'05 recruiting class

slu72

We are off the radar. But really what difference does it make.

Obi was a top 100 guy as a jr. Liddell and Lisch occasionally popped up on top 150 lists during their hs careers.

My main concern is how we stack up against the best teams in our new home the A10. Hopefully, we end up in that mix because in the long run those are the teams we will have to beat our for Big Dance bids.

I think we'll stack up just fine against our new friends in the A-10. But I'm not willing to settle for just doing well in conference. I want to stack up against some of the better teams in the country. Making it into the big dance and getting our butts kicked is not my idea of fun. It'd be nice to go to the tourney with a real chance to make some noise. I think we'll be able to do that soon.

It has been long enough for me that the first step in just making it will be a heckuva an accomplishment. After we have made it then I will be concerned with winning and seeing how far we can possibly advance.

I used to have that approach to life. Just get to the next step, then I will work on getting to the higher level. Doesn't work. One can gain satisfaction internally on getting to the next level, but we must aspire, nay, demand that we look to being consistently competitive at a high level.

This level is within our capability. It takes the commitment of effort and resources. We can argue whether both of these have been there in the past or the present, but both are needed.

I believe we have the coach to do it, still don't know if we have the AD to do it, only because of the short time to observe. Is the administration committed enough to get us there...that is the question I believe any right thinking observer would have to ask.

We are truly at a crossroads in this program. We are at the time that a coaching staff has had the necessary time to recruit and work the area to see if they can spot the talent and drive to match the approach they have to D-1 basketball. This will be an important two year stretch. Was last year truly an aberration due to injuries in Tom Frericks and Reggie? Will IV develop further than he showed last year? Will these freshmen play like freshmen or more like the mature experienced, ball savvy players we have been hearing for two years now.

It will be fun, but let's demand excellence. It has been a while since I heard TEE or others talk about getting a top 100 recruit in here. They won't come til we win a little, so this will be a fun year.

mhg

Got the new Recruiter`s Handbook yesterday(They never give us ANY love,they had ryan Hollins listed at like 280 then when he signed with UCLA jumped to like 132,or so)).They ranked their top 60,after that,went to honorable mention,looks like we were #78.Had Liddell #143,Ibekar #276,and Lisch top 350.