Recruiting secrecy

slu72

Directly .. no .. I am sure he was involved and I know from broy's accounts of the Lisch recruitment, he was. So I can extrapolate that out as far as I need to. What I was trying to say is that if my belief is correct, that the groundwork for recruits is mostly and initially laid by assistants, so be it for the big boy programs of the world and they can live by those standards. Saint Louis university, in my opinion, cannot .... at least until a winning foundation is laid.

Having said that, and I again admit I don't know how our little system works, I would think that until Brad and company have laid that foundation, Brad's involvement would need to be higher for some over others. I recognize that his time is limited, therefore would suggest (and maybe this is happening now) that certain "high target" recruits are identified and done so early. Right now we have that in Suggs, Griffey, Brandenburg, etc. So that would mean "Bradtime" almost exclusively. Show your biggest gun as early as you can. That's got to be the HC. The peripheral players would then have to come from uncovering those hidden gems that we often talk about and that seems to be a "beating the bushes" thing for the assistants. That also requires the utmost faith in the assistant by the HC in order to accept his evaluations as gospel. if it ain't the HC locally, then I think you need an assistant the level of a Bonner or a Claggett even ... one that says "man, I stayed home, played for the U and have great experiences that could also be yours one day."

We don't have that in Grunk, Thorpe or Beane.

I guess it kind of comes down to the old Parcells thing about "Being the chef means shopping for the groceries." Having been in a position where my professional livelihood depended on the whims of 16 and 17 year old kids, I know how tough it can be. If we are to have any chance, without a tradition of recent success to support us, then we have to outwork the opposition. For the most part, Brad's teams seem to demonstrate this on the court. But on the court starts with off the court and that's recruiting. Because kids today moreso sign with coaches and personalities, Bra'ds the guy I woudl think needs to be out there .... at least with the pre-detemined high priority kids.

Someone mentioned that we are behind the eight ball for the 2007 signing year because of our need to fill holes for the 2006-07 roster. I certainly agree. We need to develop so that we are using this time to maybe fill one roster hole on the upcoming season with focus on the next season. We cannot continually need three or four guys each spring period. At that rate, we will always be Johnnie-Come-Lately and the foundation will be much more difficult to lay.

It also wouldn't hurt, whenever practical, for Ian, Tommie, Kevin and others to attend a game or two of some of our target players. That's always a nice recruiting trick.

i hope there is some kind of rule against or at least limiting that. schools like mi$$ouri or memphis would probably use their athletes full time if they could for recruiting while schools like saint louis university are expecting the players to be in class and studying, you know being a student. imo it would create a definite advantage for some programs.

If a recruit is a local kid, like TL and KL, is it ok for him to just show up at West Pine and play pickups with the Billiken team? What if he is invited by a player to participate in pickup games, say DP asks Powell over to play a little hoops? Seems to me KL did this quite often, did he not? Is this type of activity banned by the NCAA? Mind you, no coaches involved or supervising any of this.

I just remember Shimmy talking about how she took her team to watch one of their recruits when they were in Cincinnati. I also heard that Romar took his team to watch a recruit when in California playing Pepperdine. If there's nothing wrong with Tommie & Kevin showing up at a few AAU games over the summer, they should do it.

i agree and see the merit, however, i can see memphis sending players out every available day to recruit as well. surely there is limits. we understand what is reasonable but the likes of a calipari would abuse it.

as long as it is just pickup basketball i cant think of a reason it would be limited in any way. but if it has any slu officialness no way.

Yea.. he could go down there and play. But "NO" coach's could be present, not even to watch. As long as it is just the players they can play and use the facilities. But coach's would not be allowed in the gym and could not instruct or help in anyway. The Recruit most provide their own transportation to and from the the gym too.

I have a suggestion. Didn't Wendell Bennett graduate from St Anthony's HS in Jersey City. The HS that the legendary Hurley coaches. That school is always a top 5 national program and produced a lot of D1 players. Maybe we can have Wendell just hang out at the St Anthony's gym and he can snag some players. LOL

>nate stated...."The last explanation I'll offer is that you

>don't see Brad Soderberg and his assistant coaches out at

>games recruiting very often. I cover a lot of games every

>winter and I almost never see a SLU staff member out looking

>at kids throughout the area."

>

>Nate, have you ever made the above statement in a P-D

>article or do you intend to make that statement in a P-D

>article any time soon?

Why would I write that in the P-D?

>Can you tell me which other D-1 head coaches you saw this

>winter and which players they were evaluating?

The only other head coach I saw at games this winter was Chris Lowery.

- Nate

>Yea.. he could go down there and play. But "NO" coach's

>could be present, not even to watch. As long as it is just

>the players they can play and use the facilities. But

>coach's would not be allowed in the gym and could not

>instruct or help in anyway. The Recruit most provide their

>own transportation to and from the the gym too.

>

I'm sure Powell can walk down Grand from Vashon to the SLU practice gym. It's a 15 minute walk. Griffster, I hear you are a Whitfield alum. I too attended Whitfield, from 1997-1999.