What people are scared of

I think what people are really scared of is brad actually having talented players on the roster and how he will handle them. He is known to get the best out of players who do not have the natural talent that other programs have (See AD), but what happens now that we have a potential NBA player (TL) and a stolen recruit from U of I (KL). He got nervous last year in the beginning of the year and put the reigns on them and probably cost us a few games (UW, UNC).

We have said this before about brad getting a lead and then sitting on it just to have the other team turn it on with 4 mins left to beat us. The only game that comes to mind that UB let the reigns completely off was Charlotte (best win of the season).

Does brad want to be a west virginia like team when everyone on this board wants us to be UAB (with a high GPA). I mean he has Dustin Maguire this year and AK. The truth will come out in 2007 when Suggs will be on the table.

Will brad just say, oh, We can mold dustin maguire like players into mike gansey and leave the rodney carney like players for Mizzou. This question really hasnt been answered yet. If Brad cant land one of the many studs in suggs class, I think its time to show him the door. That is how long my leash is, and I think it's where most posters are. Oh and if he takes us dancing he can have a longer leash.

Will brad be able to coach Tier 1 talent. We will see.

GO BILLS

Nick

Not saying I completely agree with everything you posted, I do however believe any coach not named Williams, Krzyzewski, or even Bruce Weber should feel some kind of pressure to succeed. But lets keep things in perspective. It's not as if some young, up and coming ala Jay Wright is pining for the SLU job. For all of Soderberg's perceived faults the team did surprise many. Under Soderberg Tommie was not only A-10 Rookie of the Year he also made Freshmen All-American, Lisch made probably the most improvement of any freshmen in the land during the season. What can't you say about Ian?

Is everything peaches and cream in SLU-land, of course not? Coach has to make adjustment with his coaching philosophy in relation to the talent at hand. I agree Charlotte and the 2nd half vs Xavier in Cincy were probably the most enjoyable games of the year. We were aggressive as opposed to being counter puncher. Do we play that style vs every team? No, but we need to be more flexible. St. Joe's made little to no changes in dismantling us from game 1 to game 2. That should never happen.

Jal,

I love TL and KL but shouldn't we have more to talk about that 2 recruits over a four year period. As for Ian he has gone back to Greece every year to play ball so it is hard for me to give the staff total credit for his improved play especially since nother player has shown similar improvement.

What concerns me the most with BS is his total lack of flexibility. Whether it be his recruiting philosopy,game management or willingness to let players play. All this has seen relatively no change in 4 years. I guess I would fell better about the situation if we made the NIT last year but we didn't. SLU should have had a better year based on the A10 vs Conference USA but we didn't. And finally there is no rational excuse for either St. Joe game.

I love TL and KL but shouldn't we have more to talk about

that 2 recruits over a four year period.

I agree to a point, however things seems to be moving in the right direction. Losing Stemler seems at least on the surface to be a major blow. Most saw him as the final piece. I will say outside of Larry Johnson, JUCO success doesn't always translate at the next level.

What concerns me the most with BS is his total lack of

flexibility. Whether it be his recruiting philosopy,game

management or willingness to let players play.

I'm with you on the game management in terms of flexibility, but looking at it from Soderberg's perspective he hasn't had the luxury of having top shelf talent on hand, at least not at SLU. It's a learning process for Soderberg as well. This year is critical for Soderberg. I will reserve judgement until then. Can't comment on recruiting as I don't follow it that much.

Allowing the players to play, Soderberg has shown a willingness at least in stretches. Games that come to mind: North Carolina, Charlotte, Xavier(Cincy) 2nd half, Xavier @ Savvis, Duquesne,and the 2nd half vs Dayton @ Dayton

I guess I would feel better about the situation if we made the NIT last year but we didn't. SLU should have had a better year based on the A10 vs Conference USA but we didn't. And finally there is no

rational excuse for either St. Joe game.

It would be hypocritical for me to agree about postseason play as I was hoping for a .500 season. They were 3 games above that. The ending left a sour taste as it seemed we didn't compete. Overall we had a better year conference-wise. We put teams on notice that SLU is a team to be reckoned with, I can't remember the last time that was the case in the Conference of Useless & Sorry Athletes. At least that's what my co-workers euphemistically called CUSA

People keep saying UB didn't let the players play ... except in a few instances. That doesn't make sense that coach changed his style a few times and immediately we had success ... then he wouldn't follow up with the same style. I'm wondering how many of you saying that watched the games. He coached the same ... the difference is in the confidence of the players, as the players start to get a little success they play the game differently. They play a litle more aggressive and they move better with and without the ball, they shoot better and attack the basket better. When they start slow ... it sometimes seems they get in a funk and start standing around, movement without the ball slows way down ... they shoot tentatively and it snowballs.

The insinuation that UB coached with a different style for brief moments or games during the season ... and then didn't follow up on the obvious success of that style change is ridiculous.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

Skip,

You dont think coach approached games different ways. He did and this means that he coached differently. The UNC game we were winning at half and I'm sure he said, "Ok guys, look we have nothin to lose, go out there and do it". In return he got KL draining ridiculous threes because in KL's mind they were "going for it".

Now fast forward to dayton and brad wants to dictate tempo, get it out of their stud's hands (Brian something) and overcoach his way to two losses.

Now player's motivation is a factor here also, but UB should be accountable for that. Ultimately I am a UB fan, but I think this year more than last year, he is going ot have trust KL and TL's bball knowledge to get the job done. I would be extremely interested in how we would do if Phil Jackson coached us. Do you think his hands off approach would equal more wins, I think it definitely would.

Nick

I think the players skill and confidence dictates the tempo more than the coach did. I was at numerous practices where coach urged the players to push the ball and they were tentative. I have also heard coach say that he continually urged them to be more agressive offensively. When the ball is in a players hands and he is slow to shoot, or he pulls up on a break with only 1 man to beat, or he doesn't penatrate into the paint when the opportunity is there ... that is the player. Now it is Brad's job to recruit players that have the confidence and the ability to do the things he wants done ... and if he continues to say he urges the guys to push the pace and it still doesn't happen ... then he is not coaching well or recruiting the wrong players to do what he wants done and that responsibility lies with him.

Now he also said at the end of the season he thinks we need to play more pressure defense and that he was going to watch a lot of film and evaluate how we can increase the tempo of games. I hope he does.

I get lumped in with the love Brad faction ... because I defend him ... but there are alot of things I agree with UB on and a few I don't. Overall I'd say I'm happy with the job he has done ... but I also feel like we need to take the next step and the time is during the next 2 years. I think this year is huge because it's not that often that a team has a big man the caliber of Ian. There just aren't that many of them and even fewer that end up at SLU ... so I will be highly dissapointed if we end up not taking full advantage of that. IMO to do it we need one of our 4's to really come through. By that I mean 8-10 ppg and 6-7 rpg while playing good defense. If we can get that we won't have to rely so much on an outside game and it will be much harder to stop our inside game without leaving us wide open on the perimiter. This year teams could use the 4 and the 5 to stop Ian with no other inside threat on the floor and still stick with our guards ... we can't let that happen.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

>Not saying I completely agree with everything you posted, I

>do however believe any coach not named Williams, Krzyzewski,

>or even Bruce Weber should feel some kind of pressure to

>succeed. But lets keep things in perspective. It's not as if

>some young, up and coming ala Jay Wright is pining for the

>SLU job. For all of Soderberg's perceived faults the team

>did surprise many. Under Soderberg Tommie was not only A-10

>Rookie of the Year he also made Freshmen All-American, Lisch

>made probably the most improvement of any freshmen in the

>land during the season. What can't you say about Ian?

>

>Is everything peaches and cream in SLU-land, of course not?

>Coach has to make adjustment with his coaching philosophy in

>relation to the talent at hand. I agree Charlotte and the

>2nd half vs Xavier in Cincy were probably the most enjoyable

>games of the year. We were aggressive as opposed to being

>counter puncher. Do we play that style vs every team? No,

>but we need to be more flexible. St. Joe's made little to no

>changes in dismantling us from game 1 to game 2. That should

>never happen.

I'm not sure I can credit Brad with Tommie and Kevin being on the all A10 Rookie Team. They are better than the typical A10 recruit and they were supposed to do that. They played more than any other freshman out of necessity, so they are supposed to produce more. Brad held them back more than he advanced their games. Lisch should've been a day one starter and everyone knew that except Brad. Tommie played pg in high school and prep school and everyone knows this, so why is he playing the 4. You dont play your star recruit out of position. You put him in the best situation to succeed at his natural position. Ian developed because of the time he got as a sophomore. If Tom hadn't been hurt Ian would've been on the bench that year, wasting away. Players can only develop with playing time and with playing time Ian thrived and learned how to compete in the college game. Ian is a good player because an injury forced Brad to go to him. I expect a good season next year. His best bet is to PLAY HUSAK alongside Ian in the starting lineup so he can develop and play the freshman bigs off the bench. The sophs Liddell and Lisch should be much improved, next year, but should win the A10 in 2008 as juniors with Liddell and Lisch in superstar mode season is when and an improved senior big man in Husak, sophomore power forwards OI and AK, senior leadership off the bench at the critical pg position in Polk. Solid senior leadership on the wings with Brown and Meyer. Starting sophomore shooter in DM. Sound like a Sweet 16 team to me.

i believe that brad has demonstrated that players just arent given a position or a role. they earn it. and he gives the returnee every opportunity to keep their spot. thus dwayne starting and playing the point while tommie and kevin rightfully eventually took that away.

to say "everyone" knew that, i think if you go back and reread last summer and fall posts, you will see the vast majority fought you and i both on kevin starting over polk and tommie playing point over polk. i am surprised you dont remember that since you and i were the ones getting beat on about tommie being the point guard instead of polk.

>i believe that brad has demonstrated that players just arent

>given a position or a role. they earn it. and he gives the

>returnee every opportunity to keep their spot. thus dwayne

>starting and playing the point while tommie and kevin

>rightfully eventually took that away.

>

>to say "everyone" knew that, i think if you go back and

>reread last summer and fall posts, you will see the vast

>majority fought you and i both on kevin starting over polk

>and tommie playing point over polk. i am surprised you dont

>remember that since you and i were the ones getting beat on

>about tommie being the point guard instead of polk.

When I say everyone, I mean people like you and I who have a general understanding of how to play the game, and have some knowledge of local area players. Everyone was the wrong word to use. By the way, people fight me on most posts, whether I am right or wrong, so I'm not going to remember all the fights, and I'm not going to say "I told you so" most of the time. I'm also not right all the time, and I dont expect to be. I'm glad you took my side in that particular argument and it feels good to get some kind of recognition for being right. I'm just glad Brad realized something I long thought to be obvious before the season was over.

I think most people said the DP would start the season at pg and he did. Most people also thought the best guard rotation was going to be TL, KL, and DB ... which is what I said over and over. I also said DP is a pg not a shooting guard ... I think that was clear to all but very, very few. There is a difference between who will start and who we think should start.