Final 8 games

kevinfootes

If I could pry everyone away from the fascinating typo debate for a moment...how do we think SLU will do in the final 8 conference games?

I'm thinking they should do 5-3, which would make them 16-12 heading into the conference tourney. That's probably not enough for the selection Sunday group unless they win the conference tourney. IMO the need to go 6-2 the rest of the way and win at least two more at the tourney to make it to the big dance.

They are due for another clunker, but after last year I can't complain too much about this season so far.

I have no aspirations of this team getting into the tournament. That would take a miracle run in the A-10 tourney. This final stretch of the year is going to be a lot more difficult than most think. We have Dayton twice and they are playing much better, those are not gimmes. Duquesne on the road is no gimme win either. Temple, Charlotte, Xavier and Charlotte again are all very tough. I hope for .500 the rest of the way but we could easily go 2-6 or 1-7.

This is a young team that is inconsistent (need I remind anyone of our little streak???). IF we go .500 for the rest of the way, that will not be horrible. That said, I think this team has the POTENTIAL to go 8-0, but I wouldn't even bet Billiphan's lunch money on it.

2-6 or 1-7? I have trouble believing that. The game @ Duquense needs to be a win. They are terrible. We need to split with Dayton. And quite frankly we should beet RI at home since we have proven the ability to win at their place. Thats 3. The rest are pretty much toss-ups but I'd be shocked if we don't get at least 3 wins of the next 8. 5 wins is my best guess.

The final 8 games represents a very treacherous part of the season in my opinion and a 4-4 split would be realistic and a 15-13 finish. Two wins in the tournament and we could be NIT bound. A considerable improvement over 04-05.

However, in my pre-season picks I have us 3-5 in the last 8 games for a 14-13 finish.

Either situation is better than my overall season prediction of 12-16.

Go Bills!

Remaining games

Xavier - W

@Dayton - W

@Duquesne - W

Temple - L

Rohde Island - W

@Charlotte - L

Dayton - W

@La Salle - W

That would make us 17-11 going into the tournament. Our post season would depend on how well we do in the A10 tournament. Two or more wins and we would stand a pretty good chance of making the ncaa's.

Maybe optimistic but that is my guess for now. What is yours?

.... if I would have answered the way the torch did, you woulda jumped my case. So too would skip. No fair guys! Foul! Technical foul (Those foul calls are for skip -- I know how he loves to jump those kind of guys at Savvis!).

As I've said before, this team seems so unpredictable, that prognostications are an exercise in futility, or so it seems. Wonder if Cheney throws the Ingram thug into the fray to target Ian. Somebody better be ready to play enforcer .... even if it is the refs. I'd like to escape that game in one piece. A win would be even sweeter.

I think we should beat Rhode Island and Dayton at home. Locks. I think we should also beat Duquesne on the road. Tsueg is still asking me about my lack of respect for Richmond. That is true; but I have even less for Duquesne. I'm thinking Charlotte is a lock loss. So there's 3 and 1. The other four are toss ups in my opinion. Temple got creamed at Umass -- we could do that to them as well. We already beat X == but I believe it will be a battle at home. La Salle has a nice record but didn't play anybody -- who knows. And that leaves Dayton on the road as well.

If you take the old "Gambler" song and change the line about card hands, you have this "Every game is winnable, every game is losable."

I didn't call him out as a poster because I haven't noticed a pattern of negativity the way yours can sometimes APPEAR.

I don't think there is anyway we only get 1 or 2 wins out of the last 8. We may be inconsistent but that inconsitency will mean we play well enough in some of the games to get at least 3-4 wins. Again, I believe we'll get 5.

Real toughies: X, Temple, @Charlotte let's go 1-2

Toughies: @ Dayton, 0-1

Toss ups: @LaSalle, Dayton 1-1

Locks (if there is such a thing): RI, @Duquense

4-4, a two game run in the tourney or maybe even one w gets us NIT at 16-14? Maybe, maybe not.

But....I think X and Temple at home are winnable games. Not predicting W's, I would never put my hard earned $ on this team, but they could do it. Let's say they do: Now we're at 5-3/ 17-13 NIT looking better. I can't see us at this point getting to the championship game so still only 1 W in tourney. Now NIT looks much better.

However, if we beat X and Temple at home, I'm going to change my mind on the tourney thing...I think...Actually, I think I'm going nuts trying to figure this all out....there ain't no way....screw it, I'm going to sit back and enjoy seeing how it all plays out.