future radio options for SLU

kevinfootes

I'm glad that KFNS promotes SLU basketball, I just wish you could pick up the signal after dark, in downtown St. Louis, when you pass under a bridge, etc. It's really hit and miss.

I'm speculating that KMOX will make a mad scramble to get the Blues or Rams whenever those contracts are up. That might open the door for SLU on 550 AM, which has a good signal. Does anybody know the status of Blues/Rams radio deals?

KMOX seems as if they have decided to get out the sports business - their sports dept is very non existent anymore. The truth is I understand how hard it is for some to get the game on the radio but the daily pub we get is worth an awful lot since that station is the # 1 sports talk station during the day. KMOX might be ready to let MU drop also then it will be interesting to see who ends up with MU and us.

I agree ... I like the way KFNS promotes the Bills ... but it doesn't mean alot to me if I can't hear the game. If we are to remain with KFNS ... they need to get better coverage of the entire Stl. metro area.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

They have little control over that - that is the decision of the FCC so they can try all the little stuff to try to boost the power but the truth is it will never be significantly better than it is now. People who are out of the listening signal will simply have to get it through XFM or Sirrus or stream. Personally, I kind of get it enough to listen with some interference but how can we replace the kind of PR we get during the daytime? On KMOX or 550 we would never be mentioned.

In case you guys didn't know, all AM radio stations in St. Louis, except KMOX, are forced (I'm assuming by law) to power down once it gets dark out. Stations like 1380 ESPN and KFNS that don't have near as strong of a signal as KMOX end up having an even weaker signal. That might be why you can't hear those stations all the time at night.

I think several schools in the A-10 have a deal with Sirrus(doesn`t look right),but SLU doesn`t I think that Skip is right, any out of towners will have to that direction(that or XM) in the future to listen to the Bills.

I am sure if the Bills make money for them, they will consider more aggressively how to create a network. Skip - it does matter to pump up the team locally - while the game might not be able to be heard by everyone - most in the area can get it somewhat and it can lead to more ticket sales.

The problem with saying it is up to SLU to build the network is that within the local area - KFNS probably owns the rights and so we could never sell the product to someone in Washington or Bellville if KFNS defines its broadcasting area as them and I would suspect they do. So locally, it is up to KFNS to figure it out and they will if they are making $.

If KFNS considers Washington as part of their broadcast area they have severe delusions of grandeur. Sorry but the folks you live more than a stone's throw away from the KFNS transmitter are just as screwed as those without Charter Cable. Hopefully the program takes off and we have more options.......