End of homestand random thoughts, the good/bad/ugly

bauman

You my friend truly have blinders on when it comes to IV. You find zero weakspots in his game. If he was jumping so well why do you think his coach has a shorter player jumping at the opening tip. Obviously, he is jumping better than he did last year since he dropped at least 25 lbs., BUT he still cannot get very high off the floor. Try watching that aspect of his game and watch his "rebounds" for the nest few ggames. If you can take the blinders off you will note that he isn't getting any rebounds by going high off the floor-most of them he gathers because they come right to him.

Hey, I put him in the good category-he's improved alot in my view since last year, but that doesn't mean he is doing everything great. At least be somewhat objective.

I assume since you didn't jump to his defense on my other "must improve on list" you at least have noted his inability to hold on to the ball tightly. It is frustrating to watch him lose the ball every game to someone (usually a guard) who takes a swipe at it while he is holding it.

jj,

stemler is at a disadvantage defensively as he is asked to guard the other team's power forward, normally in the low block area. stemler is just too under-sized to get that done consistantly.

if you recruit stemler....you recruit him as a perimeter player, small forward type. No way in hell is he a power forward at a high D1 level.

stemler is a scorer....was in high school and is as a red-shirted juco sophmore, playing in a good juco league.

if you played 4-out and 1-in offensively....perhaps stemler fits the bill as one of the 4-out players as he is a very good shooter/scorer. defensively and rebounding wise....he can only get better.

bauman,

every current Billiken, and every college player playing today, have holes in their games....that's why they are not playing in the NBA.

Please come back in April 2007 and tell me where IV ranks with the other Billiken centers for the past 25-30 years.

You were so blind to Ian's basic skills for the past two plus years (hands, touch, passing ability, bball sense)that now you are demanding something 100% pure. Sure Ian has some work to do (thank God, otherwise he would be playing professionally in Europe today) and I expect him to play even better in the future.

Hopefully, SLU will bring in a shooter or two so that next year IV can play a little 1 on 1, versus today's 1 on 2 and 1 on 3.

occasionally loses the ball to the other teams guards is that the constant double and triple teaming is likely to get you once in a while. I just looked at his stats and it says he is averaging 2.4 turnovers per game. That number includes every time he walks (times like when an Iowa guy jumps on his back and the offical calls walking), times when he throws it away, times when he gets hacked by three guys with no call (hack a Shaq has turned into hack a Greek), times when he throws a perfect pass to a cutting guard who can't handle it, etc.

My point is for a guy that touches the ball on nearly every possession and has shown the ability to score any time he is left with a one on one situation, I think its impressive he doesn't get it stripped on double and triple teams more often.

You really are looking for the most minor of flaws by criticizing Ian on this.

Ian will never have the hops of a JJ or TL but as many times as he's slammed it down in traffic I have a hard time complaining about his vertical these days.

My only real complaint about Ian is we don't have two of him.

What exactly does Ian weight these days. I've seen it messaged here on other threads that we lost 25 pounds. So, was he weighing 300? I highly doubt that. Is he down to 250 now? Muscle weighs more than fat and he leaned up some but now sure he dropped 25 pounds. Just curious since opposing play by play guys say he is 270 - 275.