Vicious critics--Hard times in Raleigh

Why would anyone believe you've coached D1. Spill it who are you and where did you coach?

You're an instigator. You start trouble completely unprovoked. Which is ok because you are anonymous.

At least if I say something to someone they know who I am and where to find me. I don't have to hide.

And as far as your continued derogatory comments about my job. Have you bought a car from me? Do you know someone who has? Do you know what my reputation is? Making stupid comments about things you know very little about ... seems like your MO

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> Why would anyone believe you've coached D1. Spill it who

>are you and where did you coach?

>

> You're an instigator. You start trouble completely

>unprovoked. Which is ok because you are anonymous.

>

> At least if I say something to someone they know who I am

>and where to find me. I don't have to hide.

>

> And as far as your continued derogatory comments about my

>job. Have you bought a car from me? Do you know someone who

>has? Do you know what my reputation is? Making stupid

>comments about things you know very little about ... seems

>like your MO

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H.

>Waldman

Skip, I guess your mom didn't give you any hugs as a kid. Sounds like you need one. To bad Roy is in a self imposed vacation from the board.

Yea she did ... I just need one from you. You are a hero to me. After all, you used to play and coach D1 sports ... but of course you choose to remain anonymous. I understand though ... It makes it so much easier to be an jerk.

I used to be the CEO of General Motors. I also designed the new Pontiac Solstice. Oh ###### ... I can't just make that up ... people know who I am. Damn ... I should've remained anonymous too, then I could be anyone I wanted to be. I could've one upped you and played and coached in the NBA.

Treat this board like a bar, everyone has their own opinion. Some you agree with others not. I don't think a board like this represents the ills of our society. Do we have weasels on here that wouldn't make the same comments to someone's face, most assuredly. They tend to be the most negative, most inane, most profane.

Of course you keep avoiding the facts ... you claim to be an ex D1 player and coach ... but you act like a 3rd grader. I for one think you are full of crap. You've never had a post with even a itsy bitsy teeny weeny iota of basketball knowledge. Your only contribution to the board is to ridicule not just me but many others with no cause. I think the funny thing is ... you think people on the board believe you, I don't think we have anybody that stupid posting.

You keep it up. You just look like an idiot, especially since everyone knows you are anonymous. call names and hide. You really are a man.

BTW ... I won 7 national championships when I was coaching D1

I'm picking him to play on my team .....

Because he's got you on this one. You can respond with some sort of personal attack but I expected that long before I decided to reply. Enjoy the anomynity ... for now ....

I agree with DocB on the denigration of society's manners. Soon, tht will all change as the litgious nature of our society takes over .... even though billiken roy is in self-imposed exile, anyone want to offer why its says "ID on File" at the bottom of his posts? Times will be a-changing .....

7 national championships....why are we here beating ourselves up when we have the next John Wooden selling cars? C'mon Skip, we need you man. As to Billsboy, how many former D1 coaches, asst coaches, for that matter water boys, are gonna post on a board with a bunch of know nothing fans? Try, none.

I think there are several reasons for why Creighton is now having recruiting success. They play in a brand new arena in front of a packed house averaging around 14k this year I believe. They have been to postseason play for 9 straight years(3 NIT & 6 NCAA). Altman is fairly well known nationally and has assistants with recruiting ties all over the country. Creighton will regularly play 10+ players each game, meaning playing time for freshman and newcomers can be had. Creighton plays an uptempo style of basketball along with a pressing defense.

These are reasons for why Creighton is where they are at now. When Altman first got to CU, he had to rebuild a program that was very down. It took 4 years to get an NIT bid, his first 4 years were: 7-19, 14-15, 15-15 and then 18-10 for the NIT. Altman was not bringing in top talent from day 1, but had to work at establishing his recruiting. This is something that takes time.

I think Brad is doing the same thing in that he is developing our program and doing it the right way for the long term. If Brad was really worried about his job security, he probably would have filled all of his scholarships with whatever live bodies he could find. Why save scholarships for the next year or two when he might not be around. Building a program does not happen over night and changing coaches every 4 years does not build a program either.

As far as SLU offering a "better education" I wouldn't be too sure of that. SLU and CU are very similar schools a lot of ways and I would say academically as well. One thing that CU does not have is a Wash U with it's superior academic reputation taking a lot of bright kids from the local area. CU is the academic power in their region. A very large percentage of the Drs and Lawyers in Omaha are CU grads. When the MVC had its tourney final on Mondays and when CU was playing in it, the newspaper always joked this was probably the worst day to get sick in Omaha because all of the Drs were in St Louis.

While Omaha doesn't have the professional sports on the level of St Louis, the NE/IA region takes its college sports very seriously. I have been to Rams games and I have been to Cornhusker games, there is no question which one is more exciting and fun. Omaha vs St Louis or SLU vs CU is not a slam dunk for either school.

He hasn't signed yet, he has only verballed. He just finished his soph year so cannot sign LOI until he is a senior. I found an article from Dec that I thought was kind of interesting. Good read, but ignore if not interested in Creighton.

BY CRAIG SESKER

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

He played college ball with a guy named Jordan.

And recruited three players who led North Carolina to the NCAA basketball title last March and became first-round draft picks.

Matt Doherty knows talent when he sees it.

So Doherty, now the coach at Florida Atlantic, was loving what he saw while watching a tournament last summer in Las Vegas. He immediately became enamored of a lightning-quick point guard from the Midwest named Antoine Young.

"Matt wondered how somebody that talented hadn't signed yet," said Bellevue West coach Doug Woodard. "He thought he was a senior. When he found out he was only a freshman, he couldn't believe it."

Young just turned 16, but the sophomore already is turning heads after being handed the keys to the potent Bellevue West offense. The Creighton recruit erupted for 29 and 26 points in his first two starts and has the No. 1 Thunderbirds eyeing a third straight state title.

The skinny kid with the cornrows has proven to be more than an adequate replacement at point guard for state player of the year Josh Dotzler, who now starts for Creighton.

"I expected Antoine would play like this in some games," Woodard said. "Did I think it would happen in the first two games? Probably not. He's obviously extremely talented.

"His ability to be creative around the basket is very impressive. He is so quick and explosive. He is an excellent ballhandler, and he shoots the ball very well. He's very special."

Dotzler agrees.

"When Antoine first started playing with us, you could tell right away he was very talented," Dotzler said. "You knew if he kept working, he was going to be a really good all-around player. He's very, very versatile. He's got a huge upside."

Young is averaging 20.4 points a game for a Bellevue West team that is 5-0 entering tonight's game at Papillion-La Vista South.

Young plans to follow his former teammate to CU even though he is still 21/2 years away from earning his diploma. Young committed to CU even though Big Ten schools Iowa and Illinois and Atlantic Coast Conference schools Georgia Tech and Clemson have shown interest.

Hang around a Thunderbird practice and you may see the 6-foot, 175-pound Young unleash one of his showcase dunks.

He starts with the ball in his hands at the 3-point line. He throws the ball high off the wall, races toward the basket and elevates to catch the ball after it bounces off the floor. He then turns his body 180 degrees to power in a reverse dunk.

"He can dunk it any way you want it dunked," Woodard said.

In his first game as a starter, against No. 2 Lincoln Southeast, the lethal left-hander banked in a contorting, highlight-reel shot.

"He lost control of the ball going to his left, and it looked like the ball was going out of bounds," Woodard said. "He was almost parallel to the ground with his back to the basket when he flipped the ball up off the glass with his right hand. It was an unbelievable play."

Young admits his defense is not quite on par with his offense, but Woodard said he can shut people down.

"He's very gifted defensively," Woodard said. "He can guard the ball about as well as anybody I've had."

Young's father, Wilbert, played basketball at Georgia Southern before embarking on a career in the Air Force that landed him in Bellevue.

"We still go at it pretty good," Antoine said. "He's taught me a lot. He's a lights-out shooter, and he used to kill me. I can finally beat him now. He's only 5-9, so I post him up and take him on the block down low."

Young's poise, maturity and pleasant demeanor were on full display during a recent interview as he smiled, laughed and responded confidently to an array of questions.

"I really don't mind all the attention. It's OK," he said. "My parents taught me to be respectful and not let all the attention go to my head. I just try to be a good person. It's nice to be recognized. I'm just a young kid trying to have fun."

Young was just 15 when he committed to the Bluejays in August. He became the youngest player to commit to CU. Dotzler also received an offer from the Jays before his sophomore year, but didn't commit until the school year started.

"I was shocked when Antoine committed that early," Woodard said. "He is a tremendous get for Creighton. They never, ever pressured him. They just really sold him on their program."

So why choose CU, a strong mid-major program, when he could play at a bigger school that receives more exposure?

"Creighton is playing big-time basketball right here in Omaha," Young said. "It takes all the pressure off. I don't have to think about which school I will play for or who is watching me. I'm at home and my family is right down the street. It's a perfect fit."

His pledge to attend CU hasn't stopped other D-I programs from calling. "I appreciate the offers," he said, "but I'm going to Creighton."

Young averaged around seven points and three assists as a freshman while playing behind Dotzler last year.

"Josh taught me that you don't have to score all the time to be an effective leader," Young said. "He was very calm and didn't get rattled. We are really close friends and talk a lot. With Josh being at Creighton, it did impact my decision a little bit to go there."

Young knows the comparisons with Dotzler are inevitable, but chuckles aloud when asked to compare their games.

"Hey, I'm only a sophomore - give me some time to work on my game," he said, flashing a smile. "I'm not perfect, and I'm not going to score 25 points every night. I'm going to make mistakes. I still have a ton of room for improvement."

Ok, that was just ridiculous. The ONLY thing that has never been questioned about Dustin's game is his shot. There has been plenty of critizism about that signing, but the one thing nobody ever questioned is his shooting...and now you're saying he can't shoot. And then you go on to say we should start trusting Quin when it comes to SLU basketball? Yeah, you'll get this program heading in the right direction.

I agree with you - CU and SLU are basically even when it comes to academics. Same goes for SLU and Marquette, Xavier, Loyola, Fordham, et al.

As far as pro sports is concerned, I can't imagine that's really a selling point for recruits. If a recruit is from Ohio, for instance, he's not going to come to St. Louis because we have the Cardinals, Rams and Blues.

I think it basically comes down to winning. CU wins and is a fixture in the postseason tournaments. We don't and aren't. That makes them a more attractive program.

Welcome to the board. For me I almost enjoy watching pro football at home more than I do going to the game. The atmosphere is just stale and the crowd doesn't really follow the game. Now this could be because the Rams are playing indoors, an outdoor stadium might make a difference. No question though college football games are a lot of fun to be at. Nebraska games are just a fun experience in great weather or crappy weather.

> Beating Billsboy is easy, despite his D1 experience

>

>

>Waldman

Thanks for the laugh to strat my afternoon. Skip, what you fail to realize is I only rip you and Roy and Whipping boy because you ask for it. I don't have anything to prove to you or anyone else on the board. I did coach and play. I know many coaches around the country and I still travel to evalute talent and speak at team get togethers. I retired from coaching about 4 years ago, and I just watched my daughter finish a solid career in the Pac 10 last year. Skip, don't rip me because you were the second team chess manager in High School. Which has led you to a career of wishing and dreaming. Oh, and making LEMONaide!!! You have a great day.

I agree. He's full of ######. I think it's funny. He has a daughter that just finished playing in the Pac 10. I feel bad for his daughter. Having a Dad like that must really suck.

I would think that to make it at the D1 level ... you would have to be a litle more mature and professional than noballsboy. Now me ... I'm just a lowly used car lot owner ... so for me it's ok.

Come on noballsboy ... just admit you are a liar.

There is a huge difference between me and you. I don't hide in anonyminity. I am who I am and I don't need to hide it from anyone.

You ... you are a chicken$hit coward ... who instigates trouble anonymously on a basketball message board while pretending to be someone you are clearly not.

>

>Come on noballsboy ... just admit you are a liar.

>

> There is a huge difference between me and you. I don't hide

>in anonyminity. I am who I am and I don't need to hide it

>from anyone.

>

> You ... you are a chicken$hit coward ... who instigates

>trouble anonymously on a basketball message board while

>pretending to be someone you are clearly not.

>

>Waldman

Your jealousy is sad. I think I am going to make some LEMONaide!!

> I agree. He's full of ######. I think it's funny. He has a

>daughter that just finished playing in the Pac 10. I feel

>bad for his daughter. Having a Dad like that must really

>suck.

>

> I would think that to make it at the D1 level ... you would

>have to be a litle more mature and professional than

>noballsboy. Now me ... I'm just a lowly used car lot owner

>... so for me it's ok.

>

>

>

>

>Waldman

It's actually a "low life" car lot owner. You were partly right. You should redo your screen name to I wish I was billsboys because your jealousy for my life and my daughters career is sad. You are so predictable it makes it easy. Skip, it's ok!! Your mom still loves you.

You're kidding ... jealous of you. I could just make stuff up and be just like you. Well I'd have to hide like a coward also.

Seriously, do you really think anyone believes you, please don't say you don't care, because you make sure you mention that you used to play and coach D1 in every other post.

It's funny, It's sad, it's pitiful ... its noballsboy

I could just make something up and have your life.

You're not catching on ... you are a liar, everyone knows. Are you slow? It's ok if you are, you could just make something new up, lets say ... maybe ... you graduated from MIT with a degree in Nuclear Physics ... wait ... you need more than that ... it was your PHD. Yea ... thats the ticket.

I'm a low life used car dealer and jealous of you ... is that all you got. ...

Just be a man ... say who you are.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been watching this board for about 5 years now and finally posted. The reason I like college football better than the pros are the tailgates, the bands (what is the Rams fight song?), the names usually identify the school (Cornshuskers, Jayhawks, Sooners, Illini, etc.), the rivalries (Mizzou-KU, Oklahoma - Nebraska, Ohio State- Michigan, Notre Dame - USC). It seems as if the pros have music piped into their stadiums whereas the colleges have their own bands with some hot girls on the sidelines. Of course the pros have some pretty hot girls too. The only two places in pro football that compare with college is Kansas City and Green Bay. That's my opinion anyway.