Arena

big al

Has anyone heard of the tenative date for an August 05 announcement?...Also, it seems that the AD should give more visibility and status...This would encourage supporters to buy into the probram and to take more ownership.

I just think she could tell us where SLU stands in relation to the fund raising goal...Give us some actuals on pledges...It may be an incentive for additional support...We see this type strategy in other fund raising efforts such as the United Fund. Salavaion Army Drive, Etc....Put it on the SLU Web Site so everyone can see it.

until the "bill laurie" for the project shows, up, i agree. it aint happening by buying $250 bricks.

At this point I don't see a need to rush into a new arena, not withstanding BM's day counting. The proposed site is not readily accesible from Hwy 64. The Grand Ave exit, from 64, is a hairpin turn. It clogs up w/ traffic rapidly for Fox and symphony events and they do not have the attendance numbers the SLU Arena has the potential for. The other pertinent 64 exit is Market St., which occurs just prior to the Grand exit. It is a curvy, dark, dank, dismal, and depressing affair. You enter the exit and would then left turn off of Market onto Compton. These two exits. Grand and Market, seem legitimate obstacles. Hwy 64 is to improve these exits, but that seems still a couple of years off. Hopefully a Compton exit will be built and I seem to recall a PD article indicating this. Given the highway situation I think SLU can take its time. Savvis is reportedly for sale. Therefore, the situation there may improve, but my guess is it will not get worse. Given the highway situation, the Savvis dynamics, and the changes occuring in the arena neighborhood, I am satisfied with the pace of events regarding construction. The area adjacent to the proposed site continues to improve and the longer SLU waits the more desirable the arena location becomes as a place we want to commute to.

We finally have two basketball coaching staffs in place who have the skills, knowledge, and work-ethic to bring the two programs to the top of the A-10 and make legit trips to the NCAA tourney, and we can't give them the resources necessary to get the talent they need. Why do some in this community maintain such high expectations for the coaching staffs and their programs when they are not on an even playing field with the competition in the recruiting wars?

Recruits walk into West Pine, when they visit with the coaches in their offices, and laugh at the fact that they either practice or play in that facility. Regardless of the team, the majority of their basketball lives are spent in this relic.

The budgets for our teams are overshadowed by the most common of teams in the Missouri Valley. Whoever is in charge of the University does not see the need to field competitive athletic teams. It starts at the top.

It is not fair to expect our basketball teams to consistently compete with top-50 teams when they are given the resources comparable to teams with an rpi of 300.

KN - do you have data to back your statement that the SLU basketball budgets are not equal to that of MVC teams? If so share it - if not, and I don't think you have it because this topic has been discussed many times on this board and it has been shown that SLU was right in the middle - in other words on par - with the CUSA teams. It is wild unsubstantiated statements like yours that simply show how uniformed some of SLU's fans are.

Big Al - reread your post - it clearly is presented as a question to the board - " has anyone heard anything about the Aug. 05 announcement about the arena." If any of us had any more information it would have been shared already. I still say - ask the AD department and then maybe you can share what you find out with us.

just maybe, knight rider is claiborne or slaten.

their slu bashing was at a peak this week.

slaten kept going on and on about the schedule was too tough. but then he was ripping the buy games. he said the game to unc was just stupid and would be a massacre. and emphatically declared there was no way that unc would come to slu.

i sent an e-mail telling them that the game is likely because of a promise by williams to hansborough to play a game in the area and thus likely indeed was the first of a series to be completed next year in st louis. of course he never brought it up the entire show.

Broy, why o' why do you continue to listen to them. When the self-proclaimed KING, in the same broadcast, called Brad a lier and B. Weber a lier who can't coach (this was pre-season last year--Wonder how he would have done if he could coach?), I signed off. Don't call or e-mail him as it is exactly what he wants to show his bosses what a large fan base he has.

Coach Soderberg was on with Rammer for about 10-15 minutes around noon today. You can really hear the excitement in Soderberg's voice....he's ready to go!

Coach stated that Duke wanted to have SLU be a "buy" game at Cameron this year. Soderberg told Duke he was not interested in being a "buy" game, but would do a home and away. Duke, evidently, only wanted the "buy" game. SLU passed on the offer.

On the other hand, North Carolina/Roy Williams was willing to do the one-for-one.

Soderberg likes his schedule....some very difficult games and some "buys" that they should win. He knows SLU needs to steal a difficult win or two, and sweep the buys.

Talked a bit about AAU ball and how a young player needed to fit both into his schedule.....the tough competition that AAU brings and the skills improvement that individual local workouts bring. He thinks a player can do both.

When asked about this year's team he quickly and briefly mentioned that the perimeter depth was very good.

He knows what he has at the perimeter. Obi might be great but coach has not seen him play or practice live yet only film and word of mouth. What I took from him was that he knows the perimeter play will be good and that is what it takes to be successful today - at least that is what he said is a common thread among teams that have currently done well.