Post Telecon Call

C-USA Board of Directors Discuss Conference Realignment

The Conference USA Board of Directors met by teleconference earlier today to discuss issues related to potential conference realignment and the development of process to ensure that they are effectively managed.

Following considerable discussion, the Board endorsed a process that will encourage stability and reasoned decision-making. To that end, the Board reaffirmed its commitment to adhering to the existing Conference Bylaws, which, under the circumstances, prohibit any member from withdrawing prior to June 30, 2005. As part of its approach to addressing realignment issues, the Conference will continue to engage in meaningful and open communication among its members and other conferences potentially impacted by any changes that may occur.

“I am very pleased with the support and the direction that we have received from our membership and their desire to make sure we address these issues in a strategic and responsible way," said Commissioner Britton Banowsky. “While there may be changes on the horizon, we are comfortable knowing that any future changes will not be effective prior to the 2005-2006 academic year. Obviously, we will continue to explore ways to strengthen the Conference and serve the collective best interests of our members.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, that says absolutely nothing. At least, nothing that reinforces the possibilty of something in SLU's best interests.

What this says, to me, is that the Big East can still raid Conference USA of some of its best teams, but it will take a little longer.

Don't worry, if you have ever read a news release from CUSA they all look and sound the same. 3 paragraphs comprised of generalities and double talk, I am confident we will not get screwed mainly because if these guys don't pull off a merger they will be out of work.

Torch, I hope you're right, but very little that I've read in the media (particularly Brad Soderberg's comments in Andy Katz's Weekly Word) instills much confidence in me.

I guess what I most want to read/hear is some statement from Lawrence Biondi and/or Doug Woolard that affirms that they are pushing SLU and are not just along for the ride, as if someone else will speak up for SLU's best interests. Well, Marquette, DePaul, and Charlotte might, but only if SLU's administration is proactive. If the four C-USA non-football schools don't stick together and watch out for each other, then SLU is in the weakest position, being furthest west.

While I don't see Fr. Biondi as a sports fan, I do believe he will do everything possible to get SLU in the best possible light/the best possible conference. I know he understands the difference between in a league with Georgetown versus Evansville.

Likewise, I see Doug Woolard as being quiet, reserved, yet working hard to get us in the best possible conference for all of our sports, led by men's bball. You won't being seeing the old "Steve Mizerany (sp?) interviews or comments by Woolard.

Keep the faith. Personally, I think SLU and metro St. Louis has too much to offer to be overlooked!

My take on the press release is that the Big East wants Louisville and Cincy for the 2004-2005 season; however, the CUSA bylaws don't allow them to get out any sooner than 2005-2006. This tells me CUSA is not going to rollover and is putting the Big East on notice that it shall use all leverage at its disposal to get the best deal possible. This is encouraging news to me. I did not know CUSA had this kind of leverage. I assumed Louisville and Cincy could just pay a big exit fee and be gone next year (I thought I read $500k somewhere). I believe CUSA is saying that the Big East has to negotiate any potential merger while Louisville and Cincy are still in the conference ... not after they are already gone and CUSA is in a weakened condition. Then again, the Big East might just say "fine, we'll wait till 2005-2006 and then raid at will on our terms."

For those who long for a quick end to this saga, I'm sorry. Looks like there are more enstallments to follow.

>My take on the press release is that the Big East wants

>Louisville and Cincy for the 2004-2005 season; however, the

>CUSA bylaws don't allow them to get out any sooner than

>2005-2006. This tells me CUSA is not going to rollover and

>is putting the Big East on notice that it shall use all

>leverage at its disposal to get the best deal possible.

>This is encouraging news to me. I did not know CUSA had

>this kind of leverage. I assumed Louisville and Cincy could

>just pay a big exit fee and be gone next year (I thought I

>read $500k somewhere). I believe CUSA is saying that the

>Big East has to negotiate any potential merger while

>Louisville and Cincy are still in the conference ... not

>after they are already gone and CUSA is in a weakened

>condition. Then again, the Big East might just say "fine,

>we'll wait till 2005-2006 and then raid at will on our

>terms."

>

>For those who long for a quick end to this saga, I'm sorry.

>Looks like there are more enstallments to follow.

JJ, you make some very good points. I hadn't looked at it that way. The Big East probably won't want to "wait until 2005-06 and raid on their terms," because by then the new BCS contract will have been finalized and they may wind up out in the cold.

all part of posturing and negotiations. big east was probably flexing muscles and conference usa is in effect saying, whoa!

i am with tseugnekillib, slu and the st louis area has way to much to offer to be "left behind". my guess is someone else is being protected not slu. charlotte comes to mind since they really have nothing in common other than the no football.

also, there is still the matter of the weak sisters concerned. if new homes arent found for houston, tulane, tcu, uab, etc. is it beyond belief that there are other schools that care and want those not in the merger to be taken care of as a condition of the merger?

patience.

If the A-10 stays put,and quiet,that could help the merger.If the A-10 gets involved things could get messy.Really hope the merger gets worked out.Think I saw a Washington Post article that included the A-10.

I have not seen the comments by Brad but the ones he has made recently in STL lead me to believe that he is somewhat out of the loop on this issue. I am not sure why but he never seems to know any substantive information only continuing to say that just keeps taking care of his area and lets others do their job. Personally, I am not sure if he knows anything or not and if he does not then I would think Woolard would want to keep him informed so he does not give the wrong impression. I also wish Woolard or someone would come out with something that will give us some comfort - this silence can not be helping the fund raising issue for the arena. My read on the press release is that CUSA will not sit by idlely in this matter - the real question still remains though, what are they doing and what kind of impact does it have on SLU?

ADs out there saying much about this either. Silence is fine as long as they are working behind the scenes to get things done.

Although we weren't mentioned in the NY Post article for the new b-ball league I found the article very encouraging and feel very confident that if the Big East b-ball only happens, which it appear it will, we will be included in the league.

Again, I believe the individuals/families/foundations that are willing to donate mega dollars to the new SLU arena will do so because of their love for the University or because of their strong feelings for Fr. Biondi.

SLU has belonged to four or five different conferences in the past 50 years and will probably belong to two or three different conferences in the next 50 years. In the meantime, I believe SLU's endowment fund has grown to record levels.

It's all about the University and it's people. Keep the faith!