Xavier Thread

Mobile-iken

i will say a person with the resume of dempsey sure does hint at more than just an informant. he would be a perfect new conference commish. one nice thing, i would think having him in the middle of things speaks highly of our four schools and provides loads of credibility. who knows, maybe this is the way that we are trying to salvage the papal conference.

I certainly could be wrong, but I don't think SLU necessary cares whether there is a papal conference or not. They do care about a strong conference that will bring $$$ to the athletic department and school.

IMHO, hiring Mr. Dempsy is the type of calculated move I would expect from Father Biondi. Mr. Dempsy's reputation and contacts appear to be unquestioned. The fact that he represents all four schools seems to me to bode well for SLU. I don't think any of us has seen the agreement between Mr. Dempsy and the schools noted, but his representation of all four would seem to preclude his involvement in a deal involving only Depaul and Marquette (i.e., he may have a fiduciary duty to all four schools under the agreement). Again, a very interesting a shrewd move.

This kind of coincides with my belief that Fr. Biondi was not going to sit idly by while all this conference shifting was going on. Let's hope that it is just an initial step in getting SLU alligned with schools that are more to their total philosophy.

imo the biggest problem with c-usa was the vast differences in philosophies and academic practices between the schools. i think it was bernie m that once alluded that slu was amongst a group of thieves and hooligans. and i for one agree with that completely. it is obvious that we cannot compete for the top rungs on a consistent basis when cincy, memphis and louisville can annually let in the likes of robert whaley or marvin stone or chris massie. you dont see the private schools like us and marquette bringing in those type of students. and the rift between the two schools of thought is huge.

I don't think legally the CUSA 4 can say they are "together," the other CUSA members would have problems with that and it is sort of like setting up a conference on their own while they are still in one, it would open them to lawsuits. This is as far as they can go as far as saying our four schools are together and we will be forming a new conference or joining an existing one together without hindering themselves legally. This Dempsey guy is big time and I now have full confidence that SLU will not be dumped on the NCAA curb. Biondi is putting us on a winning track.