Mascots/Billikens/Men's Journal

bonwich

Per our Opry buddy's post below, I forgot to note to everyone that I was at the haircut place last week and skimmed a Men's Journal magazine while waiting, only to come across a six-question multiple choice survey about college mascots. Of course, one of the questions was about the Banana Slugs, but sure enough, one asked for the definition of a Billiken. The four choices were the correct answer, along with, I believe, "a Mississippi River snake," "a small prairie animal" and "the former mayor of St. Louis and a prominent SLU alumnus."

NashvilleBilliken was right -- it's a potentially powerful marketing tool.

I was out at a local pub the other day and a rather attractive young lady saw me getting out of my truck with the "Billy" decal on the back and asked if "that cute little thang" (dixie chick talk for thing) on my back window was a troll or a space man. I told her it was a Billiken, which led to, "what's a Billiken?" Ooooh to have been about 25 again.

wow, there you go slu marketing geniuses. proof of what was once just a thought. the billiken attracts chicks. (if it works for decrepid dixie, my gosh it works!)

now get that out there and we can probably fund the athletic department on that alone.

The assistant pro at our course is from Belleville and a bills fan. Because he has done so many favors for me with tee times...I ordered two Billiken hats one with the Cardinal style STL on the front and Billy on the back and one with Billy on front and the stl on the back. He took the one with Billy on the front and has got quite a bit of attention with it in his travels. Being considerably younger than me and single, he is able to capitalize. My God, I think we've figured out the Billiken is a....oh heavens....a SEX SYMBOL! I sure hope that big dollar female donor who was offended by the BABY BLUES is not reading this...we could end up with a new mascot. Now introducing your St.Louis University Cervantes! or Your St. Louis University Mud Bellies!

That should go on the brochure for the prospective students. I have the Billiken Bobble Head on my desk at work and my old Battalion Executive Officer loved it he is now a lover and promoter of Billikens. He would even make me explain what a Billiken was to Field Grades Officers out of the blue.

On a scandulous side the Billiken can pass STDs. One of my room-mates as we were a lil' drunk walking down campus decided to lick the nipple on the bronze Billiken in front of West Pine. The next day he had a huge cold sore. The lesson: Yes the Billiken is a sex symbol but you must be responsible in all your encounters.

"What is a Billiken" was always a question during the interview portion of Baby Blue tryouts. When we traveled to the conference and NCAA tournaments, we were constantly asked what a Billiken was by people throughout the cities. I remember one time a guy came up and asked one of the other dancers what it was, and she said she didn't know. The coach heard this and the coach yelled at her and gave us all a lecture about it. Let's just say, I will never forget the definition of a Billiken. :)

right movie, right actor, wrong scene. it was when they were sitting around the barracks introducing themselves to each other.