Comments on recruiting

slu72

The targeted class of Lidell, Polk(verbal), Meyer(verbal), and Shaw, looks good to me even though it won't raise many eyebrows around the world of college hoops. I have confidence Uncle Brad can mold a very competitive team, i.e. dance caliber, out of what we have and the above class. I still would like to see us land that 6'8" pf type that can slash and mix it up underneath, but who knows maybe he's not required in UB's system. Our future however is not only determined by who we bring in but also by what other CUSA teams are getting. UL, Memphis, UC, and Marquette are going to draw big names, so we will probably always be listed as a middle of the pack team in conference projections. Yet look at what we did last year with very a very athletically challenged team. I agree with Nark that we should go after ranked players, but also believe there are many "diamonds in the rough" out there that with good coaching and personal commitment can make us a consistent top 50 program. I also like UB's approach of going after realistic recruits rather than 'Zo's attempts to land fantasy players.

Yes, we should make attempts, e.g. am sure UB went after Price and Grimes. What I meant was we should not panic if we don't land them. Would I have liked to see Grimes coming to SLU, you bet. But that doesn't make me dislike the class of Lidell, Shaw, Polk, and Meyers. In fact I'd be dancing in the street if we got these four. Now if we don't land Lidell and Shaw....well, we're just going to have see who the plan b players are.

I don't view that statement as a contradiction. Going after local (or even regional) top 100 players is realistic, but chasing after top 100 players from the coasts is not. The goal is to recruit the highest quality attainable players. For local players, the ceiling should be higher.

3 star, the 2 guards from bloomington, IL i saw play this summer at the eagles tourney are very nice players (i think one's name was dodie dunson, and i dont remember the other, brandon kurtz maybe?). i think they are both div 1 players. i will be shocked if arthur sargent doesnt become a huge talent. however he is such a good receiver, he may decide his future is football. of course you are forgetting to list hansborough. i am enough of a realist to realize he wont ever be a billiken, but still you cant mention local div I prospects and not mention tyler.

no we dont stand a chance. he is probably a top 10 talent. his dad is a missouri alum. he will can go whereever he wants. to visualize tyler, think the duke version of christian laettner.