so far I'm on the road to being the first one in my family to graduate college, but I wont be the last.

Actually internshisp are a requirement to graduate from Harris-Stowe in the business department. I'm looking into that for the spring semester as I'm nearing graduation. I would welcome anyone's help. Forget what you read about me on the board. I'm a hardworking young man just trying to get ahead in life. Help me out!

"If you consider going 6-6 out of conference and winning 10 games in a bad conference a great accomplishment, you are accepting the mediocrity that is SLU basketball."

It doesn't have anything to do with accepting mediocrity. I was pointing out that nice guys don't neccesarily finish last. The guys on the Grind mock everybody -- there's nothing that can be done about that.

fgwl, i doubt anyone is satisfied with being mediocre. my take on the program is that it cant be built overnight legally. and even you admit it is headed in the right direction. part of the slu problem is that for the last 15 years we have had grawer, spoon, romar, and soderberg as head coaches. show me the top 25 program that changes coaches every 4 years. there has to be an effort to maintain some consistency. not throw it out and start over every 4-5 years. so i maintain as long as the program continues to improve, even in the slightest level, i am willing to be patient.

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? Why if someone is happy with last season and has positive thoughts on where we can finish this season does it mean we accept mediocrity. I think there are alot of posters such as myself who think that UB is a good coach, believe we are on the right track and also believe some mistakes have been made in the past. It doesn't have to be at one extreme or the other.

What does an article Bernie wrote have to do with anything, he knows less about college basketball than alot of the posters on this board.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

That a boy V-time, stand-up for yourself and don't let some guy on billikens.com tell you that you won't amount to anything. That poster showed a real lack of class in making those comments, personal attacks are not needed on this board. I applaud you in your efforts in being the first member of your family to graduate college and hope that you will indeed not be the last. What gives him the authority to call you a moron and tell you that will never go to grad school and be successful in life? In my opinion, it sounds like you have already been successful.

bernie also allowed tuna on his radio show last fall to guarantee that both dwayne polk and tommie liddell were transferring. we are still waiting for that. and as long as bernie let's him make that statement without comment, bernie might as well be saying that himself as well.

i could care less what the idiots on the grind think. they are about the most worthless excuse of a sports talk show ever conceived. you might as well walk into a tavern on south grand somewhere and ask the group of drunks at the bar their opinion as listen to what the grind has to contribute on sports.

as to your comments on the a-10 being weak, while it isnt a top 7 conference yet as i imagined it might become, it isnt the atlantic sun conference either. last year i believe the a-10 was the 11th ranked conference and if it hadnt been for st bonnie and duquesne, it would have likely approached a significantly higher level. finishing 4th was indeed a nice step last year considering all the question marks going into the season. and let's not lose sight of the fact that in brad's other seasons with the exception of the bryant/frericks season, the billikens indeed were in the top half every soderberg season of conference usa which was a top 7 at worst top 8 conference each season.

I never said it had to be one extreme or the other. I was saying V-time is obviously on the one extreme and I would be more likely to lean towards that side than the other extreme, those who love Brad. I think the point about switching coaches is valid and it is hard for a coach to come in and make an immediate splash. All I am saying is that Brad has done nothing to win me over to this point, like I said this is the make or break year for me concerning Sodie. The article by Bernie that I am referring to is right on point concerning Coach Soderberg and the SLU basketball program.

What you did say was that fans that are happy with UB to date except mediocrity. That is what I mean by why must it be one extreme or the other ... why can't someone be happy with where we are to date and still expect us to get better. Maybe some of us understand the last 30 years of SLU basketball (for me 15) and realize that things don't happen overnight ... that there are ups and downs. I don't remember anyone saying UB was perfect and hadn't made any mistakes. I think some of us think that overall we are going in the right direction ... I'm happy with that. Doesn't mean we are fans who accept mediocrity.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Hard work doesn't always get it done, you've got to use your brain. If your posts on this board are indicative of your logic and reasoning skills, why would anyone be interested in helping you secure an internship? Further, how would your inability to critically think be viewed as an asset in the business world?

I think the concerns that I have mentioned have to be considered legitimate. We were 6-6 out of conference and then begin league play and all of sudden start winning games. One could argue that teams mature and get better as the season goes on, especially when two of your best players are freshmen. I like the fact that everyone is optimistic about the season and I am too, I just think it is important to keep some skepticism and the fact remains we had no quality non-conference wins last season and got beat handedly by teams like Hawaii, Ole Miss, and UW-Milwaukee. The A-10 was weak and an argument otherwise is flat-out wrong. Your mention of Brad's teams finishing in the top half of C-USA every season, except the Bryant/Frericks is kind of laughable to me. That would be 2 seasons in the top half and one in the bottom half, "every season but one" like he has some long track record of success in C-USA, and those first 2 teams were led by Romar players. Brad has no track record of success here at SLU with players that he has recruited. Like I said, that could all change with this season, but lets be realistic about the program under Brad to this date.

Being a scholar-athlete at HS and a moron are not mutually exclusive.

My not liking your comments doesn't make you a moron, you're right, your moronic comments make you a moron.

whoopdee-do...first in your family to graduate college. Many people face more difficult situations in life than just getting through college, you trumpet it as if it is a story from Ripley's believe it or not.

Why do you parade your accomplishments on an internet discussion board about basketball? I have asked you that a number of times and you have failed to answer it.

vtime for class president - "Let the blind lead the blind"

Because contrived awards and accolades don't impress me much. The ability to critically think about a situation and have substantive input impresses me.

Broy pointed out your lack of math skills about recruiting and he highlighted a good point. Think critically about the recruiting situation. BS cannot offer every tom dick and harry from the st. louis metro area, but you get all fired up when he won't offer some kid you mention. Take the data you have collected about the local high school basketball scheme and turn it into some substantive input, just don't lob 500 names into the air and then ***** because BS didn't offer all of them.

"The preseason pick was obviously due to teams not knowing anything about us and should not be used to support any argument."

Could we use SLU's preseason pick to support the argument that others didn't know anything about us? psst...you just did (but i thought we couldn't use it to support any argument).

I would list these players equal to

>those you listed that Romar was able to get: he was able to

>rerecruit Marque Perry, Kenny Brown, Jason Edwin, Floyd

>McClain, and Randy Pulley. These guys may not have turned

>out in the long-run, but they were considered quality

>recruits out of highschool, which here seems be the

>determinant of successful recruiting.

Okay, so the recruits you're listing are equal to Brad's recruits. How does that back up V's argument that Romar is a far superior recruiter than Brad?

If Pulley had not signed on his visit, Travis Diener would have been a

>Billiken as well. I am not trying to say Romar is far

>superior to Soderberg, but I do not think you can say that

>Sodie is doing a great job of recruiting.

That's wrong. Diener was his priority and Pulley was the backup.

>Also, many have said that Romar won C-USA with Spoons

>players, which I do not debate, but then give credit to Brad

>for making the NIT in his first two seasons. Who were the

>leaders of those two NIT teams? Perry, Brown, Fisher, and

>Sloan and all those guys were recruited here by Romar.

Difference is Romar did not have to scrape together recruits at the last minute and fill in about 5 spots in two months. His squad for the C-USA run was pretty much ready to go. I'd also argue that the combo of Fish, Sloan, Perry, etc. was not as strong a group as the Love, Jeffers, Heinrich, etc. group.