Post-game assessment

Sheltiedave

Another close game with some TOUGH defense on both sides. We had some outstanding outside shooting in the first half, and Danny Brown really impressed me with some physical play around the basket early in the second half.

Coach really had the team well prepared to attack the sliding matchup zone, and we exposed their left side in the first half. Overall, Temple will beat teams who either don't shoot well, or are not strong on the ball offensively. They are nail tough on defense, and will win a few games by running over other teams if the refs swallow their whistles, which they did in this one.

Ian really battled in the paint, but we had little success at penetrating from the key to make an entry pass to him. We were very patient and showed some discipline moving the ball crisply in the first half. We also were diligent keeping bodies on rebounders - I saw a lot of rebounds we gathered below the shoulders. Great position defense!

Overall, we won by hitting our open outside looks consistently. Our guards played a very solid game, excluding the final few minutes with ball handling.

That was the toughest zone I have ever seen the Billikens face, especially given the wingspan of those three guards. Maybe I wasn't really watching enough, but it seemed that Ian was constantly WAY away from the basket. #50 was big, but I don't think he was as quick as Ian.

even though drejaj had the turnovers, the job he did on collins the first 30 minutes was remarkable. collins is an nba player and anthony put him down. that was the difference in the game imo.

lisch played tough again, but dont under value what liddell did either. the kid just has an instinct for being in the right place at the right time. plus, he did the best job out front with the ball of all the guards.

they just beat the hell out of ian. this might have been the worst refs we have seen yet. i couldnt beleive what they let go but then every once in the while they would blow the whistle on stuff that was extremely tame compared to what they would let go. just horrible reffing. someone needs to explain the polk foul to me at the end of the game. if anything that was the fat kid over the back of ian how the hell could polk even be near anyone to foul unless they called it for polk fouling ian?

i think the billikens blew two non-game things tonight. first off, as willie said yesterday, why in the world wouldnt they announce the arena tonite at the game? what a perfect opportunity.

second, you have all those past billiken greats and you waste the opportunity to announce their names and let them have a second of warmth so some high school girls can dance and a bunch of little kids can run up and down the floor? if we didnt have the nearly 100 ex billikens fine. let them dance and play keep away, but dont disrespect our history.

a lot of new fans at the game. i got told to sit down twice tonite by some old guy that was clueless. i told him to talk to skip.

AD with 8 turnovers is no way a good thing. AD looked like he was playing for Temple. He way just handing the ball right back over. DP,LM,KL all at least 4 turnovers. Great win but the team need to take better care of the ball. It's getting close to win or go home time. Great job by TL, KL and DB off the bench. DB has been great the past few games.

Temple defense was just awesome. The finest zone defense you will ever see. Coach Chaney is one heck of a coach. We caught a break in Temple missing 20 three point shots. Our defense had something to do with them missing some of those.

Danny Brown had one of the worst defensive games I have seen for a Billiken guard in a while. His man repeatedly got around him as he was upright rather than down in position.

He was fortunate to be in a position to make a nice three, and showed tremendous speed on his drive to the basket, and took a nice feed and screen from IV on another basket. One was right after he made IV take his first foul stopping a man that got around him.

He has tremendous potential and athletic ability, but I'm not sure we come out ahead when he is on the floor.

mhg

Being at the game...It wasn't that big of a crowd (My friend did comment it was the most crowded he had seen the student section though.)

Temple's zone is really tough because it takes away the normal zone holes, such as the High Post and forces you to throw to the corners over the outstretched hands of their 6'4 guards. Temple's kids busted their ass constantly closing out, moving and recovering. There wasn't alot of open holes to attack and the inside was crowded. However, any hot shooting night from a team and Temple is in big trouble...a whole lot of open looks and whole lot more passed up in the later moments of the game.

Ball handling is an issue, as it was in the GW game when they pressed...Wow some of the TOs were just the guy reaching in and taking it away (Drejaj).

A good win in which SLU led the whole way...anytime SLU shoots 45% I think most teams are in trouble.

I gave him props for that. Well done, Danny. The three was great. He was tied with Kevin and Tommy for 2 pt buckets for the game. (The team had only one less three than twos for the game!)

I want him on the floor more, but I don't think he plays defense well enough to make the team better than it is now.

And I think JJ had three minutes too many last nite.

mhg

pomp said, "Being at the game...It wasn't that big of a crowd (My friend did comment it was the most crowded he had seen the student section though.)"

you do realize that in two years over 3,000 of last night's attendees wont even get in the game?

Not that big of a crowd? ... DId you have your eyes closed? There were over 12K in the building ... Savvis holds 22k and it was easily over half full. Put that in context with the average NCAA Div 1 basketball attendance. No it wasn't 20K ... but it was big ... I do wish the fans though would cheer the play as much as they jeer the officials. Of course I'm not saying let up on officials who suck that bad (why do we always have to get the opposing coaches girlfriend on our officiating crew) ... just bring the cheering of the game up to the same level

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

IMO two of the most important aspects of the game can't been seen on a stat sheet.

Tommie's control of the game ... he was clearly the man in charge. He showed patience in attacking the zone, moved the ball quicker and just kept things settled. He was an outstanding pg last night.

Ian's staying closer to the basket ... he was working to get established closer in keping Temple drawn in a bit. There was rarely a moment he didn't have 2 usually 3 defenders within an 2 arms lengths. This and our quicker ball movement is the reason we had so many wide open looks from the 3. Looks we were not getting earlier in the year.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman