Rammer

cheeseman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

john, maybe ramsey should be the one to "think a little" before biting the hand that feeds him. one time, i wouldnt give it a second thought, but he continues to do it over and over and over.

Roy,

do you happen recall a Sunday night TV feature Cusumano

conducted with Ramsey about eight or nine years ago? Bob

said something like "If God told me this is the best it

would ever get (broadcasting Billiken games) I'd be fine with

that." Does that sound like a guy who doesn't care or is

disloyal?

john, i dont think he is disloyal. i think he just lets this afternoon show get in the way of his thinking or something. i dont know maybe he wants to bud up to clayborne who hates the billikens. but the truth is he has done a lot of harm to the billiken program over the last couple of years with some of his positions and comments.

there are a lot worse folks on the air waves no doubt. and relatively overall he is still probably our 2nd or 3rd best pr guy in the media. but still, the "voice of the billikens" should be above and beyond our man. i dont know if we can say that. i'd love to see that change, as i think he does do a very good job on the play by play. i love his style there.

IF (and that is a big if....)SLU wants to anti up to make Ramsey and exclusive contract where he only does announcing for bills games, soccer basketball, MC's other events etc.....then I would agree with all of you .

But we do not control this guy. I do find his talk show at times interesting but more often a turnoff......however, any talk show host needs some air of respectability, he tries not to be a homer. I hate mike Kelley homerism, and his side kick is even worse....

I like Ramsey's broadcasts, that is what SLU pays him for....

His calls of lousville win last year and SLU's first NCAA tourney win in Clagget era were classic, gave me goose bumps to here it over again.

Besides talk about a marketing fiasco, can you imagine all the bad press that would follow his firing......"SLU can't face the music, SLU needs a homer......etc....Bernie would have field day.

Please folks lets not shoot the messenger, lets win!!

First of all - good post.

We all need to remember something, Ramsey is not an employee of SLU. Yes, he draws a check from SLU for the play by play for the games. But, he also draws a check from many other resources. KFNS is about ratings, and could care less what Ramsey's take on the Bills is. Ramsey has to look out for himself when it comes to being on KFNS. Can you blame the guy? Would you all not do the same if your income depended on you working? I challenge you all to talk to Ramsey personally and ask him if he would like to be an employee of SLU. I have before and he went nuts showing enthusiasm as he said he would love to be a full time employee of SLU. Why would he not want to? It would be full time work, benefits, and the whole deal.

Unfortunately, SLU does not have the resources to do this. So, we may not like Ramsey and his approach, but maybe the blame should be to SLU. Although, be careful in blaming SLU and Woolard as there are only so much in the area of financial resources.

Mike Kelly on the other hand is employed soley by MU and reports directly to the assistant AD at MU. Mike is used for the voice of the Tigers. Mike is used to MC all the Tiger events, dinners, charities, etc. - not just a few of them. Mike Kelly also has weekly coaches show. Mike Kelly is always going to be a homer - that is his full time job! He even has a title at MU, I think it is something like Director of Radio and TV Broadcast or something like that.

So, things aren't always as they seem on the surface. Sure, SLU could go out and higher another guy to be the voice of the Billikens, but it will be a part time gig, seasonal, and the person who gets the job will have to have other employment in order to live and provide for their family. Once they do, they will be committed to other institutions, companies, organizations, etc - and then they have to be able to walk the line of balancing them all, which is a task not easily accomplished as we have seen by Rammer. So, I guess the question is, should Rammer sever all other commitments, and work soley for SLU for little beans, should SLU find the means to higher him or somebody full time, or does Rammer need to work on his communication to balance it all? Not an easy solution.

OK - I understand all your points but what you are missing is this - you can be an objective reporter without denegrating a program. Do you really have to use terms like "whupping" and that "another program is simply better because they own a series edge". NO - you can say SLU did not play well and were down by 16 at one point but then with a little over 3 minutes left in the game they fought back to within 3 and had Varner at the line shooting a 1 and 1 twice but he missed both front ends - if Varner hits his free throws then the Bills are actually up by 1. But no - Bob just says we got whupping and our program is second rate. I am not asking him to be a revisionist of what happened just tell the full story and leave emotionally comments out. Al Hrabosky is not a full time employee of the Cards but he has no problem with pointing out that a particular pitcher is not getting it done or that the bullpen is struggling but then he will say something like - the team took a chance on a couple of guys because of payroll limitations and they just did not pan out. He would never say that the team is a poor evaluator of talent and spent their money so unwisely that the team is now second rate. You can get your point across without slamming a team. By the way Woolard does care and will listen to your concerns - I was suprised but he proved it to me over an issue. Finally, for those of you who think this is a petty issue - in the business world, if you are getting a paycheck from one company and contract out to consult another on your own time and while doing so, you denegrate the first company you can kiss your behind goodby or at least you will get an attitude adjustment warning. If Ramsey wants to continue broadcasting the Bills he has to think about his comments he makes in a public forum before he puts his foot in his mouth - anybody can do it once but he has shown that he continues to do it. With the building and fund raising for the new arena, SLU can not afford to have those connected with it in any manner saying anything that could turn a potential donor or season ticket holder off - period!

Bob Ramsey does a great job on the broadcasts. I can think of no one I would rather have. He brings a great deal of excitement to the games. I've listened to Billiken broadcasts as long as or longer than anyone on this board, and Ramsey ranks right up there with the best SLU has had. Period.

It's time to get over this "conspiracy", "us against them", "he's out to get us", or whatever you want to call it "syndrome".

Tonka ... I bet he will be ... and I know that many members of this board are Billiken Club members and boosters. I think he will care ... I'm not saying that if we speak he will react ... but if he knows the opinion of many of his athletic department boosters ... that will be on his mind during his next conversation with Bob ... and maybe just maybe it will inspire him to initiate a conversation. I know for a fact that the members of SLU's athletic department do care about what the boosters think.

I do not know for sure ... but I would bet that at least half of the local members of this board are Club members ... and some of them prominent ones. If you are a poster on this board and are not then shame on you ... you should be.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Clearly, some of you have confused the issue once again and are focusing on the play by play performance - read the orginal post. There was nothing said about the play by play performance it was all about denegrating SLU's program on a public forum. If you don't care about having the program belittled than that is your problem. As far as I am concern I think the voice of any team has an obligation to be supportive in general.