game thoughts

former_d1

Well fedricks can score in the post and Ike can score. Past that I have seen their greater atheletes beat our smart kids.

Brad coaching was not the problem, their quick kids just blow our guards up. He kept coaching and our kids keep playing. Our shoots just did not fall.

see everyone at the sms game.

We played with them until they got that spurt on their full court press. Sloppy ballhandling by Clarke and Hunt. Clarke did make a couple nice 3s today. His shooting will come in handy.

As usual fouls were totally out of whack. GT might have had a 4:1 foul ratio in their favor. Another reason for their big spurt was they mugged us on defense and no calls were made. Fisher and especially Sloan made some pretty dumb fouls though. Sloan was way out of control.

Bryant looked very good, but we had no other consistent offensive threat. Drejaj is really in a slump.

The outcome was not unexpected but I thought we could've done better. Still only really great teams can win a game like this on the road with the foul disparities, SLU is not there yet.

...the foul count? Are we forced to foul more because we are less athletic? Is it a statistical anomaly? Or....

P.S. I also thought I heard one of the commentators note that GT shot 65% in the 2nd half? Was that correct? If so, ouch!!

Georgia Tech has some athletic big men and are able to consistently drive to the hole with their guards. Penetrating off the dribble and creating scoring opportunities in the paint are the keys to increasing FT attempts.

While Bryant has the ability to draw some fouls with his penetration, there aren't many other Billikens who can. The key is getting Frericks involved inside, but he'll need to correct his endurance problems and be more disciplined inside.

If SLU can get Liddell and Polk in the wings, I expect their FT disparities with other teams to decline. Wait a couple of years and I think you'll see some improvement.

>BIG NAME TEAM little name team.....

No way. One, you're underestimating SLU. Two, the problem is we do not penetrate, we're strictly a jump shooting team who occasionally passes into the post - that will not draw fouls on our opponents. GT and Arizona drew fouls on us by penetrating from the perimeter and utilizing their quickness. Because Brad has our defenders playing so close to them once the offensive player makes a move and gets by our guys they are reaching out to try and stop them and picking up ticky-tack fouls.

Despite the score, I was encouraged by what I saw from the Bills. If a very quick athletic team like GT is going to have to their forwards step behind the line and rain 3s, then they will beat anybody. Frericks showed us something he had not all year--he can rebound, picks well, and can score from the block. Izik is playing within himself and looking solid. Clarke showed he does indeed have an outside shot. The step backward has been Drejaj. That was his worst performance in a Billiken uniform. He shot an airball on a freethrow!!!!

We once again proved that we are well coached. Unfortunately, I think we also proved that we don't have the talent to compete with a great athletic team like G Tech.

I would like to see Drejaj's and Varner's roles decrease and JJ's and Clarke's roles increase. Drejaj does a lot of things well, but he isn't shooting the ball well and is probably playing too many minutes right now. IMO, Darren's upside is a lot bigger.

I still have high hopes for this season, but it will be so nice next year to have a full roster from the start. Enough of the NCAA-mandated player suspensions, summer signees, and last minute surprises (e.g., McClain, Morris, etc.). Next year, we should have at least four or five eligible big men from the start of the season. Plus, every player on our roster will be a Soderberg recruit.

They won't be here till next year. I think Fisher has gone to the line more this year then he did in his 2 previous years. I think Fisher needs to start shooting the ball alot more and take some of Anthonys shots because the kid just keeps shooting and its not good for the team. Constantly heard the guys on the radio saying that Anthony was not getting out on his guy. Anthony you are a streaky shooter and if your shot is off you need to quit shooting the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run the offense.

I think we've seen the best from Drejaj already. I'm not saying more coaching will not help him, but I think we know what we have in him. He is very inconsistent and we never know which guy we're going to get. TF, hasn't showed us what he is capable of, and after today I do see Tom getting better and better and is capable of even more. I do not see IO getting any better, as I have said for a while. What we've seen is what we will get. DC looks like he has a lot of upside potential, which is expected. I think Sloan has peaked, but still needs to be the backbone of this team. Fish is solid. RV is RV. JJ has lots of upside potential. Ian, still yet to be seen. RB proves he can play and hasn't been in a uniform long at all - he will get better. This could be an interesting year.

It's interesting, I don't think they beat us that bad, especially at the start of the second half. We beat ourselves. We fell apart and let ourselves down. We started the game with not much confidence, then gained it. Started the second half, got rattled, lost confidence and then seemed to regain it towards the end.

I respectfully disagree.

We penetrate, on our possesions the balls go out of bounds or we just miss the shot. On GTs they get fouls called.

GT had 1 chrging foul. SLU had 4 or 5.

It is not the style of play, I can see many instances of fouls by GT that are just not called. Both teams foul the same amount as per their amount of possesions. The 4:1 disparity in favor of GT is unbelievable, but it what the big teams get. Almost all games close or blowouts have fouls called heavily one way or the other. Always in favor of the team who is at home, or a big name team who has their conference refs.

I did not get to see any of today's game as I had a family commitment. However, this was not a game that I thought at the beginning of the year that we would win. Obviously, GTech is even better than advertised, just ask UConn, as the beat them worse than they beat our Bills. Sounds like no real disgrace at all. I still think the best is yet to come and this team with Coach Soderberg at the helm will improve as the season goes progresses. I am looking forward to seeing more of JJ and Clarke. In a few more games we get Ian and he should also help. Things are looking up for our Bills.

Attendance, I don't care what other teams draw...that's their problem if they have crapola fans. I will only concern myself with my team and their attendance. I go along with the notion that we will have our share of band wagon jumpers when the time comes that we are a ranked team.